'05 115 bhp TDCi Dodgy Starting - TonyE
On Saturday 20th I bought a 55 plate Mondeo from a fiat dealership. I have noticed a couple of times that when I start it, it starts but runs really badly. You have to switch it off and start it again. It's as though it wants to, or is on the verge of stalling - presing the accelerator doesn't clear it. It doesn't happen every time, perhaps 1 in 4 starts. I guess it could be that it's filters need changing, but I was told that they would service it before I took delivery.

Any ideas?

Altered the subject line for you to include the engine type. Do a forum search -------->
over there somewhere on the right you'll find oodles of useful info on this engine.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 22/10/2007 at 14:14

Dodgy Starting - paulb {P}
What engine are we talking about here - petrol or diesel?
Dodgy Starting - Pugugly {P}
|Engine type and size would help our resident experts.
Dodgy Starting - rtj70
It's bound to be a diesel and the Mondeo TDCi debate kill kick in again.

Whatever engine it's got, go back to the FIAT garage to get them to sort it. Sounds like the fault is reproduceable which is always a good thing.
Dodgy Starting - grahamw
Hi TonyE,

I'm persuming your Mondeo is petrol?
My 05 Focus 1.6 petrol does exactly as you describe with the exception of occuring about once in 20-30 starts.
It has always done it since I bought it at 1 year old with 13000 on the clock.
I have taken it back to my local Ford dealer for this and to investigate uneven idling.
Their cure didn't work and is a Focus specific water leaking into the top of the cylinder head problem.
The fixafordcar website mentioned that fuel leaking out of one or more injectors to be the problem. They recommend after failing to start proberly to remove the spark plugs to see if one or more of them is wet and to replace the corresponding injectors.
I will be very interested to hear the views of other forum members and your future experiance.

Regards

Graham
Dodgy Starting - TonyE
Sorry folks, it's a TDCi the 115 bhp one. Cheers for the comments
Dodgy Starting - Screwloose
TonyE

Straight to a Ford dealer; get them to run the VIN through the computer and print-off the history of this car.

If this was sold because this fault was present and "incurable" - then back it to the selling garage and buy another one elsewhere.

It's not for you to sort existing grief. This is a Ford warranty issue - even if they've fobbed it off with the "contaminated fuel" con.....
Dodgy Starting - TonyE
Blimey that sounds serious - I was hoping it might just be a simple thing - so is this a common fault?
Tony

There have been several problems with th TDCi; [use search above] given where this car was sold, was it for this reason?

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=56...5
Dodgy Starting - TonyE
I've just checked with Ford over the phone. They looked it up and said that there has been no warranty issues with the car. It looks like whoever had it before simply got shut when the big service came along - at 37k it was supposed to have new filters. The place I bought it from said that they would service it before I got it but I suspect their idea of servicing it was probably to check the levels.

I'm not sure what I should do. Should I

take it back to the Fiat dealer ship I bought it from to get it put right - they obviuosly sold it with this fault in place. The best bit is that the car has done 2000 miles since they bought it, so they must have had this crop up before.

or

Take it to Ford and have it serviced as part of it's warranty - it still has to Nov 08 to run on that.

Also (as I have never had a car with any manufacturers warranty on it) do I have to get it serviced at the Ford garage to comply with their warranty?

Sorry to keep adding to this! All comments are much appreciated.
Dodgy Starting - Pugugly {P}
I'd start discussions with the sellers' garage. You only bought it on Saturday. As another (and me) have suggested, have a trawl through the issues experienced by others on this forum. You must consider what your future relationship with this car is going to be.
Dodgy Starting - TonyE
Cheers I did read them and the guy at Ford did suggest replacing the filters as should have been done at the 37k service. I think the Fiat dealers will be my first port of call - but after I have checked to see if it got it's big service stamp from Fords.
Dodgy Starting - paulb {P}
Another thing possibly to have checked is the auxiliary belt and tensioner - mine (130) was starting to do something similar to this (although not as bad) and it turned out that the tensioner was breaking up (at 33k miles - great) and shredding the belt. Replacing belt and tensioner has cured the problem entirely - and it was done under warranty, too.
Dodgy Starting - Altea Ego
Tony

Everyone has been polite to you up to know, with gentle suggestions and nudge nudge say no more. YOu seem not to be hearing them.

