L200 - Car or Goods Vehicle - borasport20
Mitsubishi L200 pick-up - does it qualify as a car, or is it a goods vehicle and subject to 50mph and 60mph limits on A roads and dual carriageways ?

--
Go on, get out of the car...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
L200 - Car or Goods Vehicle - stunorthants26
I believe it is a light goods vehicle so yes those limits do apply. Im sure a long while back I looked it up with the DVLA and thats what they class it as.

Look it up with them and see what they say is the best idea.

On the plus side, the police rarely go after LGV limit breakers, its a minor infringment at best.
L200 - Car or Goods Vehicle - borasport20
Thanks Stu - the message may upset two people I know, as they both have one as a 'company car', and i think they both have enough points on their respective licenses already.

--
Go on, get out of the car...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
L200 - Car or Goods Vehicle - Altea Ego
Yup its an LGV, that why builders buy them as primary family transport, they can reclaim the VAT.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Whats quite bad is that few people seem to be aware of the limits for LGVs and they risk getting tickets as a result. I only found out about the limts when i looked it up last time someone posed teh same question - it applies to my van aswell so lucky for me.
L200 - Car or Goods Vehicle - billy25
I may be a bit rusty at this (not having a car for 20months!) but are they not shown on the Tax-disc as being PLG? (Private/Light Goods). If used as a "car" privately, and not as a "goods vehicle" wouldn't normal car rules apply?

Billy
L200 - Car or Goods Vehicle - MrWednesday
This crossed my mind when buying, and yes, LGV rules apply. However, have to say, Mr(s)Traffic Police never seem to be that interested in me on national speed limit roads if doing an indicated 60. Probably is closer to 54, so all the discussions about accuracy of speedo's etc are likely to come into effect.

For interest, does anyone know if there is any difference if we consider a 'car derived van' / 'van derived car' argument. Thinking of the Shogun Sport as a prime example as it really is just the L200 with shockers at the back instead of leaf springs (plus a bit more shell obviously), however this I think is one of the few examples of LGVs which are commercials first by design. So many e.g fiesta / corsa /astra vans seem to have been private cars first and then have the rear seats hoiked to turn into a van.

Any ideas?

Car derived vans are classed as cars, also have looked this up. It depends what the DVLA classes the car/van as, simple as. If you drive something your not sure about, its certainly worth looking it up.
L200 - Car or Goods Vehicle - JohnPug
I thought on pickups, that a 2WD version was termed a LGV and a 4WD the same as a car. I can't remember where I saw this though.
L200 - Car or Goods Vehicle - Pugugly {P}
I seem to think that this is a recognised loophole...
L200 - Car or Goods Vehicle - JohnPug
Found it, wasn't far away!

tinyurl.com/3dtdhf

Just scroll down the page.
L200 - Car or Goods Vehicle - Bromptonaut
I thought on pickups that a 2WD version was termed a LGV and a 4WD
the same as a car. I can't remember where I saw this though.

Covered in HJ's Telegraph column maybe three weeks ago.
L200 - Car or Goods Vehicle - Bromptonaut
Thanks for the link JP!!

When I read it in the paper I'd missed HJ's reference to the Berlingo van having different limits to the multispace car variant; I'd assume a van had car limits on the basis of it's being indirectly derived from the 306/ZX, albieit with some 405 thrown in at the rear, and at least in most variants under 2000kg auw.

Is there a source for classification of specific vehicles on the DVLA or VoSa websites?