Cretinous drivers in the floods - Orson {P}
I don't wish to unfairly castigate anyone for being overwhelmed by the water. However, a number of times yesterday in Sheffield, police closed roads due to flooding. These were blocked off with cones and or police officers or PCSO's. Several times, motorists seemed to think that it didn't apply to them, and moved cones so that they could go through. Surprise surprise, they got stuck. More to the point, other innocents saw no cones, followed and also got stuck. Crazy and selfish, and serves them right.

I reiterate, total sympathy for all those caught up through no fault of their own. But to the selfish few - serves you right, and I hope the insurance companies don't pay out for you.

O
--
Career: (n) Job, profession.
(v) Downhill, rapidly, out of control.
Cretinous drivers in the floods - Westpig
too true

i'd be pretty cross as well....if i was maintaining a steady, gentle bow wave through a depth i thought i could manage and meet some selfish git coming the other way in his work's van pushing a deluge
Cretinous drivers in the floods - Pugugly {P}
What little water I encountered around here yesterday was easily fordable even by SUVs. :amdie takes most thing in its stride now I've had its breathing altered...
Cretinous drivers in the floods - mss1tw
Do Ford have a soft roader out now then? ;o)
few years back drove down a country lane in South Devon which had flooded in foul weather... didn't know how deep, so stopped, bunged the wellies on and walked it.

When it got to the bit where it would have gone over the wellies i thought sod that and went another route

why do people think they're invincible?

even in a city there's bridges under railway lines that regularly flood in cloud bursts....and people regularly get stuck in them.....why?
What I couldn't believe was all those children playing in it......full of all kinds of stuff....pooh springs to mind.
Cretinous drivers in the floods - rtj70
Watching the news last night with a live report coming in. Water behind reporter really deep as he was speaking. Surprise surprise a car drove past him until the water was upto the tops of the doors! Then reverse lights come on and they do reverse out in time. Incredible.

Few minutes later a smallish 4x4 (don't recall the model/marque) did the same but did get through. Water was really high and surprised they made it to be honest. But they were probably desperate to get home to family etc.

Where we live the rain was heavy and thankfully the area is not flooded or anything. But in a straight line Sheffield is only 30 miles away so it could have been different. Colleague in Wakefield says the sport centre there is being used as shelter for those in Wakefield that have been flooded. So on that side of the Pennines it sounds like they had a lot more rain than we did on the Manchester side.

Hope everyone on here are okay and not affected - and my thoughts with those affected because it must be a nightmare. But if this is global warming... we need to start spending some money.
Cretinous drivers in the floods - David Horn
It's not global warming; it's simply a kink in the jetstream which has lodged a depression over us. The rain we've had so far is less than half of that in 1955.
Cretinous drivers in the floods - Civic8
>>It's not global warming

I heard its the gulf stream cooling down,so we can expect more of the same,we will be needing motor boats soon if it carries on ; (
Cretinous drivers in the floods - local yokel
You do have to remember is that the driving test does not test intelligence.

About half of all people are of below average intelligence, so by that reckoning a goodly percentage of drivers really should not be allowed out on their own.

When the weather is fair, they don't do too badly, but once the conditions change, such as snow, ice, rain floods etc., then their lack of cranial power shows only too well.

I'm brilliant, of course.
Cretinous drivers in the floods - J Bonington Jagworth
"half of all people are of below average intelligence"

Except in Lake Wobegon, where "all the children are above average".. :-)
Cretinous drivers in the floods - PhilW
"its the gulf stream cooling down"

If it's that, you will need crampons for walking and a snowmobile to get to work.

Of course, we could have said the same in 1955, or 1952, or maybe in "the summer without sun" in 19th C.

