Computer Related Questions - Volume 114 - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 115 *****

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 114. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Who made the CD? - buzbee
What was the link, please, given a few months ago, to software that can read who made a CD?
Who made the CD? - buzbee
By that I mean blank CD's.
Google Search History - bintang
Double clicking in error, I was amazed to find hundreds of items in my history. How can I get rid of them please? The Google site does not seem to have a facilty for this.
Google Search History - pmh
Just highlight the dodgy searches and hit the delete key!

or highlight first entry and keep delete key pressed to remove all entries.

--

pmh (was peter)

Google Search History - L'escargot
How do I find my Google search history?
--
L\'escargot.
Google Search History - Stuartli
See:

www.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=26689&...g

Easier than typing it out...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Double click (Iwhich I did by accident) in the address box. You would normally click once to get the cursor, to be able to enter the desired pages.
First does not work. Second does, thanks: I would not have guessed this.
Google Search History - Stuartli
>>First does not work.>>

Actually it does. But you may have clicked on it rather than highlight it by moving the cursor up and/or down, thus opening the said web page.
MS Office Replacement?? - Stuartli
Further to this thread, there's a new version of OpenOffice, 2.1, available:

www.openoffice.org/index.html
MS Office Replacement?? - SjB {P}
Further to this thread, there's a new version of OpenOffice, 2.1,
available:

Downloaded it last night prompted by yesterday's thread, and am not disappointed; on experience so far I won't be bothering to line Mr Gate's pockets by purchasing a copy of MS Office for my newly arrived MESH tower unit, and will stick with OpenOffice instead. Frankly, I have been most pleasantly surprised. Perhaps not needed by the majority, but the OpenOffice.org Math tool, was nice to receive, too.

Thanks for the tip.
MS Office Replacement?? - pmh
I have just installed it on 3 machines for a small business where cash is an issue. Absolutely no issues whatsoever for word or excel documents. It looks as though the database program may need some extra work. Must look into that.

Leaves more money in his bank account to pay my overdue invoices!

--

pmh (was peter)

MS Office Replacement?? - helicopter
As the originator of this request , I have downloaded the software onto my home computer to check it out before trying it at work .

At first sight it seems to be compatible with existing MS Office and it is reassuring to hear from others who have used it without problem.Thanks for the help and advice from everyone.

PC auto power on - maz64
Hi- I have just confirmed that my PC powers itself up at midnight, as reported by my (adult) stepsons who unlike myself tend to be around at that time of night.

I've checked that the AVG anti-virus doesn't have any tasks scheduled, and all the power up options in the BIOS (eg. wake on LAN) are disabled. After logging in, the task manager didn't show anything unusual ie. the idle process was running at 99%.

I only put the PC together before Christmas, and it might have been doing it since then, although it's usually still in use at midnight anyway. I'm running XP Pro (updated), Abit SG95 motherboard with Celeron 356, Netgear wireless modem/router, hard disk and DVD R/W; no weird hardware. The OS and modem/router came from the previous PC, which behaved itself.

I would have suspected the cheap case's power up switch if it wasn't for the regular timing, which implies to me some sort of 'intelligence' in either hardware or software.

Any ideas?

Cheers
John
PC auto power on - Dipstick
Turn it off at the mains when you go to bed? In standby it's costing you money anyway.
PC auto power on - maz64
> Turn it off at the mains when you go to bed? In standby it's costing you money anyway.

But it's not in standby!
PC auto power on - Dipstick
Well I think for it to respond to the on button at the front of the case at all, or for it to turn itself on by itself, it has to be in standby. All the PCs I play with are, unless explicitly turned off on the power supply on the back of the case with a rocker switch or off physically at the wall.

As a matter of interest, I have a gadget from B&Q that tells you how much power is drawn by any bit of electrical kit plugged into it, and calculates the cost. It turns out that in standby mode, whilst the PC just waits for you to press the button on the front to power it up, the one on my desk at work draws a hefty 27 watts in that state. Where I work that calculates out to about £1000 a year in electricity costs if we leave all the machines like that overnight instead of switching off at the wall. (As matter of course at home I now turn off pretty much all electrical kit - vcr, pc, modem, etc etc at night, which saves me a few quid a year. Also learned that my tumble dryer costs 36p for a full cycle during the day, but 12p during economy 7 times, so now that's on a timer to run at 3am. Might as well as not. Handy gadget.)

