Have you bought based on recommendations here? - BobbyG
Carrying on from the Fabia vrS thread, have you ever bought a car, accessories etc based purely on advice, info given here. I will start off with

Fabia vrS - I had redundancy money burning a hole in my pocket about the time there were lots of discussions on here regarding how great fun a vrS was as well as being a practical daily car. Think it was PG who instigated it with her trying to get advice on a new lease car.

Altea XL - would not have thought of one of these as a replacement for my Scenic but RF?TVM wrote a glowing report on it and compared it to many of the rivals that I was considering!

Pressure Washer - from Aldi or Lidl, can't remember, but based purely on good recommendations on here.
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
Have you bought based on recommendations here? - J Bonington Jagworth
I've discussed the purchase of a car and a bike on here before the event, and have had some ideas confirmed and other preconceptions squashed, all of which have been very helpful. I don't remember acting directly on one person's advice, rather taking various comments on board, but they certainly helped me make both decisions.

I'm sure it would help spread the blame if it didn't work out, too.. :-)
Have you bought based on recommendations here? - PoloGirl
No, I don't drive a Mondeo Tdci or a japanese car. But I have saved my ipod from certain death thanks to IHAQ!
Have you bought based on recommendations here? - DP
Technical advice has been first class on here, but buying decisions are personal things IMO.

Besides which about half the recommendations on the Scenic were glowing, and half were "don't touch with a bargepole". What do you do in this case?

We opted to go for it based on 50% recommendations and against 50% of advice.

So far, we haven't regretted it, although its first MOT is on Tuesday.....

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Have you bought based on recommendations here? - mrmender
Technical advice has been first class on here but buying decisions are personal things IMO.

Could't agree more. I would never post here for advice on my next car. If i said i wanted a People carrier, somebody would end up recomending a fiesta or such like!
Set your self 2 choices then look around on this site to see which is the best for you
Have you bought based on recommendations here? - blue_haddock
well personally i'm just off out to buy a mondeo TDCi ;-)
Have you bought based on recommendations here? - L'escargot
I've bought genuine wiper blades based on recommendations here, and now I wouldn't dream of buying any other. On both fit and function they beat any pattern parts, and the price for my Focus is within pence of anything some other well known chains sell.
--
L'escargot.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 22/10/2007 at 10:46

Have you bought based on recommendations here? - Tomo
I have purchased one or two accesories, but not cars; unless we count as "here" HJs car-by-car breakdown, which was consulted, usefully, on the occasion of my last three acquisitions.
Have you bought based on recommendations here? - Dulwich Estate
I must be a trusting sort of soul then. I have bought on BR recommendation:

Peugeot 306 diesel

Nissan Micra (for someone else)

Humax digital TV receiver.

Renewed windscreen at a depot and not in the road.

Rejected supermarket petrol and never bothered with super diesel.

Rejected AA/RAC for cheaper alternative.

Also it gave me the confidence to succesfully fix a laptop overheating problem.

I'm still waiting for advice to find the best sat nav for someone else too.

There may be a couple more things but I can't remember just now.
Have you bought based on recommendations here? - Dulwich Estate
I'm a bit disappointed by the slow response to this one. The BR seems full of questions in all the separate fora but so few now want to say how it helped them.
Have you bought based on recommendations here? - Hairy Elbow
Yup, bought an FTO a few months ago after reading about it here. Lots of fun and I can even get a childs seat in the front with out having to worry about airbags!
Have you bought based on recommendations here? - leef
Yes,

After reading about Ford Mondeos a while back on the BR, I decided I'd give one a crack, im not dissapointed. Cracking car no major expensive problems.

Thanks
Lee
Have you bought based on recommendations here? - dereckr
Decosol screen washer fluid was recommended by a couple of people on a thread about curing smeary screens. I bought some...excellent stuff, well worth the price.

Edited by dereckr on 23/10/2007 at 14:35

Have you bought based on recommendations here? - Jase
Have always found this site massively useful and it has defintely contributed to buying:

Seat Leon VT - HJ ran one and recommended it
then swapped for
C-Max 2.0TDCi - ditto
and recently added a
Corsa 1.2i "railway station and back car" - bell boy + others

very happy with all thanks!

Have also used the posts on here to forward recommendations to friends less interested in cars but wanting advice.

I don't bother going to any other motoring forums tbh.
Have you bought based on recommendations here? - henry k
Yes.
A Mondeo ( but fingers crossed for my auto @115K )

Khumo tyres

Silverstar headlamp bulbs

Another Ford ignition key ( now have three ) as insurance against £150+ for Ford to reprogram the security system.

Have you bought based on recommendations here? - OAP
I found this: www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=17...8 very helpful when trying to make up my mind about floor mats.
Have you bought based on recommendations here? - oldtoffee
A few years ago, I needed a decent sized cheap car. I bought a Mondeo 2.0 petrol following HJ's positive experiences and the recommendation in the CBC guide. I even plucked up the courage to buy it from auction which I would never have done without the great advice here from so many. It was 6 years old had done 110,000 miles, I paid £1050 for it IIRC. I ran it for a year and about 35,000 miles, a few trim and electrical niggles but it never let me down and it only cost me fuel, tyres and servicing.
Have you bought based on recommendations here? - wemyss
Yes I did buy my wife?s replacement car in May acting on advice and discussion from this site.
But it wasn?t makes or models which influenced me.
We have had two cars and from the 1980s have always had diesels. I love them and thought I would never again in my motoring days buy a petrol car. There is nothing which could have influenced me despite hearing the anti-diesel lads going on about noise, waking neighbours up in the morning, choking everyone in clouds of smoke and destroying the planet. You either love them or hate them.
What influenced me was over the years the reports coming in on this site regarding the problems of the CR system. Yes I know its mainly Ford but considering that this forum is only a tiny fraction of the motoring scene it seems that there really is a problem out there.
Recoding of injectors ? I have never even had an injector taken out of a car.
Anyway I bought the wife a Fabia 1.2 Sport petrol with 500 miles on the clock.
Do I like it ??Lovely small car to drive with all the toys and is a delight to drive. But it still doesn?t do as much for me as a diesel car. Had almost forgotten that you have to rev the car and slip the clutch on a petrol. I don?t think you could stall the diesels even if you tried hard.
Only 2900 miles on the clock now and with consumption of 37mpg against my Vectras 50mpg is a bit of a surprise but imagine that will improve.
However the wife loves it and I would recommend the Fabia. Would be even better with a diesel engine though? But there is no doubt that my decision on buying petrol was totally due to reading discussions on the CR diesels on this site.

wemyss

Have you bought based on recommendations here? - tyro
Instead of ordinary brake pads, I got EBC uprated ones as a result of this thread: www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=41866

Instead of getting a new sump, I got a repair done using a helicoil as a result of this thread: www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=49565

Have you bought based on recommendations here? - johncyprus
Oh Yes, there are some very sage people who contribute to the BR. I became aware of the Nissan QX via the BR and subsequently bought one. It's a great car that few people know about, it's that good I'll probably keep it till it dies. Prior to this I've become bored with cars and changed them within the year.
Have you bought based on recommendations here? - L'escargot
I got a repair done using a helicoil as
a result of this thread ..........

Good pun! ;-)
--
L\'escargot.
Have you bought based on recommendations here? - madf
yes: yaris per HJ
Lightbulbs as here.
Footpump as here.

Any recommendations for a new wife? :-)
madf
Have you bought based on recommendations here? - barchettaman
Bought a knife sharpener as a result of sjB´s recommendation on IHAQ, and very good it has been too.
Have you bought based on recommendations here? - tyro
I suspect that most of the purchases based on Back Room recommendations probably come from the IHAQ and CRQ threads.

Edited by tyro on 26/10/2007 at 23:59

Have you bought based on recommendations here? - rg
Yep,

Replacement of my Pug 405 diesel estate was to be either diesel Omega estate or XM diesel estate.

I went for the XM, based on "profiling" Citroen users on this site. :-)

r