American rental: but what? - Tim Allcott
Having done the great American road trip last Easter with just the two of us and a Mustang convertible, the rest of the family want to come this Easter. That's the boys (two of them both 6ft+) and Grandma who, fortunately, is petite. I really don't want a huge 4x4 with 3 rows of seats; Do people think we'd all fit in a Dodge Magnum? Bear in mind we did 800 miles in a week last year... If not the Magnum, what else would fit the bill? Hertz at SFO were very good at giving me exactly the car I'd asked for, and, if you check out the "vehicles available at this location" option on the left hand side bar, you can discover exactly what they have available. Any thoughts? (and please don't suggest the Shelby mustang and leaving the others at home... I've already spotted that one)
Tim{P}
American rental: but what? - Kevin
Your problem will probably be luggage space unless you get an MPV.

Why not hire two cars?

Kevin...
Would need two drivers. Wife tried last year and wasn't comfy; don't know why, she manages in France O.K., including in LHD vehicles. Grandma can drive, but the concept of 4 way stops and right turn on red is difficult to learn at 75 ! also a case of mitigating cost: I really don't want a hyundai, when in Rome sub compacts really don't cut it on the Freeway....
Tim{P}
American rental: but what? - Murphy The Cat
Hi Tim

good news & bad news.

The good news is that the Maggie is the Estate version of the Chrysler 300C so it will be truly massive inside, with lots of luggage space as well.

The bad news is that the Maggie is RWD and I don't know how comft granny will be sitting on a transmission tunnel, with her back against the armrest for 800 miles in one week.

When I was in Florida last Novemeber i got a Chrysler Pacifica which might fit your bill. You can use it as a 4, 5 or 6 seater, with the seats rolling backwards/forwards for extra legroom or luggage room.. One good piece of advice is to take soft bags for your luggage rather than hard bags, it will make packing your car (whatever car) a lot, lot easier.
Here's a link to the Pacifica for you. www.chrysler.com/pacifica/. If you think of the Pacifica on the lines of a bigger version of the Zafira (with more powerand a lot more stylish) you'll be on the right track .
MTC
American rental: but what? - henry k
Your problem will probably be luggage space unless you get an MPV.
I agree. Been in that situation twice.

1. I bought a nice set of Delsey hard cases.for us and the big kids. I had to upgrade to the very largest non MPV available and only just got them in.

2. I hired the largest non MPV at JFK and we collected two friends with lots of baggage ( un viewed) in upstate NYC.
This time we used a carefully packed holdall ( with some bags for life) to go with the Delsey.
This time we could quickly swop things from the holdall ( reducing its bulk) into bags for life and so use the boot space more efficiently.
I guess you could not repack Grandmas bits in the carpark ;-)
>I don't know how comft granny will be sitting on a transmission tunnel..

Nor how bored she would be, not being able to see any of the passing scenery.

The only sensible option is an MPV in 5-seat configuration and they are pretty much perfect for a touring holiday. Easy to drive, good visibility and very comfortable, especially for older folks who prefer a more upright seating position. Just make sure that she keeps track of which cup-holder she put her tea in ;-)

Don't leave luggage in the back overnight if you're in an urban area.

Kevin...

PS.

If you haven't booked your tickets yet, consider flying into Las Vegas. You can often get good flight-plus-hotel deals much cheaper than flights to SF. Mid-week hotel prices are dirt cheap in Vegas and hire car rates are about half what you will pay at SFO. Spend a couple of nights in Vegas and treat Grandma to a flight over Grand Canyon. You can then drive from Vegas, up through Death Valley and then over the Sierras to the Pacific coast.
American rental: but what? - rtj70
Quite a few years ago (but still relevant) family wedding near San Francisco - my brother lives there.

My mum, partner and uncle/aunt were attending with plans to travel on. Hire car my uncle booked was some sort of 4-seat Coupe. Needless to say my brother knew immediately it would be a problem for the trip through CA to follow the wedding. But for a few days it would suffice.

We picked up the luggage with my now sister-in-law in the MPV and also my mum and her partner so no issue at the airport. But the fun began trying to get my uncle to accept the coupe was too small!

We brought all the cases out of brother's house and failed early on (as expected). Solution was an upgrade to MPV a few days later when space needed.

