Motoring Tax Petition - Ruperts Trooper
I'll sign it.

Reduce motoring taxes, increase Income Tax to compensate, that'll suit me nicely!
Motoring Tax Petition - mike hannon
Well at least it would be honest...
Motoring Tax Petition - Stuartli
As this government takes not a blind bit of notice of what those who elected it (plus the rest of us) would like to happen, it really seems, on the surface, to be a pointless exercise.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Motoring Tax Petition - bell boy
whooha stuarti we agree...............
Motoring Tax Petition - Micky
Signed.
Motoring Tax Petition. Latest count - henry k
The count will pass 250K today

For the latest see
petitions.pm.gov.uk/traveltax/?signed=1

Deadline to sign up by: 20 February 2007

Keep spreading the word !

Motoring Tax Petition. Latest count - Robbie
I saw in today's Telegraph that Bliar is to press ahead with road pricing, despite the petition.

So much for the democratic process.
Motoring Tax Petition. Latest count - Dipstick
You could always go to:

www.tiny.cc/WnGQj

And type this or something like it. Focus his mind a tiny amount perhaps if lots of people did it.

Dear Tony,

Just to let you know I will categorically not be voting Labour next time based purely on your stance on road pricing.

Yours etc.

Motoring Tax Petition. Latest count - boxsterboy
I signed last year, but in a perverse way I'm glad he is ignoring it, because that means Road Pricing is highly likely to become Labours Poll Tax, and cause their demise. Not that the opposition (Conservatives) have any answer.

And they wonder why there is such voter apathy!
Motoring Tax Petition. Latest count - L'escargot
I saw in today's Telegraph that Bliar is to press ahead
with road pricing, despite the petition.
So much for the democratic process.

Once a political party has been given a majority mandate to govern the country then surely they should be allowed to do so without receiving any petty whingeing?
--
L\'escargot.
Motoring Tax Petition. Latest count - cheddar
Once a political party has been given a majority mandate to
govern the country then surely they should be allowed to do
so without receiving any petty whingeing?
--
L\'escargot.

>>

So was road pricing in their last manifesto?
Motoring Tax Petition. Latest count - cockle {P}
It must still be growing at quite a rate.
I've just signed and the front page only lists the last 500 to sign, by the time I'd confirmed and viewed the list I was about 30 from the bottom of the 500!
Refreshed again and I was off the bottom!!!!
It must still be growing at quite a rate.

>>
Over 60K in the last 24 hours
Motoring Tax Petition. Latest count - Zippy123
I think the tracking issue is the main problem, I would not mind paying a toll to use a major road or motorway, as one does in France but I don't want a busybody asking or knowing what I was doing in Surrey at 9 pm on a Friday night. I do not have anything to hide, but its my business and not anyone elses!

Signed
Motoring Tax Petition. Latest count - ukbeefy
I think road pricing is highly likely to be implemented eventually at least on major routes.

There are a series of interesting articles and surveys of real people on the IPPR website.

www.ippr.org/publicationsandreports/publication.as...5

What is interesting is there is more support than you think but a huge way still to go to get the idea wholeheartedly supported. Ultimately it seems to be one of trust or lack of it. Few people trust the Govt to implement a revenue neutral system or even get the system up and running without glitches or a feeling that some are getting away without paying.

I hope eventually it will be up and running as although I contribute to this site and enjoy talking about cars and their wider impact, I don't drive a car, use public transport every day and obviously don't do very long distance commuting unlike some on this site and out in the outside world. I think ultimately changing the relative cost of motoring vs other modes and vs homeworking/better home/work location via road charging would ultimately improve things on a number of fronts and encourage fewer car miles while not reducing car ownership necessarily. Hopefully we would move to less long distance car commuting dependent culture as I have observed on the continent.

(Runs for cover...)
Motoring Tax Petition. Latest count - teabelly
The ippr will cherry pick the people to get the results they want if they are anything like other market research people. Questions are geared towards answers they want and make it harder for people to disagree with a principle as they make it seem more appealing eg they say it will be tag & beacon and only cost 5 p a mile. Most people wouldn't object. If you say it is going to be full on busy body tracking and it will cost £1 a mile 99% of motorists will tell them where to stick their plan. Usual trick of appearing to be reasonable but upping the anti at the last minute. They also do it the other way round by suggesting the more outrageous ideas and seeing what the reaction is.

The current situation is a direct result of govt intervention and failed planning. They should be sorting out the root causes not penalising people for trying to make a living. Currently many people are beginning to see the folly of work as you just have so much hard earned removed from you with little to show for it. Once people decide to quit work and live on the dole or in the black economy then the UK is up the spout. People are already choosing to do this by having buy to let properties and renovations instead of doing a normal job. If you can make a year's salary in 3 months why work for 12 months a year for an employer producing something or offering something when you can play the over inflated property market?
teabelly
Motoring Tax Petition. Latest count - madf
What our sear gov't does not say but should is:

Wars cost money. A LOT.We're fighting two at once. So we tax everything that moves.

