Computer Related Questions - Volume 113 - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 114 *****

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 113. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Broadband line speed - maz64
Hi- due to the distance from my exchange, until recently I have only been able to get broadband at 512kb over our BT line. However, the BT website line tester now says we can get 'up to 3Mb'.

I emailed my provider, Tiscali, requesting an upgrade to their 2Mb package, but they replied that 512kb is the maximum my line can support. I asked them to double check, and they still say 512 is the limit.

I have just spoken to a BT broadband technical person, with a view to switching to BT if he could guarantee that my line could support 2Mb. He did a test which backed up the website's claim of up to 3Mb, adding that BT are able to boost or 'max' the signal to provide a higher speed than other providers.

This is news to me- anyone else heard of it? I wouldn't might switching to BT if it wasn't for the fact that Tiscali (who have been ok) do 2Mb unlimited for £15 whereas BT is £18 with limited downloads.

John
Broadband line speed - Altea Ego
Well put it like this.

Tiscali and BT are using exactly the same telephone line, and exactly the same equipment at the exchange. In fact Tiscali are leasing the broadband service from BT (wholesale) and in turn selling it to you. Legally BT are not exlusively allowed to sell you technologically superior line or exchange equipment than they supply to Tiscali.

The chances are you would end up with a 2 or 3mb ADSL that is suffering severe disconects.

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Broadband line speed - cockle {P}
Tiscali and BT are using exactly the same telephone line, and
exactly the same equipment at the exchange.

They will indeed use the same line from the exchange, but not necessarily the same equipment at the exchange. In these days of Local Loop Unbundling (LLU) a large, and rapidly growing, number of service providers now provide their own ADSL equipment in the BT exchange.

Legally BT are not exlusively allowed to sell
you technologically superior line or exchange equipment than they supply to
Tiscali.

True in that BT Wholesale have to offer the same product at a wholesale rate to both BT Retail and Tiscali, doesn't necessarily mean that Tiscali will choose to take up and market a product that BT Retail decide to take up and market, particularly if the only way they can provide that product is to buy in a BT Wholesale product in an exchange where they have their own kit to provide the other products that they are offering, it may not make commercial sense for them to do so at present.
Sky are doing a similar thing at the moment with their free BB offer, the free BB service is only available at exchanges where they have installed their own ADSL kit and can therefore use LLU to serve their customers, at all other sites they have to use the BT Wholesale wholesale offering and thus charge a monthly fee.

BB is now a very cuthroat business and all providers are squeezing their margins to the limit and making very hard headed commercial decisions.
Some service providers will inevitably cease to be over the next few years, Bulldog, (C&W), have already cut their losses and decided to pull out of the domestic retail market to concentrate on being a network provider for others in competiton to BT Wholesale.
It's going to get very interesting over the next couple of years and I think we are not far away from the scenario where content and reliability will start to decide which provider you use rather than speed as with newer technologies such as ADSL2+ coming onstream the reach will improve, just as it has since the days when we thought a 9.6Kb modem was fast and 56Kb was obscenely quick!
Cockle
Broadband line speed - Altea Ego
They will indeed use the same line from the exchange, but not necessarily the same equipment at the exchange. In these days of Local Loop Unbundling (LLU) a large, and rapidly growing, number of service providers now provide their own ADSL equipment in the BT exchange.

Tiscali have unbundled approx 250 exchanges in a year, leaves approx 4750 still using the BT wholesale DSLAM, so thats 16 years at the current rate!

>9.6Kb modem was fast and 56Kb was obscenely quick!

Pah - I stated with a 1200/75 assymetric (thats 1.2k bytes down and 75bytes up)

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Broadband line speed - pmh
And I thought that you were old enough to remember Datel 200 modems (BT Type 2A? plastic monsters, about the size of a desktop PC) supporting 110 bit/s teletypes. Although in theory they could just about work at 300 bit/s full duplex if you could afford the terminals to connect.

But since you are a Big Blue man didnt you have something at 134.5???bit/s for your polled terminals?

The memory is fading fast!
--

pmh (was peter)

Broadband line speed - Stuartli
>>Sky are doing a similar thing at the moment with their free BB offer, the free BB service is only available at exchanges where they have installed their own ADSL kit >>

Sky bought up EasyNet about a year ago as part of future plans. However EasyNet's network means that it can only serve about a third of the potential Sky customers at present.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
>>exactly the same equipment at the exchange.>>

Tiscali does now have its own LLU equipment in many exchanges - I never got to experience it as I got so frustrated, like so many others, with the ISP.
Broadband line speed - smokescreen
What the "BT Sales person" suggested is anti-competitive and also very unlikely from a techinical stand as it would break regulations. As for Tiscali, many other providers would be an improvement (!) compared to their own services.
Broadband line speed - local yokel
Adaptive rate DSL (which is what is being described) is causing some customers huge problems, as the system keeps adjusting the connection speed and re-setting as it does so. Some people find it's re-setting every few minutes.

I'd ask around with neighbours if you have any (you might be in a deeply rural area with only wildlife for neighbours) and learn from their experience first of all.

tinyurl.com/uh3t5 explains it quite well.
Broadband line speed - SjB {P}
tinyurl.com/uh3t5 explains it quite well.

From which, "Max is much more susceptible to poor quality filters, long phone extension cables and electrical interference, where a previous lower broadband speed might have been more tolerant. To help prevent problems you should try to ensure that anything within your control - your ADSL hardware, internal wiring, filters, etc. is set up correctly. Upwards of a third of faults raised to our technical team about Max are issues relating to these issues and not within our control."

