Petrol 2.0 2001 - fault code P1135 - Perfection
Does anyone know the following fault code mean?

P1135

The following data was also retrieved from the scan tool.

P1135 Sensor values:
Calculated Load 8.63 %
Coolant Temperature 84. C
Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1 0. %
Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 1 -7.03 %
Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 2 0. %
Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 2 -3.12 %
Engine Speed 1829 rpm
Vehicle Speed 28 km/h

I have checked on the website and found the following info.

"Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)"

See any of the experts could help me here without the need to pay for the dealer to fix.

Regards,

Perfect.
Petrol 2.0 2001 - fault code P1135 - Screwloose
Perfect

Your code definition is spot-on. It's the heating circuit of one of the [four] Lambda probes.

The data is a "snapshot" of the live data at the moment that the code was stored. Not really needed, as a failed heater coil is fairly straightforward. [And common on these too.]

Sensor 1 bank 1 should be the pre-cat sensor which is the one nearest the gearbox end. I always confirm the actual sensor by disconnecting it and seeing which code comes up - if you only get P1135 again, that's the one.

It's possible to check a completely open-circuit heater circuit with an Ohm-meter. They'll often read OK when tested cold; so just fit a new [genuine only] one. [Around £120 from Toyota.]
Screwloose.

Thank you for the location of the sensor. I will have look at the sensor now.

Will report back soon.

Regards,

Perfect.
Screwloose:

You are correct that the sensor nearest to the gearbox pre-heater circuit is open circuit.

I have also measured other working sensors at room temperature for future reader reference:

Bottom left sensor = 1.2 ohm
Bottom right sensor = 17 ohm

Regarding to buying a replacement sensor, £120 is very expensive from Toyota...

Could I buy one from Gendan? These are a fraction cheaper. Anyone experienced any problem if used non-genuine parts?

Regards,

Perfect.

I meant to say universal fit sensor from Gendan (for £30). Wonder if this will work on the RAV.

Perfect.
Petrol 2.0 2001 - fault code P1135 - bell boy
The problem with universal sensors is that is what they are,all things to all motors,they wont be as fast as fast ;) as an original they wont be as well built and they wont have the right plug end on (or they didnt) try crimping or soldering your old oe end onto these universal ones and see it fall apart again in a few days.
Ive fitted lots of universals but never to a car i run personally,i would rather put a s/h original one on and that is being tight
Bellboy,

Will take your advice and will buy a genuine one from Toyota. Do I order as a Bank 1 sensor 1? I'm concerned that I might order the wrong one. All the sensors have different lengths of wires and maybe diffferent resistance on the pre-heater circuit.

Anyway, will give Toyota a call on Monday to see if they know what I mean by saying a Bank 1 sensor 1.

Cheers,

Perfect.
Petrol 2.0 2001 - fault code P1135 - bell boy
Perfection do not take what i say as gospel its just what i have learned over the years
Perfect

As so often; I'm 100% in agreement with BB. I've never had much luck with pattern sensors on Toyotas - [or Hondas] as the ECU's are very sensitive.

Get an accurate price from Toyota; as you say, the four sensors are all different and also differ between engines and models; so that particular one might be cheaper.

That 1.2 ohm reading is very odd? 17 ohms is pretty ball-park for a heating coil - but 1.2 is way out.
Report back with progress....

Bought the part from Toyota for £170 and fitted today, and hurray!! its fixed now. Fault code is cleared.

Resistance measured 1.3 ohms on new pre-heater for future reference (Bank 1 Sensor 1 - Top right hand side or shortest lead on the sensor).

Perfect.
Perfect

£170! Toyota are really cashing-in on their ECUs' dislike for non-gen sensors.

They must be modulating the current-flow through such a low resistance to get a faster warm-up.