Pray tell me - in this time of global warming, with the tropical seas warming so rapidly that all the world's coral is dieing, that it is causing so many more hurricanes (OK, it did in 2005 with Katrina etc - except 1933 was worse , but there were no significant hurricanes in 2006 which most people forget to mention), tropical isles are disappearing under rising sea levels, (oh, except that a "sea level measurer" thing in New Zealand shows no perceptible change over 400 years) how come the Gulf Stream (or North Atlantic Drift ) is cooling down??
--
Phil
>>how come the Gulf Stream (or North Atlantic Drift ) is cooling down??

No idea,but we were warned in the 70`s that a .1 degree difference in temp colder would affect the weather in Britain,though this weather was forcast anyway in the 70`s,its just nobody thought anymore of it,or didnt want to as usuall
Cretinous drivers in the floods - Altea Ego
I heard its the gulf stream cooling down so we can expect more of the
same we will be needing motor boats soon if it carries on ; (

Make mine a sunseeker then please.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Cretinous drivers in the floods - nick74
A girl at work told me the other day "You are fine driving through flood water as long as it doesn't get in the exhaust" !!

If this is a becoming a common misconception its perhaps not surprising that so many people try to plough through flood water like idiots.
I noticed on the front page of one of today's papers, a photo of two old model Renault Trafics ploughing through the floods, both with the water over the front grille and the second clearly going too fast and creating a huge bow-wave that hopefully engulfed his engine a few seconds later.

WRT 'global warming' I heard Blair jumping on the bandwagon this morning, giving us all another lecture ! As Professor Philip Stott points out, climate change is not news, as it's been doing it for millennia, but the doomwatchers love it because it's an excuse for them to tell us all off (and to get more funding). I recommend this as an antidote:
parliamentofthings.info/newessay.html
Cretinous drivers in the floods - sony
Spent all night in the Royal Mail depot in Sheffield. Longest night of my life. Thankfully managed to park on the central reservation. Checking the car this morning it seems a few cones and the likes may have hit the back of it but it looks fine.
We were freezing, no electricity, etc.... But many thanks to royal mail workers who did a top job!
Cretinous drivers in the floods - injection doc
what a lot of people forget is that its not so much the depth of the water but how many manhole covers have lifted or washed away which in turn creates a hazard for pedestrians and people getting out of their cars & the rescuers that have to go & risk their necks to save someone elses. Some of these holes can have huge suction & wip a body away in a flash
Cretinous drivers in the floods - milkyjoe
falling into a "blown" drain cover that is submerged under water is a very dangerous situation to befall , im suprised it doesnt happen more often
falling into a "blown" drain cover that is submerged under water is a very dangerous
situation to befall

That thought had never occured to me, what a horrible way to go.

Water/suction type things are a bit of a phobia of mine! (wave machines at pools etc)
my villiage often gets flood signs put up occasionally through out the year as its close to the river soar near mountsorrel , so we take the back roads ( up the hill) and around to get on the main drag , i think its a few dimmed brained cretins who think that driving through a flooded road is a good laugh till they get unstuck when there alternator gets waterlogged or the starter motor shorts the diode pack via said alternator as its slung low (fords) amongst many im sure
How many of these pink fluffy dice hydraulic locked their engines I wonder?
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Cretinous drivers in the floods - Group B
How many of these pink fluffy dice hydraulic locked their engines I wonder?

I had to go and get a tyre repaired yesterday morning. There was a bloke in the garage with a Fiesta, the fitter told me the owner had driven into water which he thought was a foot deep, but was actually three feet deep. "He's totally wrecked his engine", he told me in a loud voice within earshot of the owner (but he didnt say wrecked, he said something else the swear filter wouldnt like).
"driving through a flooded road ""near mountsorrel ,"

Slash Lane, Joe??
--
Phil
Slash Lane Joe??

yeah , betwix sorrel and the barrow road
im in sileby so i go for the ratcliffe road tward the a46 on such occasions, where are you then phil?
Cretinous drivers in the floods - Ruperts Trooper
One bloke in Pershore tried to drive through a ford, despite the fact it was in flood with a depth gauge visible - the car got swept away - they found a body today.
theres always one..poor bloke
"where are you then phil? "