Indeed so; After the initial disconnects whilst the limit of my line was assessed, I had a continuing problem that turned out to be caused by a poor connection on an internal extension. Easy to describe, not so easy to deduce. I still then had very occasional disconnects until I replaced the microfilters on each extension around the house with a single new BT master socket with built in filter to which the ADSL wireless router directly plugs.

Since then I have continued to have 8Mbps downstream and 448kbps upstream from BT Total Broadband but now without a single disconnection. I'm therefore a happy customer who gets what he pays for, but it took some "getting there" issues along the way.
until I replaced the microfilters on each extension around the house with a single new BT master socket with built in filter to which the ADSL wireless router directly plugs.

An NTE5 replacement faceplate with built in splitter that replaces the lower half of the master socket, to be more precise.
Not purchased from, but looks like; www.telephonesuk.co.uk/images/ADSL_skt.jpg
>>Not purchased from, but looks like>>

...or www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm#NTE5
Thanks for your replies.

Looking at the results of the www.samknows.com line tester, it says 'According to BT Wholesale, your line should be able to support a 3Mbps or greater ADSL connection via ADSL Max' and 'Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL Max services'. I notice that Tiscali offer a (more expensive) 'Max' package.

Do you think that the provider has to pay more to BT to use the 'max' equipment, so Tiscali can't offer the 2Mb on the 'normal' equipment which they currently use to provide my service?
Do you think that the provider has to pay more to
BT to use the 'max' equipment, so Tiscali can't offer the
2Mb on the 'normal' equipment which they currently use to provide
my service?

Nope, for the anti-competitive reasons given. I would guess that Tiscali is simply being more conservative in approach (ie not risking that you will get a lower service than you think you've paid for)
Right- sorry, our replies crossed. Thanks for the Max info- I guess BT are talking about Max speeds, while Tiscali are talking 'normal' speeds. I'm actually in Reading, not exactly out in the sticks, but apparently not near enought to an exchange to get decent speeds.

I'll probably stick with the 512 for the moment, as it's reliable, and cheap at £9.99 for 'unlimited' usage.

Cheers
John
Broadband line speed - cheddar
Just scanned this thread not read in detail so apologies if info is repeated, it is with going to MAX-dsl even if there is little prospect of 8Mb speeds on your line because 1/ it is rate adaptive and will offer the best possible speeds for the line conditions (after a period of settling down) and 2/ it offers nearly twice the upload speeds, ADSL is 256Kb, MAX-dsl is 448 Kb.

Worth looking at Plusnet, very comprehensive and competitive BB service plus a great deal on both land line and VOIP phone calls.
Worth looking at Plusnet, very comprehensive and competitive BB service plus
a great deal on both land line and VOIP phone calls.

Thanks cheddar- I was with Plusnet for a few years before Tiscali, switching when their £15 unlimited service became limited. Tiscali also dropped the price to £10 because I can only get 512 using the 'normal' method. I might have been lucky but didn't notice any deterioration in service after switching.

However, if I do decide to try out a Max package, it will probably be between Plusnet's limited £15 Plus package (4Gb at peak times = 4-12pm, 50Gb off-peak) and Tiscali's 'unlimited' £18 package. 4Gb is probably enough, apart from when I re-install Windows and download all the updates :-)

We don't use the phone enough for included call deals to offer much of an incentive.

John
Broadband line speed - adverse camber
I moved away from plusnet late last year. Have a good look on their forums to see if they have sorted out the dire reliability and support issues. they seemed to have email and dns servers down more often than up - I think they grew too fast and had too many p2p bods hitting the network as well.

When it comes to adsl, Max is adaptive and as people have described there can be issues - but the fixed speed stuff can be provided at different speeds, 512, 1meg or 2meg. I always thought that this was different cards in the exchange, but for all I know it might be software selectable.

Do tiscali make a charge for changing products ? (I know my isp only charge for a change between a home and business product you can change speeds up or down as you like within those product lines) Can you go onto max - or the 1mb or 2mb products and then move back if there are issues or would that incur costs to you?

The other thing of course is the capabilities of your router/modem - some dont handle higher speeds.
I have been with Plusnet four three years, exemplary service.

Their 2 Gb limit PAYG service is very comprehensive, even more comprehensive than their 2Gb Plus service and an extra 2Gb / month is only £1.50 on, guess what, a pay-as-you-go basis so 4Gb is £16.50, 6Gb £18.00 etc though only £15 in the months you dont use more than 2Gb.

I moved away from Tiscali a few years ago, I hear horror stories about the cust service these days.
Broadband line speed - L'escargot
I have Orange ADSL which claims to be 2 Mbps. If I "point" at the icon on the taskbar which looks like two monitors it says 2.2 Mbps. Is this what I'm actually getting, and if not how can I find out my actual speed?
--
L\'escargot.
Try this:

www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html
Broadband line speed - IanJohnson
There are several issues which will affect broadband speed and what Tiscali will offer you;

Line (Copper pair) has been covered above

Exchange equipment (The DSLAM) is either rented from BT or Tiscali's own.
This will be the same as BT (although BT have several standards) and Tiscali may not want to pay the higher price for a faster linecard slot from BT. Tiscali will only have their own equipment where there are sufficient Tiscali customers on your exchange to justify Tiscali investing in a DSLAM - they will want several hundred customers on your exchange before they do this.

