Pay as you go road tax - Is this a hoax? - Chris S
I've just received this email, am I right in thinking it's a hoax?

Subject: Road Tax... If you drive a car...read on.................!

Apparently there is only one month left to register your objection to the government's 'Pay as you Go' road tax.

This Petition is on the 10 Downing St website ( petitions.pm.gov.uk/traveltax/) but they didn't tell anybody about it! Therefore only 250,000 people have signed it so far -- and 750,000 signatures are required to stop them introducing it.

Once you've given your details (you don't have to give your full address,
just house number and postcode will do), they will send you an email with a
link in it. Once you click on that link, you'll have signed the petition.

Democracy in action? Read on, and see what will happen if this Petition fails !!

The government's proposal to introduce road pricing will mean you having to purchase a tracking device for your car and paying a monthly bill to use it. The tracking device will cost about £200 and in a recent study by the BBC, the lowest monthly bill was £28 for a rural florist and £194 for a delivery driver. A non working mother who uses her car to take the kids to school will pay an estimated £86 in one month !!
Is this a hoax? - Armitage Shanks {p}
No it isn't a hoax. They have very nearly got the target number of signatures but reaching the target is no guarantee that the legislation won't go thru. BTW, a house number and a postcode IS your full address! A postcode relates to, say, the even numbered houses in a given road so that code and a number finds you!
Is this a hoax? - Group B
Which bit do you think is a hoax? The petitions website says that over 841,000 people have signed it to date.
Is this a hoax? - Chris S
I thought it might be a phising scam to get people's contact details, then in a few months you're bombarded with spam and junk mail.
Is this a hoax? - henry k
See HJ original posting
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=47357
Is this a hoax? - Hamsafar
The foul government is simply collating a list of dissidents who will be hounded by Community Safety and Diversity Street Scene Harmony Enforcement Teams, once they have been set up.
Is this a hoax? - Xileno {P}
Not a hoax but pretty pointless. Government doesn't listen to petitions, if they did they we would never have gone into Iraq.
Is this a hoax? - Armitage Shanks {p}
ASHOK - Community Safety and Diversity Street Scene Harmony Enforcement Teams. You have got to get the words Coordination and Outreach in there somewhere, otherwise you are spot-on!
Is this a hoax? - stunorthants26
Lets hope that all those who object to it do so with their votes as hopefully this measure will not be implemented by the next general election - given they dont have much luck with new computer systems, lets hope they are thinking of a new and unreliable one :-)

Road pricing would either put me out of business or my charges would double to cover the travel costs. Not sure who exactly aside from the wealthy is willing to pay for all this.

I read in the paper that the government has dismissed the pettition, much like they do everything else.
Is this a hoax? - Big Bad Dave
You should all just leave
Is this a hoax? - nick
And go where?
You can all stay with me till you get sorted
Is this a hoax? - local yokel
If we all come to stay with you BBD, all the Poles will be in the UK and all the Brits will be in Poland.

A nice symmetry to it, I suppose.
Nice big warm house in romantic snowy setting, log fire and Sky TV. Plenty of room for everyone if we snuggle up. Bring a bottle.
Is this a hoax? - Dalglish
You can all stay with me till you get sorted

bbd - good idea. maybe even better if we can arrange to swap with all the people from your adopted country who have come here in their hundreds of thousands. (apparently 250,000 in under two years! - according to national insurance stats ).
When I got my Polish residency a year or so ago I was number...

... wait for it...

57 since they joinied the EU.

Seriously though I got offered a great career opportunity here and I just couldn't think of a good enough reason to stay in England. Having been shafted several times since then, I'd like to come back now please.