Barrow on Soar- and I could go via Sileby to work each day but go "over the top" via Paudy Lane and Seagrave to A46. Too much traffic on Barrow -Sileby road, especially when floods are up and everybody goes that way, and all the school buses! Noticed Slash lane and Sileby -
Mountsorrel closed much of this week. Usual pictures on TV of people ignoring the signs and getting stuck!
--
Phil
Cretinous drivers in the floods - Nsar
This Sheffield thing makes me mad as hell. These guys get to screw up their cars for free. I had to pay good money to drive my Landy all the way to the off-road course at Driffield to destroy the starter motor, clog the rad with silt and blow the gasket.

There's no justice.
Cretinous drivers in the floods - L'escargot
Going off at a slight tangent ~ having an inspection pit is all very well until you get the amount rain we've had recently. Yesterday I spent over an hour pumping 580 mm (depth) of water out of mine. Before I look into the pit today I'm going to buy some 25 mm hose to replace the 12 mm hose currently on the outlet of the pump to try to speed up the process.
--
L\'escargot.
Cretinous drivers in the floods - madf
My inspection pit is dry.. or at least no damper than normal. Mind you we are halfway up a hill and the garage is on ground downwards sloping..

(Part of my house choosing criteria is flooding.. or likelhood of. I was brought up near the sea and local flooding was a every winter occurrence. I saw pictures of classic places to flood: new houses on flood plains, near rivers etc. All those are nogos as far as I am concerned...)

As far as motoring goes, well nothing surprises me. I reckon a good 10% of motorists either leave common sense behind when they start driving .. or have none..Rule no#1 If you can't see the road, don't drive into the flood...We've had lots of rain but nothing like the flash storms of 2 ?3 years ago when water was literally rushing down the fields and flooding roads that were not flat (i.e they were on a slope).. the volumes were so great the roads could not cope...
madf
Cretinous drivers in the floods - Orson {P}
We've had lots of rain
but nothing like the flash storms of 2 ?3 years ago when water was literally
rushing down the fields and flooding roads that were not flat (i.e they were on
a slope).. the volumes were so great the roads could not cope...
madf

This was exactly what we had in the north side of the city - out towards Stocksbridge (on the way to Woodhead pass) we had torrents of water tearing up the tarmac on some very steep roads indeed. Certain roads that you would think would never flood in a million years did, in fact, erm...flood. The water washed away the verges and then got underneath the road and washed away the foundations, causing the tarmac to lift, break up and then get washed away. Certain other rivers that are usually muddy ditches rose 3 metres above normal in the space of 2-3 hours.
Incidentally, the main A61 into/out of Sheffield is shut outside Chapeltown on the Crown garage bend (junction of the A629 for Huddersfield) and will be for 2 months. What I described above happened, and the road has split, and has no foundations. They need to dig it out and relay the whole lot. Should be nice, as the major arterial road in from the north (M1 J36). There are diversions, but they go a long way round.

O
--
Career: (n) Job, profession.
(v) Downhill, rapidly, out of control.
Cretinous drivers in the floods - Ravenger
My one hour commute on Monday evening turned into 4 hours as a colleague (who was driving) and I had to divert around traffic jams and numerous closed roads.

Worst example of driving I saw was an inconsiderate 4x4 driver. Some cars were driving slowly through a section of flooded road, and the 4x4 driver (coming from the opposite direction) obviously thought 'no problem', and drove through pretty fast. It created a huge bow-wave which threatened to swamp the cars going in the opposite direction!

One interesting incident: We'd stopped at a flood, because we were unsure of the depth. A car had broken down after going through, and was stuck in the middle of the road just ahead of us.

Then a white people carrier type van with privacy glass windows suddenly pulled in front of us. We thought "that's cheeky" then noticed the flashing blue lights in the indicators. Four police officers got out, all wearing body armour, baseball caps and boots. It was the armed response unit! They pushed the broken down car to the side of the road and cleared a fallen tree branch, then drove off through the flood, which conveniently showed us that it wasn't too deep.
Cretinous drivers in the floods - Cliff Pope
What I couldn't believe was all those children playing in it......full of all kinds of
stuff....pooh springs to mind.

