Seat Leon SE TDi 110 BHP Misfire - Ricardo2007
I own a 2002 Seat Leon TDI SE 110BHP and have had it for several years. It has always been serviced at a main dealer and has been totally reliable.

It has now covered 117000 miles and Mass Air Sensor recently failed. I changed this part with a 3rd party replacement from GSF. The typical symptoms of loss of power, no turbo etc were corrected, but I have been left with an annoying misfire.

If I pull away from a junction and change into second I get a misfire between 1800 and 2000 rpm the engine/turbo makes an ?Err, Err, Err sound. After I pass 2000 rpm the car drives OK, if a little rough.

I have found if I start the engine and rev pass 2000 rpm the car will drive smother between this rev range.

I have changed the air filter, engine temperature sensor, fuel filter and the N75 valve. I have also run several tank fuels of fuel system cleaner through the engine. A Seat main dealer has also reset the ECU.

I would really appreciate any help with this problem.

Many thanks

Seat Leon SE TDi 110 BHP Misfire - Screwloose
Ricardo

Sorry to say; but I've never had any success with pattern/counterfeit MAFs. The real thing is surprisingly sophisticated; but it's easy and cheap to make a sort-of-similar copy.

Given that you can get the real thing from £40 [Ford Galaxy TDi] and the VAG one is only £70; I really can't see the attraction of the rubbish ones.
Hello

I have replaced the MAF with a genuine Bosh (refurb) sensor and the misfire has gone. But if I push the car in second or third gear 3-3500rpm I get a lot of smoke from the exhaust. On one occasion the ECU reduced power to the engine.

Mileage 116000

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Richard
Seat Leon SE TDi 110 BHP Misfire - mss1tw
Could be a dodgy turbo acutator arm? (I think that's the name - it's called an N75 or something like that). Someone will confirm!
Seat Leon SE TDi 110 BHP Misfire - David Horn
He's tried that, I think - mentions an N75 valve in the original post. Could you convince a dealer to fit a brand new valve so you can test if it solves the problem, perhaps under the agreement that if it works, you'll pay for it?
Seat Leon SE TDi 110 BHP Misfire - David Horn
Valve? I meant sensor! ;)
Seat Leon SE TDi 110 BHP Misfire - mss1tw
He's tried that, I think - mentions an N75 valve in
the original post

Doh!
Seat Leon SE TDi 110 BHP Misfire - George Porge
Boost leak?
Richard

A genuine Bosch refurb?? Where did that come from?
Seat Leon SE TDi 110 BHP Misfire - dieselhead
If the ECU reduced power (presume it went into limp home mode) it will have logged a fault code which needs reading. If it was smoking it could be low boost pressure ...i would check the hose to the turbo actuator isn't collapsed/leaking and the actuator is free to move between it's stops. I presume it's a PD engine with vnt turbo ?
Hello all thanks for all your replies so far.

It is not a PD engine.

The refurbished Bosh MAF came from GSF (German Swedish French - Car Parts) Portsmouth. It comes with a genuine Bosh refurbished sticker and one years guarantee. When replaced the performance was much better than before. I did notice I bit more smoke from the exhaust under load. When the car was warm I thought I would go through the full rev range. This is when the cars power dropped. I have changed the N75 valve but I could not find a supplier for the valve to the left (N18?).

Does any one know where I can purchase replacement braded rubber pipes? These are the pipes that run between the various valves.

Many thanks

Richard
I have just run VAG-COM on the car and have found and reset the follow fault code.

Chassis Type: 1M - Seat Leon
Scan: 01,02,03,08,15,17,19,22,35,46,56
-----------------------------------------------------------Address 01: Engine
Controller: 038 906 012 FK
Component: 1,9l R4 EDC 0000SG 3357
Coding: 00002
Shop #: WSC 06441
VSSZZZ1MZ2R084574 SEZ7Z0A1485086
2 Faults Found:
17965 - Charge Pressure Control: Positive Deviation
P1557 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17552 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P1144 - 35-00 - Please Register/Activate
Readiness: N/A

After resetting the fault code I took the car for a drive. It seems to drive a little better, but I think I may have heard a slight squeak when backing off the accelerator. It does not do this very often.

Any ideas?
Ricardo

17965 - overboost; common code, first check - every inch of those little vacuum hoses.

17552 - MAF sensor; open circuit.

See what comes back; bit timeshort - more later.

What's your engine code?