2003 1.7d Power Steering Problem - Xamy
Being the new owner for just one week, I have noticed that when driving in a straight line, the steering wheel requires some additional (but small) force to make small directional corrections. There is a definate resistance to move the wheel left or right which tends to result in a slight jerkiness in the corrective steering action/path. Is this normal with Hondas or is this the onset of a real problem?
Hond civic 03 1.7d Power Steering Problem - bell boy
dont know your particular car and its facets however a car with these traits would normally be found to have the tracking maladjusted and even the tyres worn on their inner/outer edges,ask supplying agent for a geometry check
Hond civic 03 1.7d Power Steering Problem - nortones2
Our petrol Civic had a similar "ratchety" feel but has either cured itself, or I no longer notice. Was most obvious on M-ways at around the straight-ahead position. Its the electrical steering I think, unless its a malady of the set up as BB suggests.
Hond civic 03 1.7d Power Steering Problem - Graemetdci
My wife's 2002 1.6 vtec se does exactly the same. I find it very noticeable after driving my Focus which has much sharper and smoother steering. I believe it is a quirk of the electrically assisted power steering in the Civic (or else we've all got problems!).