Pooh and Piglet were marooned on an island after torrential rain, but were rescued after Piglet sent a message in a bottle.
Cretinous drivers in the floods - OldHand
On a few other forums I read the cretins in question are actually whining that they were stopped by 'mickey mouse pretend policeman' from proceeding on their way through the flooding. Amazing isn't it?
I read the cretins in question are actually whining that they were stopped by 'mickey mouse pretend policeman' from proceeding on their way through the flooding. Amazing isn't it?
>>

I recently posted about an AA man blocking the road re a flood........and glad he did......why on earth not accept whatever help you can get?
Cretinous drivers in the floods - Brian Tryzers
>Pooh and Piglet were marooned on an island...

Not quite. Piglet was stuck in his house while Pooh was up a tree with his jars of honey. Pooh got Piglet's message but couldn't read it, so he paddled a jar - named The Floating Bear - to Christopher Robin, whose house had become an island. CR read the Important Missage and he and Pooh set off in his upturned umbrella - named The Brain of Pooh - to rescue Piglet. Winnie the Pooh then concludes with the grand party thrown by CR in honour of Pooh's bravery. Then, in The House at Pooh Corner, Piglet reciprocates by escaping heroically from a fallen tree to summon help for Owl and Pooh.
Cretinous drivers in the floods - Cliff Pope
Many thanks for that correction, WdeB. I must read the book again.
I think all motorists should carry large umbrellas in case they get stranded in floodwater. (It is actually possible to float in a golfing umbrella - the difficulty is getting in)
Cretinous drivers in the floods - Brian Tryzers
I knew someone would come up with a motoring link - good work, Cliff!
>>I think all motorists should carry large umbrellas in case they get stranded in floodwater

Or fit external airbags to the bottom of cars so they can float
The problem is that cars DO float (for a short while anyway)

If the water gets too deep, and it has some strong flow, you can soon find that your wheels dont touch and you are then in deep doo doo.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
>>If the water gets too deep, and it has some strong flow, you can soon find that your wheels dont touch and you are then in deep doo doo.

Yes,but with bags fitted they should at least be stable enough to prevent further damage.

Theory anyway,probably wouldnt work in the real world??
Cretinous drivers in the floods - stevied
WillDeBeest, you've made me feel 5 years old! I may suck my thumb and have a sleep now.
Cretinous drivers in the floods - billy25
Just popping off on a slight tangent, re the Mickey Mouse Policemen.
In a nearby town, a lollipop person was off sick for a few weeks, so a local PCSO took it upon himself to "step into the breach" at the appropriate times. Then a "red-tape" fanatic at the local council realised that PCSO's do not have the power to stop traffic as do proper bobbies, and duly reported the situation to Police chiefs, who had no alternative to withdraw his help. As they had no spare person to take his place, this left the darling tykes at the mercy of nasty mr car man.

one word, LUNACY!

Billy
Cretinous drivers in the floods - Group B
Worst example of driving I saw was an inconsiderate 4x4 driver. Some cars were driving
slowly through a section of flooded road and the 4x4 driver obviously thought 'no problem'
and drove through pretty fast. It created a huge bow-wave
which threatened to swamp the cars going in the opposite direction!

I saw a bloke in a lorry do the same thing, the water was getting on for 18" deep and he tore through it as if it wasnt there, created a massive wave, its a good job there wasnt a car going through on our side at the time.

The dumbest one I saw (I walked to the post office as our local roads were gridlocked) was on a flooded roundabout a Polo had been abandoned in the water with hazard flashers on, there was room for other cars to squeeze past, which they had been doing. Then one idiot bloke turned up and stopped behind the Polo, blocking the road, and stalled his car. So a fire crew had to stop what they were doing and push him out of the way. Was as if he had not seen the stationary Polo with the hazards on until he got right up behind it!
Cretinous drivers in the floods - local yokel
carry a tarpaulin!

