Misleading signals & Case law - Que
Hi everyone. I need some help.

Last year I was involved in a car accident that clearly was not my fault, but I have been told I may have to pay out because someone drove into me.

Briefly I was driving along a dual carriageway and as I passed a T-junction on my left (minor road entering a dual carriageway) the driver pulled out and drove into my N/S front wing. The driver said at the time he did not look as he thought I was turning left, as it appears that my left-hand indicator was on and had been on for more than 500 metres, unbeknown to me.

I accept that if he and a witness say my indicator was on then it was on. But the supposed left turn I was taking was more than 25 metres before this T-junction, which I have timed is 7 (seven) seconds away from the point of impact, travelling at the max speed for the road.

My insurance company have been offered a 2/3 ? 1/3 split in my favour stating case law in Wadsworth V Gillespie but I contend my circumstances are totally different if for no other reason that 7 seconds is too long a time not to again look right to check the situation. What if a motorcycle had legally come up on my right hand side to overtake had I actually been turning left, which I was not.

Does anyone know of any other case law that may help me in challenging this offer?
Misleading signals & Case law - Westpig
Good Heavens Above,

You're driving down a main road, with your indicator on........falsely showing that you might turn left...... misleading another driver.............caused an accident.........and now want to wriggle out of the responsibility?

Yes, the other driver needs to ensure you are doing what it looks like and yes people can fail to turn off their indicators........and yes takes some responsibility for the accident

but.......you need to take responsibility for YOUR mistake
Misleading signals & Case law - Bill Payer
In Wadsworth V Gillespie wasn't the motorcyclist who was indicating (on the main road) held to be two thirds responsible?

Rather than the junction 7 seconds away, couldn't the other driver have expected you to turn into the T junction he was coming out of?

If an imaginary motorcyclist had been ovetaking then he may well have hit the car pulling out, but he wasn't there so didn't.

Times must have changed though - my Dad had a crash just like this quite a few years ago (early 70's) where he pulled out - a woman driving on the main road actually started to turn and then straightened up when her friend reminded her that she was to drop her off first. My Dad's insurance paid in full and he felt he was lucky not to get done for careless driving. Being in uniform (fire brigade) at the time may have helped there.
That is a good, but teh T-Junction from which he was emerging was an exit only T-junction ie all left turns into the road can only be achieved via the slip road some 40 metres prior to the collision point.

And in response to the half wit who suggests I am trying to wriggle out of my responsibility I would say the other admitted not bothering to look to his right after the initial glance to which the police who attended the accident said "an indicator only proves one thing" - "Your bulb works!"

Misleading signals & Case law - Dalglish
... but I contend my circumstances are totally different ..

well if you feel that strongly that your case is different, then take it to court for us to have a new case law.

google for "Wadsworth v Gillespie" brings up honest-john's advice on this to a reader via his telegraph column.

Misleading signals & Case law - sine
Sorry i've not answered your question either.

As Bill said, could you not have turned into the T-junction the other driver was exiting?

Maybe the accident wasn't directly your fault but what you say suggests your actions were a contributing factor and therefore some of the responsibility surely rests on you
You should really know whether your indicator is on or not!
Misleading signals & Case law - Pezzer
Hmm, you are on the main road (and therefore have priority) and he pulled out on you. I was always taught that you do NOT pull out in front of someone just because they are indicating. How does anyone know that the indicator was on for 500m. It must be a very straight road and someone must have very good eyesight. Was it an independant witness ?

Could you not have been pulling over to the side of the road to read a map / take a call/ check a tyre especially as you had passed the possible exit ?

I'd be fighting it very hard. You had priority irrespective of the fact your indicator might have been on.

Good Luck P

Misleading signals & Case law - David Horn
I'm firmly on the side of Que here - just because someone has an indicator on does not give you an excuse to pull out in front of them, and I always wait to make sure they actually intend to turn or are noticeably slowing down before I pull out.
Misleading signals & Case law - Lud
I learned long ago to distrust the signals being made by approaching cars.

However, I don't think Que can claim not to be to blame. He or she made an incorrect signal. Que's fault, admitted as such.

Hope the damage wasn't too grave.
Misleading signals & Case law - George Porge
My father had a similar accident 6 years ago when a woman pulled out of a side road and hit the side of his car, the insurance co wrote to him as they have you, he declined one third responsability and got paid out in full.

You have the right of way.

You pull out of a side road if its safe to do so
Misleading signals & Case law - jc2
I always find it confusing when someone turns on their indicator several roads before the one they actually want to turn into.
Misleading signals & Case law - bathtub tom
Similar happened to SWMBO. Indicator failed to cancel after exiting roudabout, the road had a slight left hand curve. She T-boned car that turned right of junction. Other driver was held woolly responsible.
It seemed at the time that flashing indicators were just that, an indication, whereas a hand signal or old fashioned semaphore trafficators were binding.
Misleading signals & Case law - bathtub tom
Wooly? Should be wholly. I'm watching too much Shaun the sheep, BBC1 afternoons. Brilliant innit.
Misleading signals & Case law - L'escargot
The Highway Code says ............