So here goes. sorry to offend

Stop mithering on about the filters and a big service. YOu have here a potential lemon and the early chance to get out unscathed.

Your options are limited to this choice.

Go back to the selling garage, Register with them that you are unhappy with the car because it has a defect. Tell them you want the defect resolved to your satisfaction or you want your money back.

The alternative is that 12 months down the line you are looking at a two thousand plus bill with Ford telling you "sorry not our problem its been misfuelled"

You want to beleive this car has been sold because the owner didnt want to shell out for a service. My view is that is HIGHLY unlikely.
------------------------------
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >

Edited by Altea Ego on 22/10/2007 at 16:22

Dodgy Starting - mjm
Seconded, A E.

OP buys car on Sat, on Mon is on car forum with problem.

The cause of the problem is irrelevant to the OP, really. The supplying dealer should be more interested in that.
Dodgy Starting - DP
Thirded.

You've had the car less than 72 hours and it's playing up. It's the supplying dealer's problem. The timeframe means that the fault will be considered to have been present when you bought the car, so its the dealer's legal obligation to resolve the matter to your satisfaction.

And anyway, you really don't want to be getting involved in repairs to a common rail diesel. It doesn't take much to be wrong to push the bill well into four figures. I cannot stress enough how important it is that you do not buy one of these if it doesn't run perfectly.

Go and see them, and politely but firmly explain the situation. Don't be fobbed off or accept anything other than a full repair, or a refund. I would be pressing for the latter personally.

Good luck!

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Dodgy Starting - Aprilia
What's most interesting is that the dealer has done 2k miles in the car since (presumably) taking it as a trade-in. I wonder why? Could it have been sold before and come back?
Dodgy Starting - bell boy
a very good point indeed aprilia
Dodgy Starting - spikeyhead {p}
Surely if that were the case then it would have acquired a new owner in the log book. I don't know of a dealer that sells cars and just lets the new owner have the whole log book without filling any of it in and sending the right bits off to the DVLA. It's possible, just unlikely.
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Dodgy Starting - TonyE
Cheers for the comments. I was hearing what has been said, but was interested in hearing possible reasons why, so that I don't go in there and have them blind me with all things mechanical. I have also noticed a fair bit of smoke when I accelerate, something I never noticed on either of my last 2 diesel Mondeos.

I will be calling them today to explain what is wrong and tell them that I want to have it sorted.

One of the people at the dealers said that they had been driving it for a while which could well be the 2k miles.
Dodgy Starting - rtj70
Maybe they've done 2000 miles whilst trying to sort out the car's problems. Personally on a second hand car with limited warranty left I think I'd try to get my money back in this situation.

You seem to think it was traded due to an expensive service but it could just as easily been a misfueling with petrol and they traded it - and now the problems are about to start. If Ford even imply this any warranty is void and you're looking at big repair bills.

Also how many miles has it done? Has it had it's 37500 mile service? How many miles over is it? Thinking about the warranty again.

I'd be taking this car back to the supplying dealer today.
Dodgy Starting - TonyE
Ok I'm going to take it back. They told me they would service it before I got it. I've just checked it and there appears to be oil spillage on the plastic cover over the engine. The oil itself is way above the max level, watery and very very black. So it's going back for them to rectify the stuttering start and they can service it too like they promised.
Tony

Don't get side-tracked into the servicing issue - reject it and move on.

A Fiat garage won't have a clue about a TDCi - not many Ford garages do.
Dodgy Starting - TonyE
Agreed, but if they promised to do something and didn't it doesn't bode well for other the things they stated.

