Audi A4 heater - not much heat! - Jacqual
For no apparent reason and with no warning my heater (2000 Audi A4 Avant 2.4 petrol engine) was hardly working yesterday. The air-con aspect seems fine in so far as cold air can be produced, but even on a high heat only a little warm air was forthcoming - to be precise plenty of air flow but only a little heat. Engine water temperatures showed completely normal, header tank at correct level so nothing out of the ordinary. Any suggestions? Is there a motorised valve or flap probably at fault? Can I fix it myself or is it a dash out/small fortune job! Helpful advice would be appreciated.
Audi A4 heater - not much heat! - Screwloose
Jacqual

There is an air-mixing flap motor in the dash. The whole system can be checked and codes accessed through the diagnostic socket.

There is a small possibility that this is the beginning of a water pump impeller fault; so keep a close eye on that gauge.
I have arranged for a diagnostic check on Monday (will cost £30) but prior to that is there anything practical I can do just to make sure it is nothing simple like a loose connector/leaf debris jam etc?

On the subject of water impellor fault I have had that. I expect you are referring to that Audi design fault where an injection moulded impellor is attached to the shaft with insufficient knurling to ensure a good mechanical interface resulting in it coming loose, causing overheating and resulting in an expensive repair bill? (Just outside warranty of course). Please excuse the rant - it's a shame when an otherwise great car is let down by a simple mechanical weakness like that.
Audi A4 heater - not much heat! - Screwloose
Jacqual

You and 10,000 others! I've seen three cases in the last few weeks. Not just Audi-VW; BMW and others can also do it.

The Germans are now doing everything that they can to copy the BL disaster of the '70s. Can't cut wages; so make the parts for pennies and quickly throw away your reputation for quality....

[Who said that imitation was the sincerest form of flattery...]
Well today I had the diagnostic check, and no fault showed up . Also there is a bit more heat coming through now so maybe it is clearing itself? Doesn't seem to be a serious problem. Maybe it's leaf debris from the recent storms jamming the flap? Maybe slight clogging of the heater matrix? I'll keep a close eye on it.........