All the rest is lies and spin (i.e. normal)

madf
Motoring Tax Petition. Latest count - boxsterboy
I think road pricing is highly likely to be implemented eventually
at least on major routes.

I hope eventually it will be up and running as although
I contribute to this site and enjoy talking about cars and
their wider impact, I don't drive a car, use public transport
every day and obviously don't do very long distance commuting unlike
some on this site and out in the outside world. I
think ultimately changing the relative cost of motoring vs other modes
and vs homeworking/better home/work location via road charging would ultimately improve
things on a number of fronts and encourage fewer car miles
while not reducing car ownership necessarily. Hopefully we would move to
less long distance car commuting dependent culture as I have observed
on the continent.
(Runs for cover...)

I think you've got a point here, but the problem is that it is far too complex to be 'solved' by road pricing.

Most people commute long distances because they can't afford to live near where they work, especially in London and South East (e.g. firemen commuting from Lincolnshire to London and sleeping in the fire station between shifts). The real problem is that we are over-crowded (and becomming more so) in the south-east. If we are to be able to afford to live close to where we work, there would have to be massive housebuilding on non-existent land. Overnight. It just ain't gonna happen. France and Germany are far less crowded, housing is generally more affordable and so people don't commute so far.

Planning decisions have led to office, industrial, retail and housing developments to be built out-of-town with very little or no serious public transport.

I'm sure that those very few people who are fortunate to earn enough to live and work in London can see the 'benefits' of road pricing, but when 90% of all journeys (IIRC) are made by road, road pricing will have a massive impact on the vast majority of the population and the cost of all those home deliveries. The economy would surely just bgrind to a halt.
Motoring Tax Petition. Latest count - 10 Jags
If you want to know where all the money from RFL goes, and gets wasted, then goto here.

burningourmoney.blogspot.com/

Toodle Pip
Motoring Tax Petition. Latest count - Mattster
We have all known for years that the source of taxes and where they are spent do not match up. Live with it - that's a modern economy. Complaints of 'extra' taxes 'lining the Chancellor's coffers' are also silly. He has to get the money from somewhere - raise one tax and another is relieved. By all means object to the overall level of taxation if you wish.

The question is - should motoring be curbed? Much as I enjoy it - yes it should. It pollutes and the roads are too crowded. How to do it? Either pass laws to ban certain motoring or tax it more to discourage it. Which would you prefer?
--
Mattster
Boycott shoddy build and reliability.
Motoring Tax Petition. Latest count - The Lawman
"raise one tax and another is relieved"

Oh really Mattster? Do you seriously believe that?

If it were true then the tax take, expressed as a percentage of gross domestic turnover, would be unchanged over time. Instead, it is creeping steadily upwards.

Expecting a politician to cut taxes is like expecting a thief to creep up on himself and steal his own wallet.

i object to road pricing for many reasons (including the big brother element) but my main objection is that there will be no (or no serious) reduction of other taxes (motoring or otherwise) to offset it. The state will then just be gulping down an ever larger slice of my pay packet to feed an ever larger army of civil servants.

It continues to amaze me that people are talking about this in terms of the effect it will have on the environment/congestion etc. That's falling hook line and sinker for the governments spin.
Motoring Tax Petition. Latest count - Xileno {P}
"The state will then just be gulping down an ever larger slice of my pay packet to feed an ever larger army of civil servants."

Always good to see the CS getting the blame. However the facts don't stack up:

Civil service numbers crossed the half a million mark in the Second World War, and peaked at over one million, or around 4 per cent of all jobs, in the 1960s. Even in the mid 1970s civil service numbers stood at nearly three quarters of a million. At that time, civil service jobs accounted for 2.8 per cent of total jobs in the economy. They have generally been on a downward trend since. Ten years ago, just 1.9 per cent of British jobs were in the civil service. Now it is 1.8 per cent.

In the past twelve months, civil service staff numbers have fallen by 14,000, or more than 2 per cent. With the continual outsourcing of services such as IT to the likes of EDS, this trend can only continue.

You don't have to look to far to see why the tax take is constantly rising. I would like to know how the Government can justify an annual IT budget of £12bn. And the amount of money our occupation of Iraq is costing is eye-watering. I hope we don't ever have to help the Americans with anything in the future, the way our Navy's going I expect all we will be able to provide is a rubber dinghy...

And yes, I agree with the petition and will be adding my name.
>> It must still be growing at quite a rate.
>>

Just passed 333,333
Motoring Tax Petition. Latest count - Xileno {P}
Best to just kick the man out at the next election.
Now passed 500,000
Motoring Tax Petition. Latest count - Vin {P}
And the counter petition supporting tracking has now reached a massive....93...signatures.

V
Motoring Tax Petition - Alebear
Signed. Thanks for bringing this petition to our attention HJ....I wasn't aware of this site before.
Motoring Tax Petition - Hamsafar
Wealth of most of the west is now debt-generated rather than income-generated.
The government needs to find other ways of robbing us, as everything goes to pot.
This talks about USA but is true for us too I think...
www.financialsense.com/fsu/editorials/mchugh/2007/...l
Motoring Tax Petition - scruffythedog118
SIGNED.........