New Hatch - Toyota Yaris? - Skymark
I have around 8.5 k to spend on a new hatch. Want something fun, reliable and not too embarrassing to drive :) What's a Toyota Yaris like?
New Hatch - Toyota Yaris? - retgwte
test drive a suzuki swift

or a kia

yaris is good, but not a clear winner
New Hatch - Toyota Yaris? - Avant
Elder daughter is on her second 1.3 Yaris - both have been excellent, fun to drive and totally reliable, touch wood. But list price is over £10,000, so you would need to get a good PCP deal as we did.

Try one, but also as suggested try the Swift. There has just been a long-term report in What Car and also a road test of the 1.5 GLX which is just under £9,000. Very good in town but buzzy on motorways apparently, so it depends on the type of use you'll put it to.
New Hatch - Toyota Yaris? - Skymark
Thanks - i've had a look at the Swift. Worried about the heavy depreciation though....Toyota's generally seem to keep their value I'm told.
New Hatch - Toyota Yaris? - Red Baron
If you are worried about depreciation, then I trust that you are not going to buy a brand new car, but rather a 6 - 12 month old car. At that age, 8.5k will get you quite a bit. I would opt for the Swift. The new model are not cheap in second-hand guise.
New Hatch - Toyota Yaris? - madf
I bought a second hand diesel Yaris. Depreciation after 12 months = £500.
Great to drive, easy to park, very economical and easy to enter /exit.

madf
New Hatch - Toyota Yaris? - Mad Maxy
Mitsubishi Colt?
New Hatch - Toyota Yaris? - Bill Payer
Just spent some time agonising over Yaris / Colt choice.

There are deals online (DrivetheDeal etc) where the Yaris T3 (T2 is entry level and you need T3 for a/c) is available with heavy discounts of about £2000 *if* you take the Toyota PCP. It was suggested to me by another supplier, that I could take the PCP and then immediately pay it off if I wanted to, with a negligible penalty.

There's also a special edition Yaris Zinc, based in the 1.3 T3, but including metallic paint and alloys. This lists at £10200, so is a fair bit cheaper than the standard 1.3 T3. I was offered this by online brokers for around £9300, so I daresay a dealer should be able to get reasonanly close to this (if they wanted to).

In the end we went for the Colt - I got a 1.1 5dr CZ1 (inc a/c) for £7500, which we'll collect on Thursday. It seems a lot of car for the money - similar in many ways to our Jazz. The 3 door Colts look better, and they're probably a bit stiffer and therefore better to drive. My local dealer has them (with a/c) for well under £7K. I'm still not sure I did the right thing though, but it was my daughters money and she didn't want to spend towards £10K.

I notice that the Yaris comes out of the new insurance groupings very well.
New Hatch - Toyota Yaris? - retgwte
re "had a look at the Swift. Worried about the heavy depreciation though..." old swift was bad for depreciation, new ones are a lot better

im thinking of downsizing the next time, and kia looks like a good option

Id even think about a Peroda myvi if there were a few more dealers
New Hatch - Toyota Yaris? - tack
You'll have no regrets with the Colt. Wife and daughter have one each. 1litre 3 cylinder 3 door jobbies. No rattles, no squeaks, thrummy and willing engine, bags of leg room front and rear. A lot less money than Yaris and better looking in my view, especially in three door format with dark grey metalic paint, colour coded bumpers and handles, alloys. As a bloke, I don't mind being seen in it!