Backhaul from the exchange to the ISP - either bandwidth rented from BT by Tiscali or Tiscali's own wire (probably fibre).
This has actually been the limit to broadband speed for the last couple of years (as BT have increased the capacity of their network). Imagine building a telephone exchange with links out sized for 5kb/sec voice links (this is contended so not the sum of all the possible lines but a fraction of the sum). You then start hanging 56k modems on a few of the lines and backhaul volume stats to rise. When the 56kb modems become more common and then become 500kb rising to 2Mb and 8MB the capacity needed out from the exchange to the ISP rises exponentially (imagine traffic on the M25 increasing by a factor of 10 every six months). Tiscali may not have enough backhaul capacity to let you have a faster line without affecting the service they offer to others on your exchange.
The 2.2Mbps merely indicates the maximum speed of which your line is capable. For a good speed test website go to:

www.thinkbroadband.com/ (you don't need to register to use the Speed Test).

It's the former ADSLguide. org. uk website brought up to date.
www.thinkbroadband.com/

Interesting; running this test I get 2.2Mb down and 336kb up. Running another test (a .exe installed on my laptop that also sends and receives ever larger packets of data and displays results for UDP and TCP) I get 8Mb down and 448kb up, which is also what my router says I'm getting.
Your router, and therefore it seems your .exe, will report the line sync speed which is very different from the actual speed, my line syncs at 6848 Kpbs though the actual speed varies between 3000 and 6000 due to the MAX-dsl rate adaptive technology.
>>Interesting; running this test>>

I have a (wired) modem router and 2MB TalkTalk broadband. Average consistent download speeds are a fraction under 1.9Kbps and uploads 241-242kbps - these are virtually right on the nail for a 2MB service and superior to that which Tiscali used to provide.

Due to move over to TT's LLU service next month. As I'm only 580 yards from the exchange I'm quite hopeful although, to be honest, current speeds are adequate for my purposes.
Viewing Photos on Microsoft Outlook - BobbyG
Hi I have recently moved from Outlook Express to Microsoft Outlook due to the purchase of a PDA. On OE when I received an email with photos, I could just scroll down after the text and the photos would come up. But on MO I need to open each attachment individually.

Is there any way of changing this to be the same as OE?
Viewing Photos on Microsoft Outlook - SjB {P}
(Using Outlook 2003 with Exchange Server)

I haven't tested it yet, but from the main navigation window Tools / Options / Security tab / Change Automatic Download Settings looks promising.
On mine, I don't have that option under the security tab?

I only have Encrypted emails, security zones?
Click Help / About

Which general version of Outlook are you running?
Microsoft Outlook 2002 SP3

Does that help?
Does that help?

Yes, thanks, in so much as it helps establish why you don't have the option that I do; it was introduced with Outlook 2003.

The nearest I have come to being able to help you is by searching in Google for "Change Automatic Download Settings" Outlook 2002 and finding www.heise-security.co.uk/services/emailcheck/adapt.../ (I didn't look beyond but suggest you do).

Inference from this web page is that changing the described registry value to 0 (zero=off) may help, though I stress that Registry editing can bring undesired consequences; This particular idea for a tweak looks to be innocuous, and indeed I have edited the Registry many times and never screwed up the PC as a result, but this could be luck; I know plenty who have, so if you go down this path you are on your own!

Good luck with finding a solution
Antivirus - Avast probs, F-Secure ? etc. - cheddar
Hi,

Had Norton problems, uninstalled NIS and downloaded Zonealarm and also Avast which is well recomended on here, I have had it running on the kid's PCs for a few months with no problems.

However on my XP Pro SP2 machine Avast asked me if I wanted to run a boot scan, I said yes during the scan Avast advises that "Esc" bypasses the scan however my keyboard was inactive during the boot scan so "Esc" did nothing, furthermore the scan found some adware and gave options as to how to proceed "1" for this, "2" for that etc though due to the keyboard being inactive I could not proceed at all without re-starting the computer. Not a very robust system me thinks.

Any thoughts?

I have now installed F-Secure AV via a Barclays Bank offer, all seems well so far except that, as with Avast, Zonealarm does not recognise that an AV programme is installed.

Regards.
Antivirus - Avast probs, F-Secure ? etc. - Stuartli
I've always disabled the boot scan option with Avast!

ZoneAlarm is noted (and ZoneLabs states it has been working on this point for some time) for not recognising Avast! and one or two other AV utilities, but it makes no difference to either in actual use. Windows Firewall used to be/may still be the same.

It sounds as though you have a wireless keyboard - try a corded one temporarily if available. In any case it's always handy for this reason to keep one..:-)
Antivirus - Avast probs, F-Secure ? etc. - cheddar
Thanks Stuart, no it's a corded keyboard, cant be doing with the cordless ones - batteries etc, however it is USB and it may be that USB is not active during the boot stage, a PS2 keyboard might be required.
Antivirus - Avast probs, F-Secure ? etc. - SjB {P}
Thanks Stuart, no it's a corded keyboard, cant be doing with
the cordless ones - batteries etc, however it is USB and
it may be that USB is not active during the boot
stage, a PS2 keyboard might be required.