But that's by the by really and it was a flip answer.

As a trivial but just possibly helpful beginning, have you looked at the event manager, see if anything is logged in there at 12 midnight? Quick way of getting o that is Start>Run and then type eventvwr to launch it. See if anything leaps at you from there?
AMV File - ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond
Anyone know a way I can get an AMV File smaller?

The smallest it goes down to in properties is 160x120 I need it to get down to 96x64 for my MP4 player.

Cheers.
AMV File - Stuartli
Have a look at:

tinyurl.com/y6xl2m

How do I substitute a face in Paint Shop - Robbie
I have Paint Shop Pro 8 and I wanted to substitute a friend's face on an advert but I couldn't do it. Is it possible, and if so, how do I go about it?
How do I substitute a face in Paint Shop - JH
Robbie,
yes it's possible but you'll have to be patient. You need to cut out a copy of the friend's face from another photo using one of the cutter / select tools. That can be hard work. It's easier if there's a lot of contrast with the background. In that case the "magic" tools stand aa good chance of working. See the vertical toolbar down the left (ubless PS has moved it, it's prone to doing that). It makes it easier if you zoom in and make the face big. Remember, when you go wrong, that you don't have to be perfect first time. You can use "add to" selection and "remove from" selection.

Next copy the face and put it onto the target photo. Sorry, I can't remember if you need to use layers at this point. I think you'll get away without. Of course it will have to be bigger than the existing one otherwise you'll get bits of the old one showing.

Sorry I've not give detailed commands but I jumped ship from Paint Shop to Photo Shop about a year ago and I've no longer got Paint Shop installed.

JH
Tiscali Webmail - Nsar
I am doing something wrong -everytime I've tried to get into my Tiscali email account the page says it has loaded but I'm left looking at a blank space. It has loaded once today in about 30 times of trying. I've had this before but never all day. It's afree email account so the cynical me thinks it's a wayu of forcing me to migrate to a monthly account. Anyone else had this problem?
Tiscali Webmail - Stuartli
Some Tiscali users have been experiencing problems with e-mails in recent times. See:

www.tiscali.co.uk/cgi-bin/status.cgi
Musicmatch Jukebox Query - BobbyG
Hi, I have the paid for version of the above and am in the process of copying all my CDs to the computer. However when I copy a Compilation album, the "tags" it produces means that the Artist is shown as "Various" and then the real artist is shown as "Featuring"

Other than editing each one in turn, is there an easier way of doing it? I have played about with the settings etc but no success.
Musicmatch Jukebox Query - smokie
I don't know a lot about MP3 tags, but if it using "real" mp3 tags then there are products out there e.g. Tag and Rename which allow you to bulk change MP3 tags. Mioght cost a few pence, ISTR that one of them allowed you to run it 10 times, so if you wait until you are a fair way through then do a renaming session you might be able to do it all for free eventually. I use iTunes and althouygh I make changes to the MP3 tags before loading into iTunes, iTunes seems to get the onfo from somewhere else so they still need correcting in iTunes (which also has a bulk correction feature).
Musicmatch Jukebox Query - SjB {P}
Having given my wife an Acoustic Energy wireless internet radio for Christmas, as well as listening to Czech radio, she has started to use the feature to stream music from our household server over the wireless network. For this to work efficiently (ie to give a menu to choose from), the tags as you call them need to exist; only yesterday I therefore had to do some discovering.

Admittedly using Windows XP Media Center Edition (ie orientated towards audio visual media, and I can but assume it applies to other XP versions), the easy way I found to do this is as follows:

01 Open the Windows Explorer folder with the music files in
02 Highlight all the files (click+shiftclick)
03 Press Right Mouse Button
04 Select Properties
05 Select Summary tab
06 Click in right hand side of Artist field
07 Type artist's name
08 Click in right hand side of Album field
09 Type album name
10 Press

This has the effect of adding the album and artists names to the menu.

I hope this helps you.
Musicmatch Jukebox Query - SjB {P}
10 Press

This should read 10 Press OK but because I used less than and greater than symbols it got treated as an HTML tag and disappeared from display.
Musicmatch Jukebox Query - cheddar
Try Downloading Windows Media Player 11, excellent in this regard, does it all for you.
To clarify I have ripped the Anthems 2CD compilation album the kids got for Christmas to MP3, Media Player 11 lists the album name and the individual artists names as Contributing Artists.
To clarify further a single artist album is listed as follows .......

Snow Patrol - Eyes Open
Track 1- You're all I have / Contributing Artist - Snow Patrol
~
etc

....... and the compilation:

Various Artists - Anthems Disc 1
~
~
~
Track 4 - You're all I have / Contributing Artist - Snow Patrol
~
etc
Thanks for the suggestion guys. I prefer using my Musicmatch, all my Playlists etc are in it and the whole family's mp3 player playlists are also on it.

Re the advice from Cheddar, thats what I am wanting to do but Musicmatch doesn't seem to do it!

Oh Well, I only have another 30 or so compilations to go to get them all completed!

Thanks anyway.

Musicmatch Jukebox Query - SpamCan61 {P}
IThe most versatile tag editor I've found is this one:-

www.mp3tag.de/en/

However I'm not sure if it does exactly what you need, i'll have aplay when I get home. which version of musicmatch ar eyou running? I've got v9 running on one PC at home and v10 on another, teh latter does have a few more options tag wise IIRC.
Spam, its version 10, thanks.
Ok I've had a play now, the only way I can find of doing this is more than a little clunky but anyway:-

1) - Select the albums you need to edit in MM10, using the CTRL key to select the various different albums.

2) - Right click & select the 'export track list' option from the displayed menu ( at the bottom)

3) - Export the tags for the selected files to your spreadsheet format of choice

4) - swap round the data in the file so the tags are how you want them, then save the file.

5) - use the ' text file - tag' function in the mp3 editor I linked to above to apply the new tags to the files.

Another ( simpler) thought; if the mp3 files you have include both of the two data fileds you want to swap in their filenames, then use the "filename -> tag" option in most mp3 editors to generate a new tag, with the "featured artist" and "artist" fields swapped round.
Musicmatch Jukebox Query - Citroënian {P}
There's an excellent utility called Tag and Rename that I use for this - searches Gracenote or whatever and populates the tags - but the groovy thing is that it will also search amazon (us, uk, fr, de, etc) and pick up the album notes, covers etc.

www.softpointer.com/tr.htm

hth
-- You know, it\'s not like changing toothpaste
Musicmatch Jukebox Query - Stuartli
>>does have a few more options tag wise IIRC.>>

I've not used it, but MediaMonkey (freeware) is reckoned to be good:

www.mediamonkey.com/product.htm
Flash Drives - Happy Blue!
Currently my secretary has a USB1.0 128Mb pen drive and I have a 256Mb USB 2.0 drive. The prices of much higher capacity drives have dropped and it seems that I can by 2Gb USB 2.0 drive for about £25. This seems a good way of future proofing our accounts backup procedure, which involves backing up each evening on both pen drives and dropping them into respective handbag/briefcase.

Does anyone have any comments about good brands, alternatives etc etc. (i've seen a USB 2.0 1" HDD with 4Gb but wonder how reliable these are compared to solid state memory?) Are they 1" thick?

Thanks
Flash Drives - Stuartli
You can buy 2GB or 4 GB at even better prices. See:

www.bigpockets.co.uk/product.php?product_id=7696 (2GB) and

www.bigpockets.co.uk/product.php?product_id=10287 (4GB)

Sumvision is a well known company (some of its products are rebadged) and its MP3 players in particular may be familiar.

Several years ago my best mate, who owns an independent audio/visual/appliances outlet, took up my suggestion that he did certain daily backups using a memory card rather than somewhat unreliable floppies (he does do a full backup as well on an external hard drive on a regular basis).

He has used the memory card/memory card reader/writer idea ever since and it has proved a simple, but easy to do routine.

The one main risk with memory cards (especially the very small Secure Digital.MMC type) or USB sticks is that they can very easily be mislaid or lost, so some care is needed.
Flash Drives - Citroënian {P}
I've used Disgo for a few years now with a lot of success - my 512Mb has been working fine for at least three years. Got a 2Gb Cruzer titanium last year which is very robust. A lot of my colleagues use Disgo and Cruzer and they've been fine.

However, we've seen a _lot_ of cheaper ones fail - either way, and picking up again on Stuart's last point, make sure this isn't the only copy of any important data (or only backup) and if it's sensitive information on there, be sure to encrypt it somehow.

-- You know, it\'s not like changing toothpaste
Reading Posts on this site and others - P.Mason {P}
Since this morning, whenever I've clicked to read a posting on this and other sites, it's opened a small window to the posting/heading, which has remained on the bar at the bottom of the screen. Have I hit a hidden key combination by mistake?
(I can usually just click on the thread heading and read the posts). Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,

P.
Reading Posts on this site and others - P.Mason {P}
The problem seems to have gone away as mysteriously as it arrived - everything appears back to normal.

P.
USB drivers for MP3 player on 98se & ME? - cheddar
Two of our kids had MP3 players for Christmas and have their own computers running Windows ME and 98SE, the latter is my old workstation and is more than quick enough for ripping CD?s to MP3 etc however it will not recognise the Creative MP3 player when it is plugged into a USB port, the MP3 player display changes in line with being connected to a PC however while the PC displays ?New USB device found? or similar it simply does not recognise the MP3 player as a drive. Unsurprisingly no such problems on my XP pro machine.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
USB drivers for MP3 player on 98se & ME? - rtj70
Did you install the driver that came with the MP3 players before plugging them in? As you'll know cheddar, Windows 9x/ME needs drivers for USB memory sticks etc. and I'm betting these are meant to appear as a removable memory device and are accessed as a USB mass storage device.

Quick trip to the Creative website perhaps?

Rob
USB drivers for MP3 player on 98se & ME? - Stuartli
Apart from rtj70's suggestion, if you haven't already done so it's worth installing the Unofficial Windows 98SE Service Pack (a labour of love by the author) which brings 98Se right up to date to the time Microsoft ceased support. See:

exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html

It's also mentioned on this link about USB issues with various Windows operating systems, which may also help you:

www.usbman.com/win98seusbguide.htm
USB drivers for MP3 player on 98se & ME? - cheddar
Thanks RTJ and Stuart,

The 98se is fully updated via Windows update.

Sorry not to come back on this sooner, I thought there might be drivers on the MP3 player itself though clearly not however I have found them on the excellent Creative site (I have an X-Fi Xtreme Music sound card so have been there before).

I will download on the 98se machine when i have more time.

KWorld DVB-T 300U TV tuner (USB) - SjB {P}
New PC should have come with a Hauppage WinTV USB TV tuner, but for some reason a KWorld DVB-T 300U has been supplied instead. The whole thing looks a bit Heath Robinson and troubleshooting documentation is completely not existent. Unfortunately, yes, I've got trouble.

Everything "appeared" to install correctly on my XP MCE SP2 machine, but trying to run the application caused "Cannot set capture device" to display. A trawl of the web showed this is not uncommon, but no solution was seen so I deinstalled all drivers and the application, rebooted, tidied up registry with RegSupreme, rebooted, and then reinstalled.

Now, the application "opens" but gets no further than the splash screen. After a few seconds "Dr Watson Post Mortem" reports that the application is unable to start and would I like to report to Microsoft. Expanding details of the error gives:

Error Signature:

EventType : BEX P1 : drwtsn32.exe P2 : 5.1.2600.0 P3 : 3b7d84a2
P4 : dbghelp.dll P5 : 5.1.2600.2180 P6 : 4110969a P7 : 0001295d
P8 : c0000409 P9 : 00000000

Details of error:

C:\DOCUME~1\SJB\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER25b5.dir00\drwtsn32.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\SJB\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER25b5.dir00\appcompat.txt

The PC was locked until I used the Task Manager to kill DVB-T, and when I opened the folder described above the contents didn't exist.

Is the problem with dbghelp.dll, in which case should I try to update this system file?
Scanning the PC I have two copies, one in System 32 and the other in the OpenOffice folder.

Cheers.

Tried the download at www.kworld.com.tw/en/index_download_Digital.htm .

No joy :-(
Same prob.
KWorld DVB-T 300U TV tuner (USB) - Stuartli
If the system should have been supplied with a Hauppage WinTV USB TV tuner rather than the K-World, then I would take the matter up with the supplier (providing it's not too far gone since you bought the system) - Hauppauge has been around for a long time producing such devices.

If downloading the latest drivers from:

www.kworld.com.tw/en/index_download_Digital.htm

doesn't work, you could try an

sfc /scannow

(note the space) in case the dbghelp.dll files are corrupted or damaged (or see: www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?dbghelp)

However, as I know from experience, computer TV cards can often prove a pain
Started writing above about an hour ago, until my best mate turned up - did a cut and paste to preserve it whilst I logged on again and you've already been given the drivers link...:-)
Thanks, Stuartli; having maligned the user guide (I stand by what I said) I found the driver update very easily on their website!
>>sfc /scannow

Ta. Running now...
Ta. Running now...

