Air Conditioning - John Davis
The a/con in my ten year old imported vehicle, has, I believe CFC type gas and I understand that it is mandatory to have the new type of gas if the a/c system requires service. Is there also a requirement to have the high and low pressure fill/test couplings changed from a screw type to a push on self seal connectors (or vice versa). I have been told that the existing couplings cannot be used with the latest a/con servicing equipment. Could anyone kindly advise please ?
Re: Air Conditioning - Honestjohn
See FAQ answer.

HJ
Re: Air Conditioning - Dave N
John, it isn't a legal requirement to have the fittings changed, although someone with a modern machine may not have the older fittings that fit. However, it is good practice to change them, as well as label the vehicle to the effect that it now contains R134a, quantity, and oil used. The filter/drier should also be changed to one that is compatible with the new gas.

If it needs gas, then it probably has a leak, so you want to get this sorted before you fiill with gas. There are also a number of problems that can occur when the gas is changed, so have a look at www.autoair.co.uk/r12 as it contains all the info, so you can make an informed decision.
Re: Wrong web address - Dave N
Sorry, use www.autoair.co.uk/r12.htm
Re: Wrong web address - John Davis
Thanks HJ and Dave. Most helpful comments.