86: You should also

~ watch out for signals given by other road users and proceed only when you are satisfied that it is safe
~ be aware that an indicator on another vehicle may not have been cancelled.

I think anyone who takes a flashing indicator as gospel is an idiot. Also, indicators have two modes ~ flashing and not flashing. If someones indicators are not flashing are you supposed to take it as gospel that they're not going to change direction?

If I was Que I would fight it tooth and nail.

--
L'escargot.
Misleading signals & Case law - NowWheels
I learned long ago to distrust the signals being made by approaching cars.

That was one of the first aspects of road safety dinned into me as a child, before I even got to the stage of cycling on the roads. Don't assume that an indicator means a car will turn, and don't assume that no indicator means no turn.
However, I don't think Que can claim not to be to blame.
He or she made an incorrect signal. Que's fault, admitted as such.

Exactly! Both drivers made a mistake: Que gave a misleading signal, and the other driver lazily relied on a signal. Shared responsibility seems fair to me.
Misleading signals & Case law - R75
There was a similar case to this a few years ago in Shinfield/Whitley, Reading, I remember at the time the car that pulled out had to take 100% of the blame - the reason being is that although the vehicle that hit them was indicating, it was just that, an indication, and as such could not be relied upon that that was actually his intention. The accident happened just off J11 of the M4. HTH.
Misleading signals & Case law - local yokel
I was taught from the outset only to take seriously an indication that I had seen from commencement. In this case a driver so briefed would have ignored the indicators on the approaching vehicle, as he would realise they were un-cancelled, rather than intentional.

My gut feel is that responsibility still rests with the driver on the minor road, who pulled out onto a road that was not clear.

Misleading signals & Case law - Hamsafar
I have paid more attention since seeing this thread as to what I do in the situation of the third party,
Even if a car is signalling, I only pull out if I deem I can accelerate out of their path or have some other 'out' in the event that they don't turn off before me.
In cities, I wait until I see their hands move on the wheel or them looking into the sideroad.
Misleading signals & Case law - component part
I am totally with the OP on this one-you should only pull out when safe to do so i.e. as Ashok says; when you see them make the turn or you pull out in such a fashion that it is safe regardless of whether they turn or not. I'd fight it 100%.
Misleading signals & Case law - local yokel
>have some other 'out' in the event that they don't turn off before me

And this is the point - the driver on the minor road was certainly not driving defensively. Once he pulled onto the major road he was unable to avoid the accident, as he had no other options. If he'd stayed put for the time it took the OP (and any further traffic) to pass he'd have been fine.
Misleading signals & Case law - NARU
Que - If you want to fight this then I'd advise looking in some of the motorcycling forums. Bike indicators are particularly easy to leave on (no self-cancel and no beeping/clicking sound to back up the warning on the dash). And bikers are more likely to be injured in the ensuing accident.

I think you'll find many of them that they have been held partially to blame, with the case you cite as the basis.
The driver said at the time he did not
look ............

Well, more fool him! Que should make a big issue out of this.
--
L\'escargot.
Misleading signals & Case law - Robbie
The Highway Code states the following:

146: Take extra care at junctions. You should

not assume, when waiting at a junction, that a vehicle coming from the right and signalling left will actually turn. Wait and make sure
Misleading signals & Case law - NowWheels
The Highway Code states the following:
146: Take extra care at junctions. You should
not assume, when waiting at a junction, that a vehicle coming from the
right and signalling left will actually turn. Wait and make sure

And it also says:

85: Signals warn and inform other road users, including pedestrians (see Signals to other road users section), of your intended actions. You should

* give clear signals in plenty of time, having checked it is not misleading to signal at that time
* use them, if necessary, before changing course or direction, stopping or moving off
* cancel them after use

So both drivers screwed up.

The introduction to the Highway Code says:

Many of the rules in the Code are legal requirements, and if you disobey these rules you are committing a criminal offence. You may be fined, given penalty points on your licence or be disqualified from driving. In the most serious cases you may be sent to prison. Such rules are identified by the use of the words MUST / MUST NOT. In addition the rule includes an abbreviated reference to the legislation which creates the offence. Abbreviation explanation.

Although failure to comply with the other rules of the Code will not, it itself, cause a person to be prosecuted, The Highway Code may be used in evidence in any court proceedings under Traffic Acts to establish liability.

When both drivers have failed to comply with the rules, it would seem odd not to have some sort of shared liability, but obviously that doesn't tell us what proportions of liability should be born by each side.
Misleading signals & Case law - Brian Tryzers
I think there's a lot of righteous indignation in this thread but not enough attention to the Case Law part of the title and some serious inconsistencies in Que's account.

> Briefly I was driving along a dual carriageway and as I passed a T-junction on my left (minor road entering a dual carriageway) the driver pulled out and drove into my N/S front wing. The driver said at the time he did not look as he thought I was turning left, as it appears that my left-hand indicator was on and had been on for more than 500 metres, unbeknown to me.

> The T-Junction from which he was emerging was an exit only T-junction ie all left turns into the road can only be achieved via the slip road some 40 metres prior to the collision point.