Quite likely; I recently used Acronis to partition the HDDs on my new home PC as you may recall, and one of the problems I had was that the USB mouse didn't work during the bootup phase (Required, as I was running Acronis as a boot disk). Switching to an old PS2 keyboard and mouse solved the problem.
Antivirus - Avast probs, F-Secure ? etc. - Stuartli
>>>Switching to an old PS2 keyboard and mouse solved the problem.>>

I meant a PS2 keyboard (which is why I stated corded!) - you would have the same problem with a USB type.
DKU 5 CABLE TO NOKIA 3220 - Greg R
I have tried to connect my DKU 5 cable to my computer.

I have installed all the software from the nokia website, but when windows detects the cable, it doesn't want to take the drivers I have downloaded.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks an happy new year everyone.
DKU 5 CABLE TO NOKIA 3220 - Altea Ego
It wont detect a cable. A cable on its own does nothing. you need the phone plugged in the end.
And you need the right phone and the right cable. Not all Nokia pop port cables are the same, there are two types.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
DKU 5 CABLE TO NOKIA 3220 - Greg R
I have the correct cable (checked this).

The phone is plugged in and turned on.

The cable was connected.

It dectects the cable - that is fine - it is just that windows won't allow my cable to match up to the correct drivers and I am completely at loss.

Greg
It needs SP1 on windows xp as well
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
DKU 5 CABLE TO NOKIA 3220 - tyro
By a curious coincidence, I spent much of today getting totally frustrated and finally giving up, trying to get my computer (XP, SP1 & SP2) to link up with a Nokia 3120 via a CA-42 cable. I downloaded and installed the cable driver from the Nokia website, but could not get the driver to recognise the cable and phone.

The cable came with a software CD with a driver, but I was told that the driver had not passed Windows logo testing, and that my computer would self-destruct if I dared install it.. (OK, those weren't the exact words, but you know what I mean.) So I didn't try it.
driver had not passed Windows logo testing,

Ignore it. 75% of stuff you install fails the billy gates logo test.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
DKU 5 CABLE TO NOKIA 3220 - Stuartli
>>gnore it. 75% of stuff you install fails the billy gates logo test.>>

TVM is absolutely right.

By the way, SP2 includes SP1.
DKU 5 CABLE TO NOKIA 3220 - pmh
And I spent most of Sunday trying to make Nokia Software ( for a 6310i) work with a bluetooth adaptor. Absolutely no real progress. Different versions of Nokia software , different Bluetooth stacks all alledgedly compataible but nothing would work. Phones are found but will not communicate to the Nokia software. However a trial version of the (expensive) Oxygen phone software will work

Browsing finds 100s of people who apparently never get the Nokia software to work!
--

pmh (was peter)

DKU 5 CABLE TO NOKIA 3220 - VR6
What version of the PC suite are you guys using. I had a sorts of problems with cable and bluetooth connection before I installed the latest version of the software. Now my bluetooth works with Microsoft, toshiba and widcomm stacks. PC suite version: 6.81.13.0.

The cable issue was resolved by installing Nokia Connectivity Cable Driver, version 6.81.1.2
DKU 5 CABLE TO NOKIA 3220 - tyro
What version of the PC suite are you guys using.

The latest one. 6.82.96.4. As downloaded from Nokia site a couple of days ago.
Cable driver is 6.82.3.0
AMV File - ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond
Anyone know a way I can get an AMV File smaller?

The smallest it goes down to in properties is 160x120 I need it to get down to 96x64 for my MP4 player.

Cheers.
Registry cleaner? - cheddar
After a bit of faffing around with AV progs I would like to clean up the registry, anyone used CCleaner?

ccleaner.com

Is the freeware a cleaner or just a scanner?

Thanks.
Registry cleaner? - PhilW
I use ccleaner - seems to get rid of lots of rubbish, temp files, cookies etc but I don't think it does much for the registry it's like a more thorough "Disc Cleanup". The freeware is a cleaner - doesn't just scan.
For registry I used a free registry cleaner called "easycleaner". I was having probs with a rather dated and very slow laptop and after using it the laptop certainly speeded up a great deal. It found something like 400 registry "problems"!
Not sure if either of these are the best, others will know far more than me.
www.toniarts.com/product_details.php?prod_id=1

--
Phil
Registry cleaner? - Stuartli
I use CCCleaner, but only occasionally to check on the registry.

If you are not careful with EasyCleaner it can cause big problems - would imagine this would equally apply to CCCleaner.
Registry cleaner? - No FM2R
I use ccleaner a lot. It cleans up loads of rubbish out of IE and does clean stuff out of the registry.

However, it doesn;t really fix the registry beyond deleting what it sees as issues. I find it very useful for deleting everything once and then see what's come back in an hour or so - it tends to help understand what type of virus, or mroe often spyware, that one is looking for.

I find Hijack this more useful for a close look. Tweaknow registry cleaner is also worth a look.

I did have a difficult experience with easycleaner, which might have been my own fault.
Registry cleaner? - SjB {P}
I use Reg Supreme, which is easy to use and which I find effective, though like Mark says of ccleaner it deletes rather than fixes the majority of invalid or broken entries. Whatever, though; the result is effective.

The last time I used it was over the weekend after my wife accidentally installed IE7 having received it as a Windows Update. Her laptop (yes, the same one built from two, Mark, still going strong ta) then sufferred chronic performance problems. Deinstalling IE7 (easy - just remove the Windows update) only partially remedied the situation. It took Reg Supreme and the excellent Diskeeper defragmentation and performance tuning utility to kick it back to rude health.
Fitting a new laptop cooling fan - Dulwich Estate
I have inherited a 3 1/2 year old duff Dell Inspiron laptop. The only problem, as diagnosed by my local computer shop, is a non-working cooling fan. It runs fine for maybe 10 minutes, overheats and dies. The shop is supposedly having difficulty sourcing a fan, but I suspect they're not too interested in doing the job. I've seen second-hand fans on ebay at £12 inc. p&p and found new ones around £35.

