Minor rear end shunt question - Leif
This morning (5 minutes ago) I was shunted from behind by a silver Merc. Completely his fault, as he forgot to stop when the traffic in front of me came to a halt. Anyway, it was quite a thud, though I can't see any damage apart from a cracked number plate.

Is this likely to have caused non visible damage?

I will get it checked by the garage to be sure.

I got the registration, his name (from a business card) and supposedly his phone number. I think he was on his mobile at the time. Does anyone see any problem with making a claim against him if there is damage? I suppose he could claim if there is no damage to his car that it was not him.
Minor rear end shunt question - Andy P
Did you get his insurance details?
No but who carries those? Damn, I did not ask his insurers name. I supposedly do have his phone number. And barring that I have his name and work place.
Minor rear end shunt question - a900ss
If it was a modern merc, under 3 years old, it was probably a company car and therefore the driver wouldn;t car less if a claim is made. Likewise his business card is probably genuine.

If it was older than 3 years, it will probably be a private car with his own insurance and therefore he'd probably defend more vigourously.

Either way, he hit you from behind and if damage is discovered by a garage you shouldn't really have a problem. Unless he has no insurance....
Minor rear end shunt question - Altea Ego
Not sure what car you have, but every rear shunt i have heard of has revealed hidden damage. I had one that was quite hard but i thought OK new bumper, and a bit of respray, turned out to be a nearly a right off becuase the boot floor rippled.

Sounds like he is a co car driver. All you can do is make sure he reports it. Phone him to make sure he does. If he is a co car driver the chnaces are is uinsurance company wont deal with you, but only your insurance company.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Minor rear end shunt question - local yokel
Look up the co. in the phone book and call the main switchboard and ask to speak to Mr Merc Driver. Tell him what you intend to do, give him yr details again etc., and then follow as you planned. Make a note of the call time etc.
Minor rear end shunt question - Peter D
Possible hidden damage get ir checked out. Contact him and secure his insurance details in case you need them later. Did he ask for your details as it is common practice to 'Exchage Details' at the scene. I carry a profrma for this so my details are well documents and a form for a witness, if applicable. I also carry a disposable camera with a flash which I change every year easy to but for £1. I also carry a dictaphone and I press the record button before even getting out of the car and put it in my top pocket. This does two things, one, it allows you to complete a statement of events and an accurate declaration of what the other party said, "Oh sorry mate it just skided, my fault, " and it reminds you to SHUT UP, don't argue get a witness if there is one and rattle off the reg numbers of any passing cars. In the envelope with the proformas keep two biro's. Here endith the lesson. Regards Peter
Minor rear end shunt question - commerdriver
Don't worry too much about not having his insurance details, when a young lad backed into my son his mum got all agressive and wouldn't give his insurance details, when we passed it to our insurance they said " don't worry we can get the insurer for that car off the database". We have since got costs & excess back., we still don't know who he was insured with but the insurance companies do.
Minor rear end shunt question - FotheringtonThomas
This morning (5 minutes ago) I was shunted from behind by a silver Merc. Completely
his fault as he forgot to stop when the traffic in front of me came
to a halt. Anyway it was quite a thud though I can't see any damage
apart from a cracked number plate.
Is this likely to have caused non visible damage?

Quite possible, things are designed to crumple.

I will get it checked by the garage to be sure.

Good idea.

I got the registration his name (from a business card) and supposedly his phone number.
I think he was on his mobile at the time. Does anyone see any problem
with making a claim against him if there is damage?

No problem.

>>I suppose he could claim
if there is no damage to his car that it was not him.

Then how did you get his business card and 'phone number?

He deserves to collect his 3 points and a fine, but that'll have to remain a castle in the sky, I suppose!
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I inspected the rear end today, and could find absolutely no sign of damage apart from a cracked number plate. There is no buckling of any panels, no damage to the lights, all 3 doors close fine, and no sign of damage inside the boot, or underneath (where I can see). So I will assume the car is fine.

The other driver was very nonchalant, even saying at one point "Come on, get on with it." A company car driver in a hurry is my guess.
Minor rear end shunt question - MB3
"Come on, get on with it."

Of course, it was driving with that same impatience that got the idiot into the shunt in the first place.

Don't forget whiplash injuries and back injuries... it can take a few days for the symptoms to show...
Minor rear end shunt question - bell boy
Wife had her fiesta bumped a few years back by a woman on her phone and driving a large bmw,wife saw no damage on the back of her car, gave the woman a piece of her mind and drove off.
First i knew of it was 3 days later when we went shopping in it and i put some groceries in the boot (the floor was up 6 inches)
I would never ever do my own inspection but always get an independant repairer to give it a shufty if i wasnt in the trade.
Get it checked pronto Leif
Its too late next year when it goes in for a brake pipe and the buckling is found then