This was a trip for 4 adults and luggage. Only car suitable at the time was an MPV - my uncle looked at other cars but not big enough for luggage. It was the luggage that was the problem as I travelled with the 4 of them into SF five-up no problems with the roomy (for passengers) coupe.... This might have changed now but for 5 passengers you need a big car. And as another poster said, what about passengers in the rear having a view out of the car.

American rental: but what? - cheddar
Had a Grand Cherokee on hire over there a year or so ago, loads of rear leg room and a good boot.
Another thought that I've had is that the 'boot' space in a Maggie is only a little bit more than a 300C saloon - you need the seats down to really unleash all of that extra space.

MTC
Thanks everyone for the thoughts. Yep. already twigged about soft luggage: that was useful last year in the Mustang! Thanks M. the Pacifica does look good. With thought we ought to be able to get away with 3 soft bags. Which company had the Pacifica on its' fleet? One potential problem is that when doing a road trip one has to carry all worldy possesions with you which would suggest a boot would be better. I do like the idea of the 6 individual seats, tho'.
Kevin: unfortunately, flights booked to SFO, but luggage will be joining us in hotels overnight.
Anyone had a GMC Yukon or Ford equivalent? I wouldn't expect much driving pleasure, though! We are thinking of going back to Yosemite, so 4WD might be a bonus; last year there was a lot of snow either side of the road on the way into the valley, but none on the tarmac. Is it possible to get chains to fit a large 4WD?
Tim{P}
American rental: but what? - cheddar
Alamo have Pacificas and Grand Cherokees, the latter is of course 4x4 with M&S type tyres, it was very reassuring for us driving through the path of Hurricane Ophelia.
Hi Tim

Cheddar is right that Alamo have the Pacifica.

I don't know if it is Alamo policy everywhere (but it would be good if it was), but at Tampa, all Alamo cars were parked up by category, and you chose the car that you wanted. The Pacifica was a 'luxury' class car, but I could have chosen a Cadillac Sedan or a Buick Sedan if I had wanted to - but the Pacifica fitted my bill perfectly.
IIRC, the Maggie was in the' Full Size' section, but only had the 3.5lt V6. It it had been kitted out with the HEMI, I would have taken that one !
MTC
American rental: but what? - helicopter
I hired a Cadillac Sedan for four of us and luggage from via a UK company from Alamo last year in Atlanta -

Cardew gave us the details but I cannot remember the name of the UK company offhand.

Luxury motoring , acres of room- you could fit a Ford Ka in the boot.

It cost around £205 per week , including all insurances and three drivers.
American rental: but what? - helicopter
And yes - at Atlanta the Alamo cars are parked in their compound by class so it seems to be their policy to let you decide.

I had my choice of a dozen luxury motors. I am over 6 ft and pushing 17 stone but when sat in the back with SWMBO would have been plenty of room for another in the middle.
A friend in Texas has a GMC Yukon and I really like it. It has the three-row seat option which takes six people in comfort, eight at a push. It should also take three hockey bags without any trouble.

A local dealer has one for sale of their website:

www.sovereigncarsales.co.uk/American_Gridpos3.aspx

Pity about the wheels on that one.

The last time we visited Yosemite (I'm an Ansel Adams fan) we stayed in a decent motel just outside the southern entrance that had a brilliant feature in the bar area. In the centre of the lounge was a fireplace that consisted of a pool of water about 4ft x 4ft square and 18 inches deep. Under the water were a series of little nozzles. At random intervals a nozzle would release a bubble of gas that rose to the top and was ignited by flickering pilot light. Hard to describe but fascinating and very relaxing to watch.

Kevin...
Thanks for the info Kevin. Have you driven the Yukon? presumably it's similar to driving a transit (but not as tall) you don't have the name of that Motel do you?
Tim{P}
American rental: but what? - nortones2
Sounds like bathtime.....
Yup, I drove his Yukon a couple of times.

It drives like the pickup truck it is based on, but that isn't a bad thing and the ride is actually quite good on smooth US roads. Very easy to drive once you get used to it's size and the usual 4x4 turning circle.

Not as easy as an MPV for Grandma to get in or out but certainly worth considering if you want something memorable for the photo album.

I'm pretty sure that the motel was the Best Western Yosemite Gateway.

Kevin...