mk3 golf gti now overheating - adam f
Ok as some of you know i am trying to get this car of mine fixed. i now have all the problems theoreticly sorted, im just waiting till pay day to get them done.

The one that i am now stuck on is overheating. At first the temp gauge on the instrument panel would not move. I bought a new sender/sensor that the radiator hoses go into and fitted, and now the gauge is working.

The problem now is that the gauge needle does not sit properly at half way and goes up to 110 degrees. It does not go up any further, just sits on that temp.

can anyone help AGAIN.
mk3 golf gti now overheating - George Porge
Is it the correct sender that you've fitted? What temp does the oil read? The sender for that is in the oil cooler sandwiched between the oil filter and the engine and has a single wire and is made of brass.

Is the coolant topped up properly? Does the heater blow hot? Do the rad fans kick in when on the move / stationary?
the heater blows hot. oil temp on the instrument panel computer goes from anything up to about 105 degrees. i believe the sender is the right one, it is used but works and looks the same as the old one.
the radiator fan does kick in, mainly at the top end of the temperature
That does'nt tell me anything

Oil temp when driving, stationary, hot day / cold day?

Rad fan comes on when driving, at idle when stationary?

If you want help tell us the facts, you have the car we don't.

Sounds ok to me, the gauge is just over reading, wrong sender? They have to be matched
The oil temp is constantly rising, but never goes any higher then about 115 degrees when driving and when stationary it drops a little bit. The fan definitly comes on when stationary and driving.
If you're concerned that the car is over heating change the water pump, thermostat and wash out the radiator with a hose pipe to remove any sediment. On a DIY basis this will cost £30 - £40 or so with new coolant.

The second hand temp sender is false economy and may be causing you to fret about nothing, they are only £15 new, how much did you pay for the second hand one? Its also the temp sender for the engine management and maybe missreading this too.
I only paid a couple of quid for the part from breakers. The car is going to the mechanic for a service so i will get him to sort it all out. Thanks for your help Dox.Once this is all done i am just gonna get rid of the damn thing.
cheers