insurance taking the michael - milkyjoe
i rang up norwich union to cancel my policy today because ive been shopping around and found a better deal elseware, they want £50.00 to cancel my policy, ive been paying monthly by d/d are they talking carp or what, if i have to pay £50 to cancel then i wont save any money with the new policy where do i stand ? thanks.....
insurance taking the michael - geoff1248
Have you taken out a 12 month policy with NU but are paying monthly for it? If so then you are probably tied in for the year.
last year i paid in full but this year i decided to pay it in 10 easy monthly instalments with a small deposit to start, i will have to check the small print....i dont recall being warned of a tied in contract when i opted for instalments ... i will check the (micro)print!!!!!
insurance taking the michael - carl_a
i decided to pay it in
10 easy monthly instalments with a small deposit to start

I wouldn't bother checking your policy as you've answered your own question.
yes but i dont want to carry on paying them after this months instalment!!!! i want to go elseware....comprende?
insurance taking the michael - Aprilia
You have bought a 12 month policy but are spreading the payments over 10 months - so you are tied in. They will want their money for the full year I would have thought - £50 to get out seems cheap?
insurance taking the michael - Simon
Yep Aprilia is correct, you have bought a 12 month policy but they are allowing you to pay for it over the length of the policy. Its not a pay as you drive service, ie you can't just cancel whenever you feel like it, you have to either honour the 'contract' or pay the cancellation fee's appropriate.
insurance taking the michael - Dynamic Dave
The mention of the cancellation charge is mentioned here:-

www.norwichunion.com/library/pdfs/policy-car-insur...f
insurance taking the michael - Stuartli
A contract is a contract - protection for both sides and binding in law.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
insurance taking the michael - james86
I hate to say it but £50 to get out is a bargain. Many companies would make you pay the year in full. As long as you're saving more than the £50 by moving then it would seem to be a sensible thing to do.
insurance taking the michael - martint123
You would also lose however much NCD you have earned so far on this policy for this period.
so if the car fails miserably at the mot or has a catastrophic engine failure then ive still got to keep it insured even tho its a lump of iron at the scrapyard or pay the £50? ...blimey
insurance taking the michael - daveyjp
In short yes - if you don't like it read the small print before purchasing and choose an insurer with better terms for you.

I cancelled my insurance in March with renewal due in April, I wasn't expecting a refund so didn't call to call them. When my renewal notice came through I had to call them or they would have taken the premium from my bank account automatically. I told them I had sold my car car so they cancelled the policy and I received a refund of about £25 on a £400 premium.
insurance taking the michael - OldHand
even tho its a lump of iron
at the scrapyard or pay the £50? ...blimey

>>

Correct, life's a pink fluffy dice isn't it?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 02/11/2007 at 18:32

insurance taking the michael - rtj70
If you took out a 12 month policy and paid in advance, should you need to cancel it, you would get a refund of part of the outstanding amount paid minus any admin fees. You bought inusrance presumably on some sort of "finance deal" and so there is a penalty to cancel early. They have lent you the money for the insurance and you're repaying.

Some pay monthly policies do not perhaps do this but they are probably more expensive.

If the new insurance is that much cheaper, pay the £50 and switch ASAP. But read the small print on the new policy first. Things are cheap for a reason when it comes to insurance in my experience.
insurance taking the michael - martint123
so if the car fails miserably at the mot or has a catastrophic engine fail.....

Most people would transfer it to their replacement car, usually cost free or small admin fee.
insurance taking the michael - Simon
Why bother to shop round for a better deal on insurance cover part way through an insurance year? You are theoretically supposed to sort out the best deal at the start of the term and then stick with it. If it is only going to save you £50 anyway then why bother - just leave it until the end of the insurance year and then shop round for the best deal. It really isn't worth the hassle trying to change now.
insurance taking the michael - Pugugly {P}
Its not pay as you go insurance, even of you write it off they'll still expect you to pay what's owed, they're a business.