From www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/98/a2098398.sh...l:

"I remembered reading a book ?Across Africa in an Austin Seven?. When they came to a river too deep to ford, they wrapped the car in a tarpaulin and carried it into the water. If only I could carry my lorries. Then it occurred to me put them in the water first and afterwards pump out the water. The O.C. was not very keen and thought it might capsize. I assured him that with a beam of seven feet and a draft of five inches it could not. I thought of all the possible snags. Obviously there must be a frame underneath. When I made this I was careful to make sure there were no sharp corners to snag the tarpaulin and no gaps. At last I was ready my Havildar (sergeant) came to me and said ?The lorry won?t float, Sahib, the tarpaulin won?t float. I remember in the training battalion we made rafts with petrol cans. Let me fill the lorry with cans. I will cover them over so no one knows, and then it might float?. The next day we spent raking the river bed to make sure there were no stones which could tear the tarpaulin. We pumped it out and it floated. The Havildar came to me and said ?My leg has been pulled most unmercifully. May I take a truck and bring the other senior N.C.O?s and show them?? When they and most of the Squadron returned, he had them lined up and the river bank and harangued them and said that is what C Troop does."

I've seen this done, BTW, with a caravan that a guy wanted to get across a Scottish loch, to use as temp accom. while he re-built the croft. It was too big to fit down the lane.
Same theory as the duplex drive tank. Word here is theory, didnt work too well in practise on the day.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Cretinous drivers in the floods - Muggy
I frequently wonder why the emergency services don't have a fleet of small, low cost hovercraft for flood rescue work like the RNLI does [ for people who get stuck in quicksand and mud flats ]?

These things carry about half a dozen people and can easily fit on a normal sized trailer for easy deployment.

It would completely avoid the risks of rescue workers falling into those blown manholes and would be much faster than boats and dinghys with the added advantage of not making any noticable wash.
Slightly off topic, watching today's news I was treated to a view of two Police Officers in a RIB slowly making their way along flooded streets, both were wearing body armour, a bit iffy if the fell in surely.
"both were wearing body armour"

A precaution against angry motorists, perhaps, if the rest of this thread is any indication.

I enjoyed the Pooh/Piglet diversion, though...
Cretinous drivers in the floods - Nsar
Have you seen the size of those Sheffield Swordfish?
Cretinous drivers in the floods - hcm
what always amuses me when there are floods/snow/wind are the local bbc reporters who stand next to water/snow drift /blown down tree and report as if they are watching some momentous event.

the king of this was andrew bilton (i think that's his name) who would always pop up knee deep in water, with a face like death, and report along the lines that a local duck had been swept away, and how the whole community was struggling to come to terms with its demise. i always hoped someone would push him in when doing a live piece..

in addition they struggle between a childlike excitement at having something to report on for once and remembering to seem serious.

glad to have got that off my chest!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvdpYgX4f7Q

:^D
Oh dear there will be one very unhappy fleet manager.
Cretinous drivers in the floods - rtj70
Did you see the bow wave on that :-) No matter how high the air intake was it was doomed. Like the way the driver has paused before just going for it. Wonder what reprimand followed that?
Cretinous drivers in the floods - greenhey
Some twonk on a phone-in on Monday was ranting because the police had not allowed his wife to drive on through a flood, given that she was in a Jeep Cherokee.
Neither he nor the presenter seemed to appreciate
- There might have been degradation of the road surface under the flood
- Whatever the car the key issue is the position of the air intake and I would assume police couldnt know where that was on every car that turned up ( if she had ruined the car could she have sued them for allowing her through?)
- If the car had broken down in the flood the police would have had to retrieve it to open the road post-flood or for emergency vehicles.
The sheer "me-first" of people depresses me
Cretinous drivers in the floods - Lud
Very funny indeed.