Renault Clio (1998 R) Alarm problem - Flying-Moose

Hello all,

Immediately I'm sure seeing Renault Clio, and Alarm and problem, there must be the rolling of eyes somewhere, but still... I recently acquired an R Reg Renault Clio RXE, which has a standard fit immobiliser and alarm, and now on its first day of service, while travelling on a fast A road a mysterious beeping started and I noted an indicator light on - I presumed that I'd failed to cancel my turn signal when I'd come round a roundabout, but on turning off said A road matters got worse - the alarm went off, while I was in the car, while I was driving - clearly this is not a happy or particularly safe experience. I pulled over, turned the car off, withdrew the key and pointed it at the little remote locking and alarm receiver and pressed the plipper and the alarm switched off. I started off again and carried on driving, and no problem.

Naturally however, I wonder if this is a symptom of something more troublesome - the previous owner of the car, who I know to be trustworthy had not said that the car had any persistent faults. This time I was lucky, I was two hundred yards from a turn off the A road and was going past a layby when the alarm sounded.

So, story over I wonder:

* Is it "normal Clio behaviour" for the alarm to go off at random while the car was in motion? I mean, its been hot and I wonder if perhaps there was a circuit overheat?

* Should I worry that it will happen again? And if so, strand me somewhere?

* Should I go and speak to my friendly mechanic soon?

* If, heavens forbid, it does happen again somewhere where I cannot stop - is there something I can do? Or do I have to carry on driving looking like I've just stolen the vehicle?

Thank you for reading, and my thanks for any help anyone can offer.

regards,

flyingmoose.
Renault Clio (1998 R) Alarm problem - bell boy
im pretty confident that you have water ingress from the roof aerial into the immobilisor pickup,
drop down the circuit board and dry it out if not too contaminated and green......remove aerial and either replace with a new reno one £17 or give it a good dollop of silicone where it meets the roof