Dodgy Starting - TonyE
I tried to tag this on but it got rejected.

I am going to take it back. However it has not done it since Sunday, so reproducing it might be an issue. Do I have to give them the chance to rectify the problem?

The worst part is that I traded in my old Mondeo to get this and now I'l have no transport - meaning finding a new car is going to be difficult with no transport.

Also, how do they do the refund as my old car was traded in against the price of this one. Would they have to refund me my trade in plus my deposit and cancel the finance.

Edited by TonyE on 23/10/2007 at 14:38

Tony

Out clutch of legal experts will be better able to advise you on that.
Dodgy Starting - frustratedmondeo
As you can tell by my screen name, I too had a few (!!!) running/starting issues with a TDCi Mondeo. It was a 2002 TDCi (130) estate. I had it from new as a company car & had to endure four painfull years & 120,000 miles of woe. It went back to three Ford garages to supposedly have them fixed, but they never were. Take it back to the supplying garage & give them one chance to sort it, if they don't get your money back. A badly running TDCi is a major headache.

I pity the new owner of YM02 ***.......{partially obscured for what should seem apparant - DD}

I now have a 2006 2.0TDi Passat. I'd love to be able to say how much better it is, but I can't........

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 23/10/2007 at 19:38

Dodgy Starting - TonyE
Thanks for the info guys. An update! I have spoken to the garage and I'm going to play it this way. I will go through the motions of letting them fix it. It is booked in for the service it was supposed to have had - they insist that it was serviced. The service guys comment about the oil being pitch black is that this is normal in diesels after only a couple of days use - I've not noticed it on my other Mondeo diesels - he had no answer as to why it was way above the max level on the dipstick (off the dipstick infact). I have said that I want all the filters done, which they are going to do.

If this problem is related to something more serious then the problem should exist after their work and I should be able to spot it the following week. Once the problem crops up again I'll be taking it straight back with a view to getting my money back. I suspect that I should be doing this by this time next week!

I know that everybody has said that I should take it back straight away, but if they dig their heels in and I have to go down the legal route, then I suspect that I will have to show that I have allowed them a chance to rectify the issue.
Dodgy Starting - kithmo
he had no
answer as to why it was way above the max level on the dipstick (off
the dipstick infact).

This may be part of the original problem, if a diesel is overfilled with oil it can run on it's own engine oil.
-----------------------------------------------
2005 Ford Mondeo Zetec 2.0 TDCi 130ps
Dodgy Starting - TonyE
An Update.....

It's still at the dealership where I bought it - dropped off yesterday. They are sending it to Ford to get them to look at it as it is still under waranty. So basically they don't know what is wrong with it.

So if Ford can't find the fault, then I'm going to reject it. If Ford do find a fault them I'm going to reject it. So basically they are in a no win situation. They have given me another Mondeo for the duration it's with them.

Out of interest, what damage could be done by having far too much oil in it? I've done about 300 miles in it since I bought it, so that is going to be part of the reason why I want to reject it.

Cheers
Dodgy Starting - rtj70
What spec Mondeo have they lent you? Is it the same and therefore could you swap.

Also, who's insurance are you driving the loan car on? If yours have you informed your insurance company if necessary?
Dodgy Starting - TonyE
The loan car is the same spec except it's perol and not diesel - so I wouldn't do a swap. My insurance states that I can drive another car while mine is in a garage for up to 7 days - but I think I'll confirm that.
Dodgy Starting - TonyE
Another update....

I've just been told that the car is back and ready to be picked up. They said it was a software problem with the engine management system!!! How that would effect the amount of oil in it I don't know. I have been told that it is ready to be picked up. Any suggestions. I'm not keen in taking on a lemon. I plan to run it's pink fluffy dice off this weekend to see if it has any problems.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 01/11/2007 at 18:45