Renault Laguna 1.9Dci power dips - oikodomophobia
Hi Folks

I have a 2001 Renault LaGuna 1.9DCi

i recently started to suffer from dips in power, driving a long i would press the accelerator and there would be no power after a few seconds the engine managment light would come on, i would stop the car, restart and everything would be ok for a while. so last week i took the car to a Renault Main dealer, he diagnosed the EGR valve and No 3 Injector needed replacing £636.36 Parts and Labour, at the weekend i took the car for a run to Newcastle low and behold the fault raises it's ugly head again so i stop the car and it goes away,

I returned the car to the main dealer this morning just been on the phone to them and they told me it needs further new parts, there is a rip in the intercooler wall. a further £357.00

I beleive that the rip in the intercooler wall is either the original fault or has been caused when the EGR valve has been replaced. [I believe there is a tool that can clean The EGR Valve ( they coke up supposedly)]

Do you think that sounds reasonable or am i clutching at straws, i think the mechanich/technician may has been a little negligent on this occasion.

my car is going to be repaired but the dealership manager is not back until Thursday. i dont want to pay for these repairs until i have spoken to him. so am going to leave the car there until then.

Renault Laguna 1.9Dci power dips - Xileno {P}
A swollen intercooler is often due to the EGR valve sticking closed, causing both the combustion chamber temp to increase and also the the air into the intercooler. You need to find out why the EGR *may* have stuck closed, it may be just dodgy or maybe the turbo oil seals are wearing, allowing oil to be burned and clogging the valve up.

This needs investigation before the car is used again. You need to find out what state the turbo is in otherwise more dramatic events may occur such as running on its own sump oil. If this happens put the car in sixth gear, handbrake on, footbrake on and stall the engine.

That's worst case stuff though, let's be optimistic.
If the Intercooler was ripped before surely the technician should have diagnosed this, otherwise it is the new EGR valve that has stuck causing the swelling.

The car is being repaired tommorrow then they are taking it for a "Intensive test drive".

I think it will probably be better to leave the car at the dealership until i have been able to speak to the Manager, i think under the circumstances some discount or this extra work should be gratis
If the Intercooler was ripped before surely the technician should have diagnosed this,

You would hope so.
otherwise it is the new EGR valve that has stuck causing the swelling.

Might be - but hard, if not impossible, to prove.

The car is being repaired tommorrow then they are taking it for a "Intensive test drive".

I am not sure what that will prove - if anything.

I would get them to check the turbo.

What mileage is it on?

64k for a diesel you would think it is not run in yet!
Do you think it is possible that the technician could have damaged the walling while installing the new EGR valve, i am trying to get the car sorted i am driving to Corfu on the 25th July and was looking forward to it, now i am feeling a little uneasy....

in the past i have drove it in Transits and not been bothered but this time i am getting worried,

the car is 4000 miles from a service, i have organised to have this done next week from the garage i originally purchased the car from as he promised a free one
I can't see how the technician could damage the intercooler when installing the new EGR.

I would not drive this car another mile in this state, never mind a long drive to Corfu.

You must get the turbo checked - I suspect the seals are wearing, hence the EGR and intercooler problems.

64K - unfortunately this is an early (pre June 2003) F9Q engine. Problems not unknown at this relatively low mileage.

At least it should be covered by the Yellow OTS if it does end up an expensive mess...
ok maybe not when the ERG was installed, but it seems a bit fishy,

that it suddenly needs doing no mention of it last week when it was in the garage, the threat to the turbo was only mentioned today

I told the receptionist this morning that i believe the technician is just changing parts until they hit it on the end.

I think as long as i go in there on Thursday with as much information as possible, the manager is not going to be able to push me over
Renault Laguna 1.9Dci power dips - Altea Ego
oik

Not sure if you have still appreciated the sticky road you may now be on. This road could lead to complete engine failure. You have all the signs to indicate the turbo may well shortly be on the way out leading to a wrecked engine. Dont start nit picking with the garage. dont start trying to blame them for trying to rip you off. And dont blame them for breaking things.