I'm reasonably handy, but one look at the 100 screws (exageration, but you know what I mean) on the base of the machine combined with all the ports and drives all over the place makes me a bit fearful of taking the base off. Will I ever get it all back again without pinching wires and crushing things when I replace the base?

Is it not too difficult ? or do Ieave it to the (disinterested ?) shop?
Fitting a new laptop cooling fan - No FM2R
>>Is it not too difficult ?

Its not too difficult. And given that you have invested no money, and will only buy a fan if you can successfully disamantle it, then what do you have to lose ? I am assuming that since you are q boy, then taking things apart is fun just for itself.

Remember that if there are 100 screws, then they are of 99 different lengths/threads. It matters remembering which type goes where. [really, really, matters].

Don't take out every screw you see. Try and understand what they are holding down first. It might not be somehting you need to undo and which might equally be a git to put back on.

Access is frequently via the keyboard because under the keyboard can be more screws.

If two parts do not come apart readily then you've probably missed a screw.

Order of disassembly is important for reassembly.

Try to avoid detaching the lid if you can, the hinges can be a pain.
Fitting a new laptop cooling fan - Victorbox
People bemoan the higher cost of IBM laptops but at least you can get an exploded diagram & technical service manual online to show you how to take it apart. Perhaps you can get something similar for a Dell?
The chap in the computer repair shop groaned as soon as he knew it was a Dell. Apparently the firm uses parts which are hard to source for those "not in the know" and are generally unco-operative. Either that or he doesn't know what he's doing and bluffing. He's still looking for a fan so maybe he doesn't really want to know. We'll see. I think I'll take it apart and take a peek inside.

Anyway as mentioned on another thread I'm not buying Dells anymore. We've had maybe 4 Gateways when they did phone / web order in UK - no problems good-ish service. When they packed up their UK operation we moved to Dell and have had maybe 4 from them - not anymore.
Fitting a new laptop cooling fan - Stuartli
>>I'm not buying Dells anymore>>

As far as I am aware Dell rebadges laptops from other manufacturers under its own name - if you can find out who actually made the laptop it might prove easier to acqurie a service manual and/or a fan.
Fitting a new laptop cooling fan - SpamCan61 {P}
Perhaps you can get something similar for a Dell?

the Dell support site has some manuals at least, for example the service and user manuals for my inspiron 600 are here:-

support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins6000/en/...m

Well Stuartli & SpamCan61 you have done yourselves proud and made me a happy chap. Well not too happy, it's still a daunting task but I've taken a look at the Dell Support site which I had never even thought of. I've found manuals and pictures galore of a disassembled laptop.

There's a lot to plough through, but the first thing I see is (as someone here has suggested) that I get to the fan via the keyboard - that's corrected my first ideas already!
To be fair, Dulwich Estate and your computer outlet contact are pretty much on the mark about Dell using certain components that are specifically produced for it, in particular memory and motherboards; however, this is more relevant to desktop systems.

I wish you luck taking a laptop apart - I wouldn't be too keen on attempting it and I've done quite a few desktop equivalents....:-)
Fitting a new laptop cooling fan - Altea Ego
Heed FMR's wise words well.

Stripping apart and succesfully putting a laptop back together so it works and works reliably is a real art.

Take your time. Make notes of everything. There are gazzilions of screws and teensy weeny little cables and plugs. go very gently and logically.

Quick tip. Cheap dells don't use heat pipes or fancy heat tunnels. The fan will exhaust somewere in the side through a vent. The fan is probably gunked up and stuck. Get a WD 40 can, stick the little red pipe in the vent as far as the fan and spray the monkey! It might work.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Fitting a new laptop cooling fan - SjB {P}
Take your time. Make notes of everything.

Echoed.
Courtesy of a donor laptop from Mark I built one working laptop from two duff ones.
Thank heavens I placed the "gazillion screws and teensy weeny bits" in separate containers as well as taking digital photographs at key stages.

Everything worked - and much time later continues to work - but likely only because I took my time.

Good luck, and have fun!
In a perverse way, with nothing to lose, I did.
Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. Containers and camera are ready. The job will be started next week when I will have a clear table and be able to leave it alone and undisturbed for days on end as needed.

I will report back.
Fitting a new laptop cooling fan - No FM2R
>>and much time later continues to work

Really ? I'm impressed.
>>and much time later continues to work
Really ? I'm impressed.

Yup; it sure does, thanks! Everything works perfectly in fact, and using the smart scheduling option in Diskeeper to defrgament on the hoof (as it happens, with a low priority/CPU background job) was a smart thing to do; with similar disk usage (53% of 10GB) performance betters the original laptop she had before it broke and the "new" one immediately after it was built. The missus uses if every day of the week for web browsing, e-mail, and letter writing, plus digital photos streamed over the home network from our new MESH tower. Some days it's left powered up 24x7, the majority it's run for five or six hours and then hibernated until the next day. Antivirus live update and automatic Windows update download (manual installation decision) employed.

