write off advice - SteVee
My Mazda 6 is going to be a write off after an own fault accident.
What value should I pursue ? - the trade-in price, or the forecourt price of a replacement ?
The tax disc is just a few days old - can I remove it when I go and collect personal possessions from the car ?
write off advice - Falkirk Bairn
Insurance payout is to put you back in the same position as you were b4 the accident. i.e you should get enough to buy an identical car (less the excess). Take the RFL it is not part of the car.
write off advice - charlesb
Exactly. You should get enough, but do your homework. When my MkIII Golf was written off in 2001 the insurers offered me £6K. However I looked around and on several VW dealership websites, found identical cars, in mileage, model and registration year for £7k.

I haggled with the insurer and we agreed on £6.5k, but only once I had faxed through proof of the cars on offer. Their point was that I should expect to haggle with the dealer on price, and therefore they would not offer the full £7K

Look around for similar vehicles from reputable dealers (not private sale) and print off the ads from the internet, including full details and price. Use this as your bargaining tool.

Charles
-------------------
VW Bora (51) 2.0 SE
VW Touran (54) 1.9 TDI