renault 21 2.0 gtx - Chris Tucker
any ideas?
have run the above for 6years and 100 000k (add 97 000k when bought) no major problems (capably of own maint which keeps cost down) until recently.
car now struggles to start. every 3 weeks i clean: 1) the crankshaft sensor 2) the inside of the distributor cap (ingress of oil form camshaft) 3) the rotar arm. all ok for a bit then back to 1,2,3. immediatly after 1,2,3 engine starting and choke impeccable. made the classic mistake of off loading to a work mate (bought a nice nissan primera from motorpoint) who has inherited the problems (though fully aware of!) and i would like to help (could have sold to over a dozen anonymous punters but w/mate had first call) any thoughts out there would be appreciated.
ta
chris
Re: renault 21 2.0 gtx - David Davies
I suggest you renew the sensor,cap and rotor instead of just cleaning,also its not expensive or difficult to replace the cam oil seal to stop oil misting inside distributor cap. The other very common problem on all high mileage Renaults is a poor condition coolant temperature sensor. Well worth renewing and easy to get at on the RHS of cylinder head at front. If the coolant is a dirty rusty colour then flush out and renew this too.
Re: renault 21 2.0 gtx - David W
Good advice from David. This oil mist in the dist cap is well known and can lead to excessive contact burning so I would renew them too. Ideally do the oil seal but consider first if this is a problemm with excess cranckcase pressure due to blocked breathers.

The other possible problem is with the "ECU", particularly if you have that weird one that looks like part of a 1960s radio.

Good luck.

David