> But the supposed left turn I was taking was more than 25 metres before this T-junction, which I have timed is 7 (seven) seconds away from the point of impact, travelling at the max speed for the road.

This bit makes no sense to me. 25 metres in seven seconds is a speed of 8 (eight!) miles an hour. Even if the distance was 40 metres, that's only 13 mph.

According to what I can find on Wadsworth v Gillespie, this one looks exactly the same. In other words, provided that case hasn't been superseded, Que's case ought to be settled the same way - two-thirds against the driver who left an indicator on, so the one-third Que's been offered seems generous.

Wadsworth v Gillespie [1978]: the motorcyclist had made a turn but failed to cancel his indicator after completing the manoeuvre. The motorist at a junction saw the motorcyclist and assumed he was turning and accordingly pulled out. The court decided that the motorcyclist had to accept a large degree of responsibility and apportioned liability on the basis of two-thirds against the motorcyclist.
End quote

If there's a difference here, it's that the accident occurred on a dual carriageway, and that the driver who pulled out says he did so because he had seen Que's indicator earlier and assumed that it meant he would have turned off. But at a junction like that, where else would he be looking? There'd have been no traffic coming from his left. This may account for the pulling-out driver being held more liable than his counterpart in W v G.

And yet another thing bothers me - if the other driver really did have seven seconds, (a) he could have done more than look - he could have pulled out and completed the manoeuvre; and (b) Que would have had time to see him coming and take avoiding action if necessary. Since this didn't happen, I infer that there's something important missing from or wrong in Que's account.

All good points and I am trying to be as unbiased as possible.

The seven seconds has been timed and is the time form the last point of entry onto the left hand slip road and the point of impact. Due to the nature of the junction I was witnessed (truck behind me) as driving at between 10 and 12 MPH as there is a pedestian crossing on this junction as well. Hence the seven seconds.

I agree and have said as much that the other driver had plenty of time to pull out across to the central reservation and wait for a gap on the other side of the dual carriageway. He did not because we has not taking due care!

The insurance company for the otehr driver has offered 2/3 - 1/3 in my favour

But the most important difference here from W v G is that the other driver hit me on the Naer side ie unlike eth motorcyclist who hit the car emerging from the minor road.

The bottom line is the other driver was in a hurry to get to work and simply did not look to his right for a very long period, which in my opinion was reckless and had little to do with the signal that had accidentally been left on.

As an aside the police officer who attended and witnessed the collision said the other driver was totally at fault because we has not aware of the circumastances and that a bulb flashing proves one thing ie "The bulb works"

I have told my insurance company to put the offer "where the sun don't shine" metophorically speaking. Lets wait and see
Misleading signals & Case law - George Porge

My insurance company have been offered a 2/3 ? 1/3 split
in my favour stating case law in Wadsworth V Gillespie but
I contend my circumstances are totally different if for no other
reason that 7 seconds is too long a time not to
again look right to check the situation. What if a
motorcycle had legally come up on my right hand side to
overtake had I actually been turning left, which I was not.
Does anyone know of any other case law that may
help me in challenging this offer?

Its just an offer, reject it and request payment from the 3rd party in full including your policy excess.

I did this for my father and they paid up ;O)
Its just an offer, reject it and request payment from the 3rd party in full including your policy excess .

dox, you have got it.

the o.p. and others are getting distracted by details and speeds and distances and highway code etc.etc.

all that matters is, as the o.p. says " .. I was involved in a car accident that clearly was not my fault .."

end of.

Misleading signals & Case law - Brian Tryzers
I don't see it as being that clear, Dalglish - after all, there are strong similarities to the W v G case, in which the court decided liability should be apportioned 2:1. You could argue that both parties were driving without due care and attention, since one didn't know the indicator was flashing and the other apparently emerged from a junction without looking. I agree that one is more serious than the other, but both parties acted foolishly and it seems reasonable that the insurance settlement should reflect that.
I don't see it as being that clear, Dalglish

nor do i, on the basis of "distracting details" posted by the o.p.

however, he 100% believes he was not at fault at all. therefore hence case law is immaterial he has to stand by his belief to the end (and to court if necessary) to get his justice (and new case law if it rules 100% in his favour).

I was involved in a car accident that clearly was not
my fault .."

And the other driver concurred. "The driver said at the time he did not look ..........."
--
L\'escargot.
What legal standing does the use (or absence of use) of indicators have?
--
L\'escargot.

p.s. by the way, i rather suspect that, as happens with some new users of this site, the o.p. has entered the backroom, posted a question, then is likely to have made an exit immediately, never to return.

p.s. by the way, i rather suspect that, as happens with
some new users of this site, the o.p. has entered the
backroom, posted a question, then is likely to have made an
exit immediately, never to return.

As Manuel used to say to Basil and Sybil ................... "Que?"
--
L\'escargot.
Misleading signals & Case law - mss1tw
I don't think I'll bother indicating anymore as it seems to be fundamentally pointless.
Misleading signals & Case law - kithmo
I don't think I'll bother indicating anymore as it seems to
be fundamentally pointless.

a view shared by South Yorkshire police in Rotherham ;-)
and probably over 50% of motorists on the road (backroomers excepted of course) ;-)