Insurance claim History - Markosoft
Hello,

Last november my car was hit by another driver pulling out of a side turning.

As a 3rd party I claimed on her insurance and had my car fully repaired. IE my claim was settled, albeit slowly, in full.

I informed my insurance company of the accident but didn't claim on my insurance, I didn't even make use of the claims assistance. (wonderful things - camera 'phones and witness statements!)

When my insurance is up for renewal do I still need to "declare" the accident ?

I don't really have a problem with declaring it as it's obvioulsy 100% no fault but if I don't have to I wont.

TIA
Insurance claim History - local yokel
You've told them once - they should keep records of what they are told, you would hope.
Insurance claim History - PR {P}
You need to declare it, by law. It won't affect your premium as long as the costs were recovered. All insurance companies are bothered about in any claim is whether it cost them. If you don't tell them and you need to make a claim you run the risk of not getting a payout
Insurance claim History - SteVee
>>When my insurance is up for renewal do I still need to "declare" the accident ? <<
Tell them whenever they ask - either by phone or on a form.
Always disclose - don't give them an opportunity to wriggle out of a future claim.
Insurance claim History - L'escargot
When my insurance is up for renewal do I still need
to "declare" the accident ?

At renewal time (with the same company) I've never received any request to declare anything ~ all I've ever been asked for is the premium.
--
L\'escargot.
Insurance claim History - daveyjp
But l'escargot insurance is a contract requiring of upmost honesty. If you read your documentation it will clearly state it is up to you to inform your insuracne company of any changes in your circumstances as your premium is based on facts known to them.

Re the OP - just because you were successful in claiming against the other driver don't assume your premium won't be affected. Do online quotes, one with the accident declared and one without and see what quotes you get.
Insurance claim History - Xileno {P}
You must declare all incidents, even those that were not your fault. Your premium may increase even if the accident was not your fault. Harsh but true.

I'm having some fun with insurance premiums at the moment. I have my own policy but am a named driver on another one. I think I may have got zapped by a camera in France although I have received nothing in the post yet. However, using one of the on-line websites, assuming 3 points and a £100 fine, my policy premium is unaffected but the other policy on which I am a named driver is increased by almost £30.

Where's the sense in that? I would have though both policies would have been affected, or neither.

Can anyone explain?
Insurance claim History - Markosoft
Re the OP - just because you were successful in claiming
against the other driver don't assume your premium won't be affected.
Do online quotes one with the accident declared and one without
and see what quotes you get.

I've just done exactly that with Directline.

quote with Accident - £293
quote without - £294

All other details identical.

This was the reason for my orignal question. Insurance companies appear to be a law unto themselves. For example according to the law, I have only 1 sp30 endorsement on my licence according to insurance companies I have 2. I could have my licensed "cleaned" and the insurance company would be non the wiser about the earlier conviction but are effectively still punishing me for it.

So, is the question they ask "have you made any claims on your insurance" or "Have you made any claims on any insurance" if the former then no I haven't but if the latter then yes I have.

Insurance claim History - Dalglish
..according to the law, I have only 1 sp30 endorsement on my licence according to insurance companies I
have 2. I could have my licensed "cleaned" and the insurance company would be non the wiser about the
earlier conviction but are effectively still punishing me for it.

i don't get that. insurance companies will usually ask about convictions or accidents in last "x" many years.
( x=3 or 5 years in most cases).

for example, take a look at
www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombuds...m

Insurance claim History - daveyjp
I think they decide prices by drawing bingo numbers. Renewal quote for old A3 arrives - slightly cheaper then last year. Ring to cancel and get a quote for the new A3. Quote for new car is £50 less than the renewal despite the new car being newer and in a higher insurance group.
Insurance claim History - DavidHM
I think what you mean by this is that an SP30 conviction

... counts for disqualification purposes for three years;
... stays recorded on the licence for four years;
... is not a spent conviction under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 until the fifth anniversary of conviction.

All three time periods are defined by the law and the insurance companies use the one most favourable/relevant to them, i.e., the length of time before the conviction is "spent."

If the conviction is over five years old then, under the RoOA then it simply didn't happen as far as the insurer is concerned and you don't have to declare it. Even if you did declare it, they couldn't quote you less favourable terms than if you had, and most online systems won't allow you to declare it.
Insurance claim History - PoloGirl
Yes, you do have to tell them, and yes, in my case even though I claimed on someone elses' insurance and costs were fully recovered, my insurance went up. The reason given being that "well you obviously are more of a risk because of the places you drive..." Hmmm

First Alternative only used to ask for three years' history instead of five, so I went with them because it meant I didn't have to declare a separate claim from (then) four years previously, which was bumping up my quote with everyone else.