Vauxhall Meriva 1.7CDTi Chirruping ! - krebb industries
I've got a 1.7cdti vauxhall meriva. The car is fine except for a strange noise, and as the warranty is running out I need to get it sorted.

When accelerating hard in a high gear, from 1400 to 1800rpm there is a load "chirruping" noise from the engine compartment directly in front of the driver.

The engine isn't labouring - it pulls well - but this noise doesn't sound good. Backing off the throttle stops it, and once through the rev range, the problem goes too.

Its done it from new, and vauxhall have just changed the alternator drive belt and tensioner, which seems a reasonable diagnosis.

however, the fault is still there - although much improved.

Is this a common fault? what else does this belt drive ? (the engine bay is so packed that you can't see anything clearly)

Thanks for any advice

Subject line altered to clarify make and type
Diesel meriva Chirruping ! - L'escargot
Is it really a fault or is it just a characteristic of your your make/model of car? What did your dealer say about it?
--
L\'escargot.
Diesel meriva Chirruping ! - John S
As it's related to throttle position, rather than just revs, I wonder if it is likely to be an drive belt fault, which wouldn't normally be 'throttle sensitive'. World Rally Cars produce a distictive 'chirrup' from the turbo wastegate as they accelerate. Not normally heard on road cars, but maybe a fault on yours?

JS
Diesel meriva Chirruping ! - krebb industries
Definitley not turbo wastegate - I know the sound you mean though.

No, its coming from right in front of you in the engine bay, just where the drivebelt is. As I said, it is better now, but not 100% since the garage changed the belt and tensioner pulley.

trying to get any info out of a Vauxhall garage is difficult. Spooty youths man the desks, the service manager fobs you off with rubbish, and the mechanics are hidden from view.

The drivebelt seems to do water pump, air con compressor and alternator. hope nothing goes snap.
Diesel meriva Chirruping ! - roland983
It is the v belt tensioner. Changing mine removed the noise.