I wonder if that is another way to stop people fitting pattern sensors. The signal may be pretty similar; but a generic sensor's heater resistance would be well out.
Petrol 2.0 2001 - fault code P1135 - dcuk
This has been a very useful thread, just had the exact same problem on my 2001 Rav4. As said Toyota want £170 for the part. Using a code reader from Gendan I narrowed down which sensor it was and then found that Amazon.com sell the correct Denso product for equiv of £90. They don't ship to the UK so I had to have it shipped via a friend in the States but it's now here and it fixed the problem for a reasonable price. amazon part number is 234-9023
Another heater sensor has failed. Fault code is P0141 (Bank 1 Sensor 2). Any clues to which one it is?

Thanks.

Perfect.

Petrol 2.0 2001 - fault code P1135 - mikeatic
Another heater sensor has failed. Fault code is P0141 (Bank 1 Sensor 2). Any clues
to which one it is?

Thanks.

Perfect.

Oh pink fluffy dice! I know this an old thread but I have just paid £250 to have the sensor replaced. £170 for a bit of wire and ceramics seems a rip off. Four sensors at £250 = £1000. My '03 Rav can't be worth much more. How likely is it for the other sensors to go?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 14/10/2009 at 13:36

Petrol 2.0 2001 - fault code P1135, P0141 - Perfection

As my car is over 12 yrs old now, i have not replaced the faulty sensor as it cost too much. However, as new MOT regulation comes in this year. This means an mot failure will result as the engine light still on.

Following inspection of thr fault code store, the car also reported P1155 fault. Which is another sensor heating element.

This is costing too much to repair.

Edited by Perfection on 31/03/2013 at 12:09

Petrol 2.0 2001 - fault code P1135, P0141, P1155 - Perfection

For completeness for this subject , I have updated the info as it will be useful for other readers if they wanted to clear the fault code and keep the engine management light off!

As my car is obviously over 12 years old and I don't think its justifiable to pay £170 per sensor replacement. I therefore where ever possible, I have attempted to simulate the heater element to "fool" the diagnostic as part of the ECU.

I have sucessfully simulated the heating element to remove the P0141 fault code:

P0141:

I used two high power resistors (50w, 8 ohms) and wired in series. The power dissipation is relatively small.

P1155:

I don't recommend to simulate this heater element as the heater element resistance is in the order of 1 to 2 ohms, i.e dissipates too much power and it will get too hot and dangerous. I therefore replaced it with a Denso OEM sensor from World Car Parts, Toyota car part no. 89467-42020, cost around £70. If you buy it from Toyota dealer you pay £170.

In order to remove the sensor, the manifold heat shield must be removed first. As the bolts and nuts (10mm) are all rusted, I have used penetration oil and applied it a few days in advance of any attempt to remove the bolt/nut (one application per day).

I then warmed the engine for about 5 minute from cold and then the bolt / nut was removed easily. (Where thick gloves to protect from the heat!)

From my observations, the grey connectors on the sensors are the pre-cat sensor and the heating resistance is very low, between 1 - 2 ohms. The other two black connectors on the other two sensors will measure around 16 ohms.

When the sensor or the heater simulator is fitted, I disconnected the battery for about 5 minutes to clear the fault codes.

I don't recommend people to do what I have done here and therefore I don't take any responsibility to any damage to their cars.

Enjoy......

Perfect.

Edited by Perfection on 05/04/2013 at 00:15

Petrol 2.0 2001 - fault code P1135, P0141, P1155, P0161 - Perfection

Engine light came on yesterday and plugged in Techstream mini vci to read fault code. P0161 was shown, I then used the code reset in the Techstream diagnostic tool.

P0161 is Bank 2 Sensor 2 - bottom left of the O2 sensor when you looking at the engine from the front.

Today I tried to measured the heater resistance and confirmed open circuit. But the engine light no longer stays on. But I am convinced the fault is still there.

Does anyone knows if Techstream could have disabled the fault and not illuminating the engine light?

Regards

Perfect.

I