Hard shoulder- closing convertible roof? - perleman
I bought a modification for my car so the roof can be opperated up to 25 MPH but obviously that won't cut it on the motorway if a deluge started!

Does anyone have a views on using the hard shoulder for closing the roof on convertible cars re: legality? One would hope and expect common sense would prevail if the Bill spotted it but does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this?
Hard shoulder- closing convertible roof? - Pugugly {P}
Illegal.
Hard shoulder- closing convertible roof? - Dynamic Dave
Mentioned in the highway code:

www.highwaycode.gov.uk/23.htm#244

244: You MUST NOT stop on the carriageway, hard shoulder, slip road, central reservation or verge except in an emergency, or when told to do so by the police, an emergency sign or by flashing red light signals.
MT(E&W)R regs 7(1),9,10 & 16 & MT(S)R regs 6(1),8,9 & 14
I have to confess in my wild youth stopping under a Motorway bridge (on a bike) to shelter a downpour !
Hard shoulder- closing convertible roof? - Paul I
I have to confess in my wild youth stopping under a Motorway bridge (on a bike) to shelter a downpour !

>>
Have to say I think this is actually sensible and not stupid .... Driving a car in lashing rain is no fun on a bike .... I recentlly saw two bikers who had stopped bikes under a bridge and climbed behind the barrier. Thought good guys not putting temselves at risk or me

Hard shoulder- closing convertible roof? - Citroënian {P}
I agree that rain probably isn't reasonably an emergency, but I once had to stop one the shoulder to put the roof up on the MX5 - passed three lorries at around 70 and the wind hit me in such a weird way that my vision was seriously compromised - the change in pressure or something made it impossible for me to see clearly ahead. Stopped the car and put up the roof then drove off again (now out of the wind) and vision back to normal. Stopped for about three seconds on the shoulder.
-- Biggedy biggedy bong
Hard shoulder- closing convertible roof? - Altea Ego
why would you be driving on the motorway with the roof down anyway? Its not the most pleasant of experiences.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Agrees RF
Hard shoulder- closing convertible roof? - Citroënian {P}
Not sure I'd want to drive to London and back with the roof off, but ten minutes down the M65 or M62 is fine.

Surprising how noisy motorways are though once the roof's off!
-- Biggedy biggedy bong
Hard shoulder- closing convertible roof? - tr7v8
Yup done long motorway journeys in the 7 with the roof down, can just about get away with handsfree as well, although I rarely use it for work so not generally a problem. Why buy a convertable & drive with the roof up?
Hard shoulder- closing convertible roof? - tr7v8
I'd add that even in the rain, above 25-30mph you stay dry & very little buffeting even around the 100-120 Leptons mark as well.
I saw some clown (well I actually thought it was cool) driving a convertible with a motorcycle crash helmet on the M1.......probably a broken roof.
Hard shoulder- closing convertible roof? - Dynamic Dave
driving a convertible with a motorcycle crash helmet on the M1.......probably a broken roof.

Or it was The Stig.
Seen on the M6 on Friday afternoon

HA car on hard shoulder under bridge, lit up like blackpool lights from its light bar.

No HA officers on board tho. They were out of car, under bridge, having a fag.
Obviously they cant now smoke in the work vehicle, but on a damn motorway? jeez
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Hard shoulder- closing convertible roof? - BobbyG
Hope you weren't southbound approaching J17 - J18 in the (what seemed like) 30 mile tailback!
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
this was further south, Junc 3 ish
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Hard shoulder- closing convertible roof? - wazza
A wise man will take the next slip road off the motorway, put on the roof and then rejoin the motorway further up.

biggest risk of being on the hard shoulder is someone driving into you
Hard shoulder- closing convertible roof? - dragon
I don't bother- provided you keep a speed of 30mph or more the rain just blows over. Get some funny looks though!