It was also used for streaming Czech internet radio, but as of Christmas Day that has become the domain of an Acoustic Energy Internet Radio (first one now replaced without quibble and working perfectly after firmware crash!) plugged in to Denon mini system in the kitchen.
>>using the smart scheduling option in Diskeeper>>

I used to use Diskkeeper Lite, but you have to have the paid for version to have automatic defragging during times when the CPU is receiving little use.

I recently switched to IOBit SmartDefrag as it includes this feature and is freeware. It's probably even faster than Diskkeeper on manual scans. See:

www.iobit.com/
>>you have to have the paid for version to have automatic defragging during times when the CPU is receiving little use. I recently switched to IOBit SmartDefrag as it includes this feature and is freeware. It's probably even faster than Diskkeeper on manual scans.

Indeed so. Sure, there is good freeware as you have found but on recommendation of a colleague I purchased my copy for about £25 and have not been disappointed. A small investment compared with the total sum spent on our home network devices as well as the frustration when things don't behave as they ought. Since enabling automatic defragging, each manual scan I later performed had nothing to process (the optimization report came out as "healthy system - nothing to do", so now I don't bother on any of the four home computers its installed on. "Fire and forget" software.
DV Video to PC #2 - cheddar
My mistake, I said before that Firewire offers 400Mbps and USB2.0 480Mbps, of course Firewire can offer 800Mbps (or 100MBps) which might be the answer with a 1.3 Mp camera transferring in real time.

Any thoughts on required transfer rate etc?

Thanks.
DV Video to PC #2 - Another John H
My mistake, I said before that Firewire offers 400Mbps and USB2.0
480Mbps, of course Firewire can offer 800Mbps (or 100MBps) which might
be the answer with a 1.3 Mp camera transferring in real
time.
Any thoughts on required transfer rate etc?

Thinking in terms of uncompressed live 25 frame per second video, with 24bit colour (256 levels of R G and B) if you were to multiply your 1.300.000 pixels by 24, then multiply by 25 for frames per second, and then add an overhead you're getting the wrong side of 800 Mbps.

But I might be a factor of three over, depending on how the 1.3 Mp is arrived at (does each sensor produce separate RGB or not?).

Ordinary boring standard definition (720 x 576) UK television is 270 Mbps in its uncompressed form.
DV Video to PC #2 - rtj70
If we're talking video then AJH you're right to assume 720 x 576. My camcorder is a 1.3Mp type but for photos only. For video it is PAL (albeit widescreen capable). Next model up did 3Mp but again for video was still 720x576.

Firewire still better performing than USB2. And lets not forget that is Firewire 400 as camcorders that I know of do not support FW800.
DV Video to PC #2 - Stuartli
720x576 is MPEG2 video standard as used, for instance, for DVB and DVD recordings - for example, if I record a 35 minute programme using my Twinhan Freeview PCI TV card's PVR the file is 1.10GB.

Converting it to H264 brings it down to 188MB and with no apparent loss of quality.
UK analogue TV is 720x576 hence my PAL reference (is it quite 576 with the Teletext data?)

Recording at this resolution using Freeview (which is MPEG2) then you say you get about 1.1Gb data. Convert to H264 which is a variant of MGPEG4 and so yes more efficieint at encoding video without loss of quality and smaller files. But back in MPEG2 days the overhead of encoding would be way beyond hardware. Now we can record MPEG4 in realtime.
DV Video to PC #2 - Stuartli
To be strictly accurate, PAL is a 625-line/50 Hz (576i, principally European) television system; using H264 conversion for certain PVR recordings means I can get some on a CD-R...:-)

I use this for the conversion:

shellcompress.zwobot.com/

Very quick and free to use. Play such videos mostly using WMP10.
DV Video to PC #2 - cheddar
A Firewire card it is then!

Thanks.
Another good use of Firewire is networking. If you say have both a laptop and a desktop with Firewire you can connect them with a Firewire lead and have a 400Mbit/s network connection. If like me you only have a 100Mbit/s LAN then copying large amounts of data between the two machines is a lot quicker over Firewire.

And the same 6pin to 4pin Firewire lead needed for the camcorder can be used for this.
DV Video to PC #2 - Another John H
UK analogue TV is 720x576 hence my PAL reference (is
it quite 576 with the Teletext data?)

The whole waveform is 625 lines, you have 576 lines of picture (don't lets start on the half lines, or stray into Bruch blanking, for the sake of what's left of my sanity)..

If I could remember the stuff I used to know for a living I would be able give you a breakdown of the (more or less) two lots of 25 lines which comprise field blanking, and that's where the teletext and test signals are in an analogue feed.

Field blanking gives the time your TV scanning system needs to get the "dot" back at the top of the picture again.
navapsvc.exe resource hog - SjB {P}
A system tray icon shows that my brand new MESH tower unit (2.4Ghz Intel Dual Core / ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium / 2GB DDR2 RAM / 2x320GB Barracuda) never drops below 22% CPU, even when "idle". Leaving the PC switched on for hours on end does not see a drop in CPU activity after settling down from boot-up. Checking the task manager shows Norton Antivirus Autoprotect (navapsvc.exe) to be the resource hogging culprit, but for obvious reasons I'd like to leave this service running. On the three laptops on the home network, including the cobbled together Compaq I recently described in another thread, navapsvc is not such a resource hog and they have nothing even close to the processing power of the MESH.

