Tax Disc Dilema - Fullchat
Couple of weeks ago I received my VEL renewal for 30th April. £195.00 for my anti social, gas guzzling , caravan towing 4X4. Filed it on the side on the "to do" file - not yet urgent, and forgot about it.
Today I went to do a bit of shopping and as I returned to the vehicle i glanced at my VEL. The expiry date was 31st March.
Oh golly gosh better get home and get it done on the tinterweb. Pulled out the reminder and yes it said it didn't want doing until the end of April nor can I re tax it until 15 days prior to the end of April.
Bought the car Good Frday last year (14th April) so I will have paid for the tax from the beginning of April.
Seem DVLA have given me an extra free month!! - well 2 weeks as they had a free fortnight out of me. Oh dear me what am I to do??? ;-)
--
Fullchat
Tax Disc Dilema - Hamsafar
What about if you check on their site...
www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/
Click Vehicle Enquiry.
Tax Disc Dilema - bell boy
i got a lot of tax discs at the local taxation office last year,one of them mine for 12 months.
Fortunately i paid by cheque.
The dvla website showed 6 months only.
I had to write a letter in with proof of tax disc the number etc before their site was updated.
Therefore you need to contact dvla or you may be fined.
DVLA states 'Licence Due to Expire'.

Good advice bell boy. I'll contact DVLA first thing.
--
Fullchat
Tax Disc Dilema - Dalglish
fullchat,
question is, as a police officer if you had faced this dilemma with a "customer" whose car was displaying an expired disc whereas the "customer" produced his reminder to prove to you that the tax was not yet due, would you or your colleagues booked him for failing to display tax disc?

(incidentally, afaik, dvla send out reminders just over two weeks before the tax needs renewing).

Tax Disc Dilema - jc2
"Failure to Display" is an absolute offence and is totally seperate from not having one;you are still liable for this offence even if it had fallen on the floor.
Tax Disc Dilema - RichardW
Fullchat is v v un likely to get stopped by a Traffic office for out of date VEL (even by himself!), and the ANPR will show it as taxed to the end of the month. I'd keep driving it - although using it for work might be pushing it!

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
"Failure to Display" is an absolute offence and is totally seperate from not having one;you are still liable for
this offence even if it had fallen on the floor.

>>

which i know. the question/dilemma i am posing for fullchat, as he is a police officer, is how he or his collegues would deal with someone who is displaying an expired disc (31 march) and is able to produce a letter from dvla stating that tax is not due for renewal for another 30 days? do they accept the motorist was acting honestly, tick him off gently and tell him to get it taxed pronto; or do they apply the absolute offence rule?

Tax Disc Dilema - defender
tax it online and the decision of when to tax it from will be made by the computer,no risk of fines if it lets you tax from march and if it doesnt let you tax till april then print the pages as proof that you couldnt tax it till then.
Tax Disc Dilema - Doc
which i know. the question/dilemma i am posing for fullchat, as
he is a police officer, is how he or his collegues
would deal with someone who is displaying an expired disc (31
march) and is able to produce a letter from dvla stating
that tax is not due for renewal for another 30 days?

The only "document" is the expired tax disc.
The letter from the DVLA is just a reminder and has no legal significance.

The only "document" is the expired tax disc. The letter from the DVLA is just a reminder and has no legal
significance.

that is what i said. i am asking fullchat (as a police officer) what he would do if he found a "customer" in that situation.
doc - since you have replied, i am assuming you are a police officer, so what would you do - penalise the "customer" or what?

"The only "document" is the expired tax disc.
The letter from the DVLA is just a reminder and has no legal significance."

Doc is right in what he says.

'Failing to display' is an absolute offence however it is many a year i9n my neck of the woods since anyone was prosecuted or even issued an FPT for the offence.

What would I do as a Police Officer??? Well if the driver showed me the DVLA reminder I would be scratching my head. I may complete a Form CLE 2/8 with the details seen and send it to DVLA and let them make the decision. I may be looking at the old tax disc very closely and be suspicious of the driver. But I can assure you in this case everything is in order. However clearly their database shows the vehicle to be taxed until the end of April and therefore they would not be taking any action.

It would be possible to suggest human error by an input clerk but as everything is now scanned in on the barcode it would have been updated electonically.

And yes someone in the company car park may spot that the VEL has expired and yes I could be asked to give an account to a boss. I would then be the 'customer'. Integrity and professionalism. A CLE 2/8 could be submitted by a colleague with the same result. NFA from DVLA - its taxed!

Only way I can see is to tax vehicle using one of those forms at the Post Office from the 1st April. Then I would have to declare that I had not driven the vehicle on the road until the day taxed which would be untrue. And if I stated I had driven it then would DVLA be looking into it? But their records would show it was already taxed!! It just gets complicated.

Suppose I could tax it on the 15th online and put the new one in the window when it arrives. Or I could use the motorbike or Mrs FC's car for a while.

Decisions decisions. The only thing thats black and white is the uniform!

--
Fullchat
Tax Disc Dilema - bell boy
Fullchat i didnt know or care (nicely) that you are in blue just that you are a caring member of society
did you ring dvla ?
they are open at 8,00 am before the ruling classes wake up
not worth getting done i feel
im in the same type of boat as i need trade plates therefore i need to keep squeeky cleen
Sorry bb It was a bit tounge in cheek when I said I would ring them first thing.
--
Fullchat
Well I taxed it today on the tinterweb and guess what!!!! Its a new tax year and has cost me an extra £10, after the budget increases, than it would have done had it been taxed at the end of March. Morally I think we are quits!
But then morals dont come into tax collection
--
Fullchat
Tax Disc Dilema - Westpig
In 26 years I have never known anyone get reported by a police officer for merely 'failing to display' or indeed anyone be prosecuted for it by DVLA ...... although as suggested above if an officer or traffic warden was unsure, they could submit the form CLE2/8 and then DVLA can consider it.

I have run my motorcycle now for over 5 years (and one before that for 3 years) with the tax disc kept in my m/c jacket pocket. The thinking behind it is that it won't get wet & become unreadable and if parked no oik can steal it.... I have never had any difficulties and wouldn't expect any...... and this includes a time i was stopped by traffic officers and warned for a minor offence

modern systems like ANPR show whether something is taxed or not.........and the bigger picture is whether or not you've got the tax, not if it's displayed .