Vectra MIL light (still on) - Flat in Fifth
Beginning of Feb I started a thread in the old Forum about the MIL light in my 2.0 DTi.

As I can't find the old thread to make a link will repeat some of it here.

Turn on "ignition".
All lights go on/off as normal.
Start engine.
Few seconds later MIL light comes on, stays on till throttle given a hefty prod.
Engine down on power, flat spots, surging on full power acceleration, fuel consumption up, hesitant away from a standing start.

Initial look by dealer confirmed there was a fault, and tightened turbo hose. No change

Advice from Backroom (Andrew Moorey Tune up as I recall) suggested this was mass air flow meter, as this had cured similar symptoms on a customer's Astra.

Much faffing by the dealer later, cleaning and divvying around, they suggested a new mass air flow meter was needed. This has now been fitted.

Result bit like the curate's egg, good in parts.

All the bad driveability issues have been resolved, bit early to say fuel cons now OK but I think its back to where it should be.

However the light still comes on as before, stays on and goes out as before.

Dealer is foxed, any suggestions. Ignore it? Could this now be moisture in the multi plug as it only happens first thing?

(footnote, DW I've been saving this up for the new forum for a couple of weeks now, can't have that other chap getting all the action can we? ;-)
Vectra MIL light (still on) - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Sorry you are still having a problem. Does the dealer come up with any fault codes? If so what. A possibility is that the elements inside the airflow sensor should self clean a few seconds after shut down by glowing red hot for 2-3 seconds to burn off any residues. If it doesn't these residues can accumulate and upset the sensors' output.
Vectra MIL light (still on) - SjB {P}
Different engine, but same symptoms:

I've had two V6 engined Vectra Estates from new, one a 'P' SRi, and now a 'W' GSi. Both have done something similar to this from new, and although it goes against the grain, I've learned to live with.

In essence, if I trickle round town at very gentle throttle openings / tall gear for the speed, the engine management warning light tends to come on, and stay on (minutes, not seconds). Come to a derestricted road, hoof the throttle (even without changing down a gear), engine speed picks up as it should, loads of power, no flat spots, and the light goes out.

Looking at countless Vectra forums on the web, you and I are not alone, and most people live with it as there is no ill effect, and in my case which I can vouch for, no fault codes.

BTW to learn what the fault codes are, and how to initiate the process of reading them, go here:

www.knighta.f9.co.uk/info/fault_codes/fault_codes....m

Good luck
/Steve
Thanks, I'll have a good prod round this weekend.
As SjB suggests below, no fault codes.

Thanks for the input Andrew as it drives as it should now.
Vectra MIL light NO LONGER ON YIPPEE - Flat in Fifth
and the reason was? duff glow plug, just thought I'd let you know.
Vectra MIL light NO LONGER ON YIPPEE - Ferrino
Is it conceivable that the ECU could be logging a fault code, but without turning the MIL light on?

Or will the MIL light virtually always come on if there is a fault of some sort logged by the ECU?

Cheers.
Vectra MIL light NO LONGER ON YIPPEE - Dave_TD
Haven't read the previous Vectra threads, but doesn't the light coming on initiate a "limp-home" mode, replacing the ECU's values for air pressure, temp etc with default figures? That would cause the running like a pig and poor economy, make sure the dealer has cleared the ECU down, fault codes or no.