Some history:

Received new PC
Reformatted both HDDs so I could start afresh with a system configured how I want it
Reinstalled XP MCE from supplied CD
Reinstalled system drivers from supplied CD
Partitioned both HDDs using Acronis
Installed Norton AV 2003 and Internet Security 2003 including to invoke Live Update
Associated PC with home 802.11G network
Connected to the internet for the first time
Installed and configured everything else

All was well until yesterday when I noticed the resource hogging.

The only software change that I had performed (the day before yesterday) was to install a demo version of Microsoft Flight Simulator "X" (before deciding to buy a full copy as I have heard it is a performance sapping inefficient animal and 2004 is a better bet until some awaited tweaks are released for FSX), but deinstalling FSX and running RegSupreme to clear up the Registry made no difference; the problem remains on reboot

Checking in places such as Device Manager shows a healthy, fully functioning, system.

Ideas, please? (noting that I do not want to switch to another AV product, so please don't suggest such; NAV has served me well for many years until this problem arose and I'm not prepared to condem it on this basis alone)

Yes, it is NAV 2003 and NIS 2003 that I use, but given all the other computers in the house are also running XP SP2 and have it installed without problem, I don't think this old version of Norton is an issue.

Many thanks!
After trying different things, I now have a workaround but would still like to fix the cause. The workaround is to kill the navapsvc process from the Task Manager after boot and then to re-enable it via Right Mouse Button from the (now "crossed out") Norton Auto Protect icon in the System Tray. Killing the process drops CPU from 22% to between 0 and 1%, with re-enabling it then keeping CPU at between 0 and 1% with occasional, very short, bursts of 4% attributable to navapsvc.
Well, nobody helped on this rare occasion but in the spirit of putting back some of what I take, here's the outcome:

I found a post on the web that hinted at Adobe Photoshop Downloader conflicting with navapsvc.exe so took a chance and did the following:

1) Disabled this option in Photoshop
2) Opened my copy of the RegSupreme registry editing tool previously written about in this volume of Computer Related Questions, and removed Adobe Photoshop Downloader from the registry list of startup items.

Problem solved; the navapsvc process now idles at 0% CPU like it ought.
The PC boots a little faster, too, as a secondary benefit of removing a registry item from the startup list.
I found a post on the web that hinted at Adobe
Photoshop Downloader conflicting with navapsvc.exe so took a chance and did
the following:

I should add, this was easy for me since I don't use this aspect of Photoshop anyway.
I have other tools that I use for image download and import.
Misleading "Acquiring Network address" - SjB {P}
Every time my home PC finishes booting it successully connects to my WEP enabled home network without the need for any manual intervention. Great. About 50% of the time however although the wireless network connection is fully functional, the standard Windows WiFi system tray icon remains with the "scanning" graphic (moving "ball") and hovering over this gives the caption "Acquiring network address".

Not a "problem" - because the network connection works fine as the fact that I can make this post testifies - but any idea what's going on, please?
It appears that a final network connection "handshake" is not being received.

The wireless card is a Netgear WG311v3 802.11G PCI jobbie and I elected to "let Netgear Smart Wizard" take control during installation. Checking Services confirms that both WZC and NLA are "automatic" and "started". Network strength is "Excellent" with the office door open and "Very Good" with it closed, and performance is indicated throughout at 54Mbps.

Cheers.
Over an hour later, the "Acquiring" icon has just changed to "Connected". Would still like to know what the cause is though. (For info I checked the navapsvc.exe as reported in my previous thread and that is still hogging 22%. I did wonder if it may have dropped and allowed the network connection display to do something, but no. There's no association)
Misleading "Acquiring Network address" - Baskerville
I had a recent frustrating experience helping a neighbour set up an XPSP2 laptop on a wireless network. More frustrating was that his iMac booted up, said "Hey, there's a wireless network here, want to connect?" he clicked yes, entered the password and that was that. The XP laptop said it was connected when it wasn't and vice versa and was utterly unpredictable in what it would do. Eventually we gave up and he went back to plugging it in. I heard a few weeks ago that encouraged by his iMac experience he's just dropped £1500 on a new MacBook Pro.

So if it's working I would leave well alone and ignore it. XP's wireless networking support can be perverse.
Misleading "Acquiring Network address" - JH
If it works leave it alone. I have to admit to compulsive update syndrome. One of my recent experiences was to update the software in my Netgear router. Afterwards 2 Dell laptops would "connect" successfully to the router so why can't they get out to the internet? The hard wired pc can and they could before. After a couple of one hour sessions mucking about getting nowhere and not much help from Netgear (yes I've done the blindingly obvious, now how about some help?) I went back to the previous code level and - everything worked.
JH
Thanks, both; against my normal judgement - I am the perfectionist when it comes to "there's right and there's wrong, but there's no nearly right" - I have used the System Tray settings to hide the Windows wireless connection icon! ;-)

I will now simply use the Netgear wireless icon - which is always correct having chosen Netgear, not Windows, for the wireless configuration - to inform connection status.
No need for my bodge; problem sorted thanks to a tip I got elsewhere.

Despite electing to let Netgear take care of wireless when given the decision prompted during driver installation, Windows Wireless Zero Configuration was still "automatic" and "started". Switching this to "disabled" and "stopped" has solved the problem; the wireless icon now displays correctly. Every time. The wireless network connection still works, too!
Windows Defender - OAP
Recently a notice has appeared on my desktop each time I boot-up.

It reads: Windows Defender.......Application failed to initialize. A problem has caused Windows Defender to stop.

Please can anyone tell me how to fix this problem?