Once off the motorway if I know I'm going to be in queueing traffic I will flip the roof back up.
I had the roof down on the way to cornwall on Thursday and it was raining. I had the wipers on but I wasn't getting wet - didn't really understand it to be honest. I guess if it was really tipping down it may still get in, or maybe not due to air movement or something. Obviously being new to open top motoring there is still enough novelty to want to have the roof down at all times!
Hard shoulder- closing convertible roof? - Blue {P}
I tend to have the roof down in all sorts of weathers and have driven in moderately hard rain with it down too, you fo probably get some funny looks but provided you keep the speed up you stay dry as the windscreen sweeps the water out of your way.

I've literally just got back from a night in Newcastle and I've had the top down all the way back, people probably think it's strange to see the roof down at 3am, but really, driving along an unlit stretch of road with the clear night sky above you with the stars in all their glory is a quite wonderful experience. Probably far better if you're a passenger and can look up a bit more often! :-)

Blue
Hard shoulder- closing convertible roof? - steveincornwall
Have to agree Blue about open top motoring at night. A few years ago SWMBO and I watched a performance of Puccini's Madame Butterfly at the Minack open air cliff top theatre during which local fishing boats were sailiing out to sea past the full moon shining acrss the water to us and then a 40 ish mile trip home in the Marlin with the top down on a warm summers night (remember them?!). One of those drives you never forget.
Steve.
So overall it looks like I won't need to stop in the hard shoulder, as if the rain is bad and I'm moving I won't get wet but if the traffic slows to the point I'd get wet, I can opperate the roof thanks to my new roof relay that lets me use the roof moving.
Hard shoulder- closing convertible roof? - Simon
>>I can opperate the roof thanks to my new roof relay that lets me use the roof moving.

I got visions of you closing the roof whilst moving (even up to your 25mph) and the wind taking the roof straight off the car.
Hard shoulder- closing convertible roof? - martint123
I saw some clown (well I actually thought it was cool) driving a convertible with a motorcycle crash helmet on the M1.......probably a broken roof.

Have you come across the Dutch motorway plod? - supercool - (targa?) top down/off in their fluorescent orange Porches, step out with their full length black leather coats with white crash helmets - very intimidating.

Have you come across the Dutch motorway plod? - supercool - (targa?) top down/off in
their fluorescent orange Porches step out with their full length black leather coats with white
crash helmets - very intimidating.

I'm sorry, if that happened to me I would wet myself with laughter. It probably wouldnt help matters!
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
I got visions of you closing the roof whilst moving (even up to your 25mph) and the wind taking the roof straight off the car

Yeah so have I! It's more usefull to use when at lights when they unexpectedly change to green so you're not left sitting there like a wally than for use at 25MPH where there's potentially enough wind resistance to cause damage
Hard shoulder- closing convertible roof? - JamesH
I have the SmartTop myself - a very useful mod. Also lets you get out and do the 'chop' when opening, without opening the roof in two stages.

My advice on a freeflowing road in the rain with the roof down is to just keep on going. Keeping above 50mph should mean you stay dry with most rain. A few weeks ago it was lashing it down and the tops of the seats, my hair and wind deflector were all wet, but not soaked. I was a little concerned about how a small amount of water ran down the inside of the drivers window where it met the A-pillar, with the drips heading towards the door speaker, but they ran past it.

Slowing down to 25mph to shut the roof will probably get you most wet.

Also, if the weather was good enough to have the roof open before the rain, it may also be ok on the other side and it would be more hassle to get off the motorway again to put the roof down again, also taking more time than dropping the roof if taking care of the plastic window.

Unsurprisingly, the 986 roof mechanism was not designed to be opened when moving so I would take extra care if it is a gusty day.
Hard shoulder- closing convertible roof? - movilogo
I really wonder if someone is going to get a ticket for pulling up roof on hard shoulder!
Hard shoulder is fine for ANY emergency stop. Driving a convertible in heavy rain with roof open is clearly a hazard. So, one should be allowed to stop on hard shoulder. I'm sure even a cop will appreciate this issue (after all you're not speeding).

PS: I still don't understand why people buy convertible anyway ;)