Wild deer - Petition for personal injury cover. - Cruiser
YOU HAVE NO CAR INSURANCE FOR PERSONAL INJURIES
CAUSED BY WILD DEER!
Ha! you say, wild Deer are not a threat.
In the UK over 250 motorist's are injured each year by wild deer collision on our roads! 5 are also killed annually!DEFRA states that the wild deer population will double in ten years thus causing even more injuries!
I have now started a petition at No10 Downing St to change this. Please click on this link and vote.
petitions.pm.gov.uk/DEER-COLLISIONS/
My proposal is to ensure The Motorists Insurance Bureau
covers injuries caused by Wild Deer Collisions to the same degree as it does now with the uninsured drivers and untraced drivers problem.
This insurance anomaly has to be changed as I have personally found out!
Wild deer - Petition for personal injury cover. - Mapmaker
There are many things you are not insured against when driving, this is just one of them. And threads often appear on here complaining about unexpected uninsured exposures. As No FM2R doesn't seem to be around at the moment, I trust he will forgive me for repeating his usual advice: If you call an insurance broker he will happily quote for a personal injury policy for you, OP.
Wild deer - Petition for personal injury cover. - Vin {P}
To take this to it's logical extreme:

I once hit an owl at night. If it had come through my windscreen and blinded me, I wouldn't have been covered by this extension of the MIB liability to cover deer. How fair would that be? We should extend this to cover owls. And how many people have swerved to avoid a rabbit then gone into a ditch? Surely they should be covered. The government MUST LEGISLATE.

Ridiculous. Accidents happen and you can't insure against everything.

V
Wild deer - Petition for personal injury cover. - cheddar
The point is that my insurance will cover damage to my vehicle and any personal injury if, for instance, a rock were to have falenl from a preceeding commercial vehicle and I were to hit it in the dark. Also many years ago I wrote off my mother's car due to a dog running out into the road, insurance was not an issue.

So why not a deer?
Wild deer - Petition for personal injury cover. - Bill Payer
my insurance will cover damage to my vehicle and any personal
injury if for instance a rock

Personal injury cover on your own car insurance is very limited - it won't be much use to you if you end up paralysed.
Wild deer - Petition for personal injury cover. - Vin {P}
Yes, what we need is more legislation, so that life no longer has any risk associated with it.

V
Wild deer - Petition for personal injury cover. - Cliff Pope
As has been said, this has very little to do with car insurance and an awful lot to do with personal accident insurance.
Many/most people take out life insurance to cover themselves and provide for their families in the event of all sorts of accidents, usually including everything from falling off a stepladder to bloodpoisoning from being pricked by a holly leaf, or collision with a wasp. The usual restrictions are if you take part in activities that might be expected to increase your risk of accident abnormally, such as sky-diving or perhaps deer-stalking.
Car insurance is not life insurance.
Wild deer - Petition for personal injury cover. - Altea Ego
(1) Basic insurance (RTA) is taken out to cover you for damage to OTHER people and property.
(2) TPF is (1) and to recover some value if your car is stolen or barbequed.
(3) Fully comprensive is (1), (2) and damage to your car. Your car not you.

Its isnt personal accident insurance. If you step half out of your car and get hit by a pratt and whitney engine fallen off a Chinese airlines plane, you expect your car insurance to cover you?
------------------------------
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Its isnt personal accident insurance. If you step half out of your car and get
hit by a pratt and whitney engine fallen off a Chinese airlines plane you expect
your car insurance to cover you?

No but Chinese Airline PL insurance would, well should!

Though if you are *driving* in your car and get hit by a pratt and whitney engine fallen off an *unknown* plane you should expect
your car insurance to cover you, 应该您没有?
应该您没有?

Sorry - that was a couple of words in cantonese!
Wild deer - Petition for personal injury cover. - Martin Devon
Its isnt personal accident insurance. If you step half out of your car and get
hit by a pratt and whitney engine fallen off a Chinese airlines plane you expect
your car insurance to cover you?

How did you know they used Pratt and Whitney then??
this is the point, I can sue a chinese airline, but not a deer!
Wild deer - Petition for personal injury cover. - Round The Bend
"Car insurance is not life insurance."

Fair comment, CP.

Motor insurance injury cover is generally provided for third party claims. So you, the driver, are not usually protected for injury but passengers and others involved in an incident attributable to you are. In this example, the deer has a better chance of claiming for injury than the driver!

It is no different for your household insurance. If a slate falls off your roof and hits the postman then your policy should pay for his injury, however, if you trip over in your house and break a leg then no cover!
I can ensure my tiles do not come off! but i can,t ensure that a wild deer will not jump out on me!
Wild deer - Petition for personal injury cover. - Cliff Pope
I can ensure my tiles do not come off! but i can t ensure that
a wild deer will not jump out on me!

You can't "ensure" your tiles won't come off. You can only do your best to fix them on properly, and "insure" for public liability if you are worried that they might.

Nothing can "ensure" that a deer won't jump out on you, not even compulsory car insurance cover. But you are free to take out personal accident "insurance" against all sorts of risks if you like. Check beforehand that Deer-jumping-out (Clause 536 section XII(iii) para 17) is not excluded.
SNIPQUOUTE!

In reply to Cliff,

This is the same old story, underinsurance. People regard risk as covered whilst they are in their cars, I have had many e-mails where people have said "I thought my insurance covered me, its full comp!" As I said, same old story! The poor and uneducated do not think they need extra personal cover,
they think they are covered anyway! My scheme will spread the risk equaly
across the motoring pop. Can you say the risk for u is worth covering? have you cover for deer collision! the risk is very low, it represents 0.25% of all accidents on Britains roads. Is this a risk the poor and uneducated will insure themselves for? NO! a fair scheme is a better scheme.

As has been said this has very little to do with car insurance and an
awful lot to do with personal accident insurance.

SNIPQUOTE! ONCE AGAIN

then why if you are hit by an uninsured driver you are covered, this is life insurance? If you were hit by an uninsured driver you would instantly expect your personal injuries to be covered. So why not a deer? Defra states that deer population will double in the next ten years, so the collisions will not? eh!
Wild deer - Petition for personal injury cover. - UkGuy

WILD deer

I bet they're livid !

(ps does anyone know the stats for accidents caused by 'tame' deer - you know sants lot etc)?

Wild deer - Petition for personal injury cover. - deepwith
Comment about signs warning of deer - not always. When they changed the area of the actual, cattle-gridded and fenced New Forest they forgot to tell the deer and haven't bothered to sign. We have a small herd living round our end of the village, there is another around Efford on the way into Lymington and must be countless more all. Montjak abound all over the place without signing.
Wonder at the disbelief when one claims an accident caused by a red wallaby in the Peaks? They were released in the war with some Yaks. Yaks were all, they think, eaten - wallabys just bred.
Wild deer - Petition for personal injury cover. - GroovyMucker
Cruiser: apparently 2 posts (though I can find only this one). Wild and unsubstantiated claims and an invitation to sign a petition.

Hmmm.

Good discussion, though.
Wild deer - Petition for personal injury cover. - Dynamic Dave
Cruiser: apparently 2 posts (though I can find only this one). Wild and unsubstantiated claims
and an invitation to sign a petition.

In fairness to Cruiser, this (and his other post - which was the same as this one) were both hidden for a couple of days while it was mulled over by HJ and the other mods. I have since emailed Cruiser to say that his post has been allowed and there are questions that have been directed towards him.

DD.

{and I see that he has returned to answer some of those questions while I was typing this and browsing other parts of the forum - DD}
I was driving home from work, when according to the police a wild deer entered thru my windscreen and exited thru the rear window! unconsious, I was taken to hospital and spent nine hours on the opporating tabe! 17 days in intensive care and five weeks later I regained consiousness!
My injuries were ,
Nine fractures to the skull and jaws,
Brain Injury,
Double vision,
fractured wrist
compound dislocated thumb,
2 years 8 months off work as I recovered!
Check this with Essex Police, Broomfield hospital, Chelmsford. Dr jochen Langbein of the Deer Collision Iniative. (WEB SITE) Headway, colchester.
they help brain injured people recover,(WEB SITE)
You think its not true, i'd hate to be your neighbor!
Wild deer - Petition for personal injury cover. - Tomo
So what? In the acres of paper with any insurance, among the small print and in legalistic jargon, there is something which in effect says "in the event of a claim, this policy becomes invalid".

Bitter experience!
Wild deer - Petition for personal injury cover. - Bromptonaut
They're wild animals so just like Kangaroos in Oz and various wild stuff in Africa all you can do is drive carefully and hope for the best. Of course if they were escaped farmed deer you might pin liability on the farmer.

Local copper a few years ago lost his leg in a collision with a pheasant. Made a full recovery and took up a new career. He's also a been a mainstay of local amateur dramatic group - plays the fairy tale baddy and takes a real kicking on the shins from the hero!!!!
=>> mainstay of local amateur dramatic group -

well at least you can always fall back on a production of treasure island.

The point is, that its just life. I know its tough cruiser, but we share this green and pleasant land with animals that were here before us. It still does not alter the fact that we insure aganst hurting someone else in our cars, not us from wildlife. Its fine to raise awareness of this kind of thing, but it should be directed at personal insurance.
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Wild deer - Petition for personal injury cover. - Pugugly {P}
You're right RF, I've swotted up on my Car and bike policies since reading this thread, the OP is right, I took out a stand alone personal insurance to cover injury (an RAC/Sun Alliance policy) many years ago, this still beefs up potential payouts in the event of the worse happening. Personally I believe that this is the individual's responsibility and not the state through the MIB
Wild deer - Petition for personal injury cover. - Mapmaker
Typical costs are £5 per month for £100,000 for permanent total disablement; £120,000 for quadriplegia; £40,000 for loss of sight - as a result of accident.

I reckon to live modestly, and with full time care would cost £50,000 pa - so pushing £90,000 before tax. The FTSE 100 is yielding 3.21%. Invested in shares, you would hope that capital growth meant that it kept up with inflation. That means I need £2.8m invested now in order to provide a modest lifestyle. You could obviously spend some of the capital as you came towards the end of your life, so lets say £2m. That's about on a par with awards made by the courts for people badly injured in accidents, so 'about right'.

If we pro-rate the above insurance cost, that's £100 per month or £1200 per annum, or £100,000 over a lifetime. Expensive, insurance, isn't it?

Wild deer - Petition for personal injury cover. - Andy60
Last night in the pub some bloke offered me 8 venison legs for £50.

Is that 2 deer?

I'll get my coat...
RUDOLF!

A billion kids will have a contract out on you if pressies fail to arrive this year
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Wild deer - Petition for personal injury cover. - Ruperts Trooper
>>> Wonder at the disbelief when one claims an accident caused by a red wallaby in the Peaks? They were released in the war with some Yaks. Yaks were all, they think, eaten - wallabys just bred. >>>

The wallabies died out years ago - never heard the rumour/myth about Yaks before!
Wild deer - Petition for personal injury cover. - deepwith
Ruperts Trooper, we used to run a hotel near the Peaks and our estate manager, Harold Gilman, wrote books about the Macclesfield Canal, Great Moreton Hall and the River Dane. I put quite a lot of the River Dane book onto computer, including the chapter about the released animals. Both were released from the same Zoo, the wallabies increased in number and were quite a number still about in 1993 when we were up there. Local farmers claimed other animals were released too, but he had no proof of that.
Wild deer - Petition for personal injury cover. - Pugugly {P}
Well,

Following some swotting, this is the policy I've got. Its a RAC Road and Travel Plan through First Assist. Annual cost is 125.00. It covers all the doom and gloom scenarios sll over the world. Although not specifically covering bumping into large wildlife, it doesn't exclude it either. Covers me and 'er in private vehicle or on public transport including an aircraft but not on a motorcycle.

If I peg it she'll get a £100000. permenant disability in the same area and a £100.00 a day in any hopsital..oh and the benefits go up by 7% per annum since the 1993 values quoted above.

Worth it I think.
Wild deer - Petition for personal injury cover. - Hamsafar
I'm not sure I agree with being forced to pay for extra risk of deer-related life assurance by law.
My insurance would pay the NHS if they claim anyway and if not the NHS would pay using taxes, and doesn't everyone with a life or a family already have life assurance? Surely if insurers were made to pay, they would just make me pay - again.