Collecting from a car supermarket. Tips? - Slightlyfatdirector
On Tuesday afternoon I will be going to collect a car I have put a deposit on - despite having not seen it.

Another thread here gives a little background as I am picking up a rather cheap 2005, 12k miles Almera for my wife.

It is from a major car supermarket in Slough who should be well known to most who contribute on here.

Is there anything I should look out for when I collect the car (apart from the obvious such as the condition of it being as described to me by the salesman)? The guy I have been dealing with on the telephone has been very good and very helpful, but I dare say collections are done with different people.

I have 'bought blind' before for company cars for my staff (with great success) from Motorpoint, and they have collected with no problems, but I have never done it myself with my own cash!

Has anyone experience of this particular trader and their collection routine with any possible tips on what to expect or what to be aware of?

Any comments or advice would be gratefully appreciated.
Collecting from a car supermarket. Tips? - flunky
It is from a major car supermarket in Slough who should be well known to
most who contribute on here.

My father bought his Almera from there, nothing to report really... I'd just check carefully for bodywork/interior damage, quite a few supermarket cars have dents, which they don't bother to repair.
Collecting from a car supermarket. Tips? - Pandaman
I purchased a Punto from a not disimilar vendor. Check the paint very carefully, including the roof and engine bay. Any marks will have been polished out temporarily. Walk away if your not totally satisfied. Your experience with Motorpoint may not be replicated at other outlets, they have a good reputation. You may find that smiling friendship extends just to the point you hand over the cheque.
Collecting from a car supermarket. Tips? - UncleR
Just out of interest, I suppose you are in a slightly weaker negotiating position if you see stone chips or the odd dent as you've given a (presumably non-returnable) deposit? Unless you've already asked specific questions such as "does it have stone chips" and "are there any dents" etc.
Collecting from a car supermarket. Tips? - a900ss
As you have purchased this car over the phone, would the distance selling regulations apply that gives you a 'cooling off' period?
Collecting from a car supermarket. Tips? - Bill Payer
I always take a list with me of things to check, spare key, docs, handbook, tools, spare tyre etc etc - otherwise I'd get flustered and forget something and then feel very annoyed with myself afterwards!

Someone else who has actually bought a car from them will hopefully advise, but I think the collection location is separated from the sales location.
Collecting from a car supermarket. Tips? - bell boy
i would check it has oil in the engine before i left the premises irrespective of what a pdi may say
Collecting from a car supermarket. Tips? - Falkirk Bairn
As well as checking the car for scratches, dents etc

Check that it is the model you have paid for - i.e. if you have paid for the GLX (I do not know the Nissan nomenclature) make sure it is not just the LX - if you have paid 12 mths RFL make sure it is 12 mths on the screen and not just 6 months
Collecting from a car supermarket. Tips? - MGspannerman
I recently bought a corolla diesel from Cargiant, an absolute bargain price complete with very low mileage and lots of toys. What amused me was that they apparently conduct a 114 point safety check after you agree to buy but before you collect. Evidently this safety check does not extend to things such as tyre pressures, they were all over the place, which I would have thought a pretty elementary item to check. So my advice would be to check the oil, as mentioned above, and all the other routine, minor service items. I avoided the extra warranty that they wanted to sell me as well, to much tooth sucking on behalf of the salesman, they even had to go and get the head insurance honcho who had the code to bypass the insurance page and took the opprtunity to, once again, just to be on the safe side, check that I really did not want three years cover for only £800. However 4k miles further on and I am delighted with the car and would happily return there to get the right car at the right price.

MGs
Collecting from a car supermarket. Tips? - boxsterboy
Check you've got:

ALL the keys
Spare Wheel and brace (these often go AWOL from former renters, which this car most likely is
Handbook
Service Book
Sight of V5/tear off slip
Check the oil/water levels and tyre pressures
Receipt

And obviously check for damage to body, wheel rims and tyres, interior, operation of electrical gadgets.

Check all this BEFORE signing your life away.
Many thanks for the tips. As there were a selection of the same cars with very similar mileage I got the sales guy to go and find me the best one. He has reported no scratches or scrapes, presence of handbook and service history book and best mileage. I will of course check these myself when I get there but I thought it would be a good idea to get the sales guy to select the car he would buy with his own money.

I know that this means he could choose the dog he hasn't been able to sell for 6 months, but I don't think this is the case here. They had quite a few of the same car in the same colour all from the same lease company. He seemed very honest and genuine and explained that some of the cars had not got proof of their service history and some had, and he found one that was complete and only serviced 500 miles ago.

Collecting from a car supermarket. Tips? - Blue {P}
I've bought a new car there a few years ago and had no problems, it's a long walk from the sales location to the collection facility though!

Blue
Collecting from a car supermarket. Tips? - retgwte
usual problem is getting all the keys or alarm blippers

they do a roaring trade in cars with master keys missing

Well, I collected the car from Trade Sales yesterday and we are very happy with it.

A very efficient process with all the paperwork as described, the car clean and well presented and a hand over that was fast and efficient. Spare wheel and tools present and correct and both keys supplied along with stamped service book and handbook.

In and out in 15 minutes.

A couple of very tiny scratches on the paintwork but the car is 2 years old after all.

Very happy wife. A happy wife = happy husband (albeit £5k lighter).
Collecting from a car supermarket. Tips? - flunky
usual problem is getting all the keys or alarm blippers
they do a roaring trade in cars with master keys missing

Does anyone know why this happens???