Loud banging when driving - Morpheus
Afternoon all,

Got my aging Citroen Saxo on the road this morning on the way to work, 5 mins from house, a loud rhythmic banging started. Didn't have a clue what it was of where it was coming from so got out and looked under the car and couldn't see anything out of place... got back in and carried on driving but was still happening so turned around and limped home in it...

As I said, the banging is rhythmic - the faster I go, the more (quickly) it bangs but still at regular intervals...

Anyone got any ideas what the problem could be?

Thanks
Saxo - Loud banging when driving - 659FBE
Possibly an inner drive shaft joint broken up. If it were an outer joint, you would feel it through the steering. If there is damage to the shaft, buy a complete new one - they're not dear and definitely not worth messing about with.

Saxo - Loud banging when driving - Morpheus
Thanks 659FBE...

Just had 2 new driveshafts on it as well, 1 about 4 months ago and 1 last week.

Any way for a novice like me to check for certain if it is the broken up drive shaft.....

The previous drive shaft problems were the "knocking" when you go round the corner with power on, but this is constant and doesn't matter, engine on or off, corner or straight and its more of a bang than a knock...
Saxo - Loud banging when driving - 659FBE
If you had a shaft changed very recently, possibly something has been left loose. The large central nut under the hubcap should be tight, crimped into its grooves and new.

Saxo - Loud banging when driving - normd2
many years ago I had a similar noise, maybe more of a thump than a bang tho' Turned out to be a footprint sized area of tyre tread had dissapeared, cords on full view. It was a remould on a 2nd hand car I'd recently bought - never had remoulds since. Check your wheels and tyres.
Saxo - Loud banging when driving - Kevin
Lots of Saxos in N. Hants also seem to have loud rhythmic banging noises coming from them.

On a more serious note - have you jacked up the front end and tried spinning each wheel in turn by hand to see if it happens then?

Kevin...
Saxo - Loud banging when driving - Screwloose
Morph

Tighten the loose wheelnuts.
Thanks screwloose, I thought last night I had better check the wheel nuts.... surely the mot tester didn't leave them loose....? Do they even take the wheels off? Or maybe the mechanic did? Who knows... anyway, i'd be very annoyed if this was the case, but at least it'd be something I could fix myself!

@ Kevin - i know what you mean matey, the Saxo does have a bad image, but not all saxo drivers are chav's... I just rely on my little car to get me to work and back, no huge stereo, no huge exhaust (wish I could afford all that rubbish) - anyway thats a whole different thread....

However I tried jacking it up and spinning the wheels (at the front) last night and didn't seem to get any banging. A little drive in it and its difficult to tell where its coming from not, but it *could* be the back wheels. Jacked them up and couldn't see anything wrong but couldn't spin cos the handbrake was on (drive is inclined) so will get SWMBO too hold it on the footbrake tonight and give them a spin and check the wheel nuts at the same time.

Cheers for all the input...
Saxo - Loud banging when driving - fordprefect
*could* be the back wheels. Jacked them up and couldn't see anything wrong but couldn't spin cos the handbrake was on (drive is inclined) so will get SWMBO too hold it on the footbrake tonight and give them a spin

I think you will find the footbrake stops the back wheels spinning unless there is something very wrong with it. :-)
Saxo - Loud banging when driving - aahbarnes
I think you need to turn down the volume of your bass tube in the boot. Maybe raise the suspension whilst your at it.>> Afternoon all
Saxo - Loud banging when driving - madf
Worn engine mounts and drive shaft banging on suspension.. ?
madf
Saxo - Loud banging when driving - Bromptonaut
Had similar problem on a BX. Like Norm's case it was a tyre, though a "bubble" in the tread rather than any loss of rubber. FWD cars that are light on rear load/braking don't wear the back tyres until the casings give up. My Berlingo is heading in the same direction. Fronts have about 5k left on; must remember to tell Kwik Part to put new ones on rear and shift unworn rears forward.
Thanks for everyone's help... problem now solved!!!

The handbrake cable had come unclipped and was catching on the tyre.... when I drove it, it must have been twanging the handbrake cable like a guitar string and it was no doubt springing back up and hitting the underside of the car!

Thanks again!