TIA.
Windows Defender - Stuartli
The previous beta of Windows Defender ended around the end of December. Try downloading the latest version.
Firewall? - cheddar
Hi,

I have always run a firewall, previously Zonealarm and most recently NIS2006, following recent Norton issues I am running F-Secure 2007 AV and am at two minds whether to download Zonealarm or rely on the XP firewall and the fact that my router is firewalled, after all last time I had Zonealarm behind my router I received absolutely totally zero alerts.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Firewall? - Baskerville
The only thing a "personal firewall" adds is a warning system for applications on your machine trying to go outwards to the Internet. These will not be stopped by your router's firewall or (I think) XP's firewall and could then initiate two-way traffic that neither firewall would block. A personal firewall warns you about bad stuff running on your PC that wants to phone home. How much of a risk you think that is depends on you.

Here's what I think. As a non-Windows and non-MS Office user the risk to me of taking malware onboard is vanishingly small, but I still run Little Snitch on my Mac to warn of untoward activity. The Linux machines are even safer because they can only download from known good software repositories and then only if I authorize it. If one of those repositories ever gets hacked I'll want a clean reinstall anyway.
MS Office Replacement?? - helicopter
Browsing Ebay I came across this?

Any comments from you experts out there. What is this amazing software ? Is it like snake oil?

tinyurl.com/ylzeff
MS Office Replacement?? - cheddar
Yes, a freeware open source alternative to MS Office, you can download it from:

www.openoffice.org/
Being a complete computer thicko Cheddar - Is it compatible with Office ?

I an getting a new computer for the office next week which will be mine, we have a network of server plus seven machines. I want to put my existing computer into the general office for training

If I installed on my computer on a network without putting in MS office,would I be able to read all my existing documents / spreadsheets etc created in MS Office and would others on the network ?
Cheddar - Is
it compatible with Office ?

As TVM says.

I must admit I do err towards the MS products etc though make myself aware of open source products, perhaps look for a legit copy of Office XP or Office 2000 on e-Bay if you want seemless interface / compatibility and dont want to spend £200.
MS Office Replacement?? - Altea Ego
and damn fine it is too, one or two slight issues with inter operability (formatting mostly) on xls spreadsheets but nothing to worry about.

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
yes it opens and saves .xls, .doc, and powerpoint presentations.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
--one or two slight issues with inter operability (formatting mostly---

This caveat is what concerns me , slight issues can become big issues - I am a great believer in the 'if it ain't broke' principle but I have bought the new machine and need to have it up and running without any issues by 15th - it is being configured at the moment by our support company but there is an issue with them over whether we need to buy an new MS Office licence,.

Being a tight so and so ,I don't want to pay £200 or so for MS office although I will if it is necessary.

Neither though do I want to pay a support guy £80 an hour to sort out possible problems with alternative software .

MS Office Replacement?? - Stuartli
There's also Star Office:

www.sun.com/software/star/staroffice/index.jsp

More info at:

www.aaxnet.com/product/staroff.html
MS Office Replacement?? - Baskerville
In my experience (working as an editor) I find different versions of MS Office are no better at being compatible with one another. In fact just this morning I opened a document that had been sent to me and OpenOffice.org wouldn't play nice. Then (at great inconvenience) I tried Word 2003 and that was no better. So I emailed the person who sent it and they said the document had been round loads of people with different versions of Word for revisions and was a mess at their end as well . A "simplified" version will be sent next week apparently. In general I only accept submissions now in .rtf and Open Document format. Luckily enough OpenOffice handles both of these. Open Document is especially good because it ensures data will be readable even when OpenOffice, MS Office and the rest are long gone.

I've been using OpenOffice.org for several years now with minimal trouble and though I won't say there isn't a learning curve it's pretty intuitive and similar enough to MS Office for it not to be a big deal. There are three deal makers for me beyond the price:

1. It runs on (almost) all platforms, so whether someone is running a Mac, Windows, Linux, or that weird one from the planet Zarg is irrelevant.

2. It uses Open Document format, but has good read/write MS Office compatibility, certainly as good as between say Office 97 and Office 2003.

3. It can make decent pdfs.
MS Office Replacement?? - Number_Cruncher
I've been using Openoffice for about 6 months now, and I can recommend it.

Our project archive has three years worth of work on it (best part of 12 man years worth of work), mainly in Microsoft formats, and I haven't had any real trouble opening and using any of the documents. The biggest problem is if the original file contained macros - these don't translate very well.

In short, I wouldn't go back to using Microsoft Office, and I'm especially happy that the latest versions of Openoffice allow the pdfs they create to have some security settings, so you can control how the documents you distribute will be used.

Given that Openoffice is free, you may as well try it - it can co-exist alongside a copy of office.

Number_Cruncher
MS Office Replacement?? - Stuartli
I used to use MS Publisher 97 (or 98?), but discovered quite by chance that versions after around 2000 were not backwards compatible...:-)

I had been sent a Publisher 2000 file which proved impossible to open, so I contacted the Microsoft forums. One of the moderators offered to convert the file for me if I wished, so I took up his kind offer.

It turned out he was also the assistant manager of the Wardolf Hotel in New York and said that any time I was in the city he would be pleased to meet me. Unfortunately I've not been able to take up the offer so far.
There were issues from Excel 95 to 97 and later and also Publisher and Access 97 to 2000 and later (IIRC) otherwise should be no probs.
I have it installed along side office for the "save to pdf" option
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >