Dealer - Cancel or pay £2.5k more for new car! - WipeOut
Two months ago I ordered a BMW 118d SE via a broker, and had a signed contract back from the supplying dealer agreeing the specification and price. It was quite high additional specification. They phoned this week to tell me that BMW had removed some the options packs, that the specification had changed, and that it was going to cost me £2.5k aprox more, or they would refund my 10% deposit. The car already cost £20k even with a generous discount. Initially I was furious and said that I expected the car at the agreed price and specification. I?ve am now receiving my refund. I wanted the car, but after treatment like this I feel I?ve had a lucky escape!

I've checked the BMW website and they have changed the specification. The contract states the specification and agreed price, but has no other terms or conditions on the back. I ordered the car before the specification change. I would still quite like the car, but only at the price and specification that was agreed. Do you think I should pursue this, and if so what would be the best course of action? Or do you also think I've had a lucky escape.

Wipeout I've hidden your near identical post in the other 118d thread - it deserves to be in the standalone posting that you created 9 minutes later, merely to avoid duplicated replies
PU
Dealer - Cancel or pay £2.5k more for new car! - Pugugly {P}
Have you contacted the brokers ?
I've not had a chance yet. But I don't see how the brokers can help. At the end of the day, they just pass me on to the dealer, and it's the dealer/manufacturer I have a contract and isssue with.
Dealer - Cancel or pay £2.5k more for new car! - oldtoffee
Wipeout - I think you've had a form of lucky escape - how many times do we hear of people losing their deposit or becoming embroiled in an ongoing argument? I'd back off from the broker and dealer with your money intact (big bonus!) and if you want the car go elsewhere. If paying more for it than you want, offends you, begin the whole process again in the driving seat.
It's quite frustrating, as I spent a lot of time thinking about the car and weighing up other cars. I got a deal I was happy with, and now I have to start all over again having lost two months.
Dealer - Cancel or pay £2.5k more for new car! - GroovyMucker
This is one of those situations where you're in the right but you're up against a big organisation. It's unlikely you would win were you to take them on; the best you could hope for would be a reduction in your price of £2,500 or thereabouts.

I agree with the above: walk away, and don't be despondent. At least you've saved 2 months finance.

Er ... ever thought of an RX-8?
Dealer - Cancel or pay £2.5k more for new car! - rtj70
Cancel or pay an extra £2500! Cancel which is what seems to have happened. You were happy with the compromises we might suggest a BMW 1 was but to pay that much extra?

I was surprised today that a colleague has bought a new Mondeo Ghia 2.0TDCi auto for a massively discounted price via our company's lease company (as was now changed recently). And the fake wood trim I noticed was back to dark brown unlike the photos and cars I'd seen earlier - quite acceptable.

Not sure of exact figures but list price was over £21k and he said around £14k!!! I'd have gone for that had I known.
Dealer - Cancel or pay £2.5k more for new car! - bell boy
If you pursue it they will find small amall print to creep out
move out move up and tell all your friends
this is the best way to remove that bitter taste
well done by the way for standing back
Er ... ever thought of an RX-8?

Yes, I really like the RX-8. Would buy one, except my neighbour has one, and says it's very thirsty (okay for him company pays fuel bill), it's thirsty on oil, and the rear seat doesn't fold down which makes it tricky for me and my favourite sport of mountain biking (that's why I wanted a hatchback rather than a 3-series saloon).

Dealer - Cancel or pay £2.5k more for new car! - flunky
have I missed something?

£20k?????

For a fairly low-end hatchback?

Is it just the badge on the front? Can it really be worth £20k?
Dealer - Cancel or pay £2.5k more for new car! - Gromit {P}
Cancel. Otherwise the dealer will argue they simply can't complete the deal for reasons beyond their control (the specification of car you requested is no longer available to them) and you'll end up going around in circles.

However, I wouldn't use the same broker again, and at the higher price I wouldn't buy the 1 series. I would find the car that best suits your needs at current prices (which, if you want to fit a mountain bike in the back, is probably an estate).

I would also be sorely tempted to send the broker, supplying dealer and BMW UK a polite letter with a copy of the purchase order explaining that on account of their poor service they've lost a sale and any positive recommendation you might otherwise have made to your family, friends and colleagues.
have I missed something?
£20k?????
For a fairly low-end hatchback?
Is it just the badge on the front? Can it really be worth £20k?

Low end hatchback? I'm really not interested in badges. In fact I dislike the BMW driver image.

Price up a Golf GT 140 tdi, with leather, xenon, winter pack, dual climate, heated seats, parking sensors. It's even more expensive, and doesn't have technology like Efficency Dynamics and the possible London congestion charge saving next year. Plus it's front wheel drive and doesn't drive as well, diesel surges and clatters, no service package, and feels dated compared to the 118d. I should know I have Golf GT TDI 140! I've driven a Focus, and hated it. I usually spend 3 hours a day in my car. It's got to be good.

Dealer - Cancel or pay £2.5k more for new car! - z4ron
was the broker drivethedeal? they seem to be offering the car you describe - metallic, xenons, leathar, heated seats, service pack, for just over £19k.
After looking at another BMW owners forum I found out I wasn't the only one who had his order changed. If you've order a 1-series recently with option/service packs you had better check with your dealer!

Below is an apparent bulletin to BMW dealers.

I think it is quite disgraceful that a manufacture can take deposit for near two months and then just up the price by nearly £2.5k.

I had a drive in a Golf GTI DSG last week and it was far more fun. Just not sure on Ken and the Congestion Charge, which was why I was interested in the 118d.

If manufactures treat there customers like this, and are so short sited then consumers like me will vote with there feet. I was also next year thinking of buying a BMW 5 series touring, but with this episode I think not. So that is two car sales the have potentially lost.

I would have also thought the dealers would be upset to have lost the sales as well.

********** Bulletin *****************

1 Series Package Change ? Urgent action required

With reference to the dealer letter entitled ?The 1 Series ? Supported Option Packages? published this morning, please see the following information to determine what action should be taken.

Please note that these changes may affect many of your 1 Series orders and action must be taken immediately.

This bulletin only applies to 1 Series orders that have a package (s) specified against them.

Current 1 Series Packages

Pre-week 40 Post-week 40

Dynamic package (Z8E) Increase to package price
Comfort package (Z8K) Changes to package content, increase to price and change of option code
Audio package (Z8H) No longer available
Luxury package (Z8I / L) No longer available
Media package ? Business (Z8F) No longer available
Media package ? Professional (Z8G) No longer available
Visibility package (Z8J) No longer available

Pre-week 40 production 1 Series orders

The 1 Series supported option packages will no longer be available after 30th September 2007. Any car that is built on or before production week 39 with any package will receive that package at the current prices. No action is required.

Post-week 40 production 1 Series orders

Any 1 Series order built on or after production week 40 may require action. Please see the flowchart on the following page as a guide and ensure that you have amended your orders if necessary by close of play on Friday 21st September. Failure to make these changes will result in the Sales Office removing all packs from any post week 40 orders.

1 Series Service Inclusive

In addition to the changes made to the option packages, we would also like to confirm that the supported Service Inclusive package (ordered through SPOA) will no longer be available after 30th September.

If your 1 Series has a chassis number and you order your Service Inclusive package through SPOA on or before 30th September, you will be charged £190.00.

If your 1 Series does not have a chassis number on or before 30th September, you will not be able to place your order in SPOA. You will be able to order the Service Inclusive package at a later date, but the price will revert to the normal charge of £635.00 for 4 cylinder models or £745.00 for 6 cylinder models.