I wouldnt even think about taking this thing abroad till you have the full remedial work done, or checked. You have a strong change of having the powerless hulk towed home
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
I am having all of the work carried out, i am getting them to check the turbo. i am trying to make sure the car is A1 before i even consider driving it the 1300 miles to Greece.

You can imagine in this day and age a bill for just over a grand is a shock to anybodies system!!!!

I dont think i am nit picking, it seems a lot of people on here and on other forums are all saying the same thing "Turbo Trouble" , strange my main dealer never mentioned it.

you would have thought with the diagnostics they have and the knowledge it would be the first thing they would have looked for.
"You can imagine in this day and age a bill for just over a grand is a shock to anybodies system!!!!"

I would not pay a penny more until you have a report on the state of the turbo. If it's duff, the Yellow OTS should pay. That way you may only have to pay up for the new intercooler and EGR - not too bad. The turbo is the expensive item. While they are at it, get them to fit the modified oil feed pipes to the turbo.

If you have to pay over a grand then I don't think I would bother. For £2000 you can have a 2001 1.6 petrol, 80000 miles - Autotrader.

Renault petrol engines are quite robust, the diesels appear more variable.
Just an update on the car.

I have just had a telephone call from the main dealer, seems they have repaired the car, the mechanic drove the car home last night and to work this morning. they have just asked if it is ok for him to test drive it over the weekend, i wonder if that means he is going to take it to Whitby and maybe round Croft, for its intensive test drive.

I just want the car back 110% repaired. at the moment i am quite willing to let them get on with it.

since taking the car in on tuesday moring, i have had to telephone them everyday for updates and i am not talking about 10.30 in the morning , i am talking about 4.30ish. everytime they tell me they where just about to phone me.

Yesterday they actually finally gave us a loan car. A diesel Clio and you wont believe me when i say most of the warning lights on the dash are up or flashing!!!!!
Renault Laguna 1.9Dci power dips - Altea Ego
Find out whats been done to it.

Better it fails on him round croft than on you in downtown athens
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Renault Laguna 1.9Dci power dips - Aprilia
A diesel Clio and you wont
believe me when i say most of the warning lights on the dash are up
or flashing!!!!!

Oh yes I will!
Reading the post again (often helps....) this car is too old to be covered by the OTS. Sorry for misleading you.
Got the car back today, after speaking to a lot of people and taking advice from you guys on here. my wife collected the car, we paid the balance, i had earlier telephoned and asked all of the questions that i should have Turbo seals etc, everything seems to be ok, so fingers crossed

Yamas to you all!

PS, you would think after you have had a thousand pounds off someone you could run a jetwash over the car, it was filthy when it came back. robbing deleted - DD
Renault Laguna 1.9Dci power dips - paulfindon

Im currently suffering with the same problem, I had the turbo replaced about 3 years ago when the seals went and filled everything with oil.

It did expand the intercooler but it didnt rupture. The turbo was replaced at a huge cost to me from Renault and everything was flushed and cleaned through.

The car has ran fine till about 6 months go.

You would be driving along when the engine light came on and no power, you would stop switch off and it would be fine. So the EGR valve was changed and the mass airflow censor changed also. This cured the light problem and the huge loss of power.

Now every so often i just get the loss of power but if i let the revs go down to tick over it clears.....

oh and my mpg has gone down to around 30mpg.....

I dont think its the turbo as its only 3 years old....

any idears?

Renault Laguna 1.9Dci power dips - madf

Check:

air filter

Loose hoses

Broken hoses

Missconnected hose.

Get it sorted and sell it.

It's a Renault. Designed to go wrong.

Renault Laguna 1.9Dci power dips - Fernando P

The EGR valve (often) needs cleaning ~ 18 mths, especially if short runs are the norm. Symptoms are slow pull away, eg from a roundabout and a good puff of black smoke is emitted when doing so, as well as poor fuel consumption.