Got "please insert the windows XP professional service pack 2 CD into your CD-ROM drive"
Inserted it (I know it's the right one because I built the PC from scratch using it having reformatted the HDDs you may recall)
Am informed "wrong CD" ...

Currently trying to find what to do on Microsoft.com, but appreciate advice here too, ta!
KWorld DVB-T 300U TV tuner (USB) - cheddar
Got "please insert the windows XP professional service pack 2 CD
into your CD-ROM drive"
Inserted it (I know it's the right one because I built
the PC from scratch using it having reformatted the HDDs you
may recall)
Am informed "wrong CD" ...

I thought you were on Win MCE not Pro?

If you continue to have trouble I have a Hauppage WinTV TV tuner PCI card that is compatible with MCE only so no good to me as I have Pro.
>>I thought you were on Win MCE not Pro?

I am, but the message clearly said "Pro" !
If you continue to have trouble I have a Hauppage WinTV TV tuner PCI card that is compatible with MCE only so no good to me as I have Pro

Thanks for the kind offer.
Let's see how things go as I hate being beaten, but there may come a point!
I should have added; it was a Hauppage device that I thought I'd purchased (though the invoice just says "USB DTV tuner") so I have a discussion to have with the supplier first, too!
>>I thought you were on Win MCE not Pro?
I am, but the message clearly said "Pro" !

So what did you insert, a Pro disc or MCE disc. Of course I assume the latter however the ref to Pro is strange, if there is a bug in your setup and Windows thinks it needs a Pro disc even though you have MCE you could have probs, otherwise it could simply be a default message that applies to MCE and Pro though not Home.
Do you have two optical drives - i.e. perhaps a CD/DVD-ROM and a rewriter?

If so and they are correctly jumpered as the rewriter being the Master and the ROM as Slave, then you need to use the rewriter (which will be the D drive).

Otherwise follow the advice in this link, including if necessary the Registry mods:

www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html:

Do you have two optical drives - i.e. perhaps a CD/DVD-ROM
and a rewriter?

I have two Sony 18x "all format" reader/burners as my M and N drives, with M as the master. I'm sure all is well as the "scannow" process prompts for the disk half a dozen times along the way, and appears to correctly read it (at least, the scannow progress bar makes a lot more progress having paused whilst the disk was read) It is the seventh (or thereabouts) time that the disk is prompted-for, but reading fails with the message quoted.
Otherwise follow the advice in this link, including if necessary the
Registry mods:
www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html:

Will take a look now.
Thanks!
>>as my M and N drives, >>

How many drives do you have? ..:-)

Would (usually) be D and E.

Do you also have USB drives connected?
Thanks for the list - very interesting reading and I'm carefully working down the list. I have my MESH backup CD with XP MCE SP2 from which I am copying the i386 directory, and have also download a copy of XP SP2 from microsoft.com in case of problem with the former disc.

How many (Barracuda 7200 320GB) drives? ;-)
Two, partitioned as below, plus other devices.
Remembering that I use the PC for video editing and that a 10,000 RPM high speed drive for writing the edited video will be added shortly:
Now waiting for the OTT comments, I will get in first by saying (a) I find this structure easy to work with and have updated "My Documents" to support it, and (b) the PC so far runs beautifully well with it.

Here we go:

HDD 1:
C = XP
D = Program Files (logical partition)
E = Documents (logical partition)
G = Audio Media (logical partition)

HDD 2:
F = Microsoft Flight Simulator (logical partition)
H = Visual Media (logical partition)

Plus:
I = Built in Akasa Card Reader
J = Built in Akasa Card Reader
K = Built in Akasa Card Reader
L = Built in Akasa Card Reader
M = Primary Sony 18x reader/burner
N = Secondary Sony 18x reader/burner
O = Card reader built in to Canon MP800R WiFi printer

HDD 3 (USB):
P = File backup, on top of which DVD burns are regularly made and then kept out of the house
For info, G and F are named the apparently odd way round so that G (Audio Media) lists adjacent to H (Visual Media) in Windows Explorer.
That's fair enough..:-)

That's fair enough..:-)

I'm so pleased to hear it! :-)

Just working my way down the linked page you kindly gave.
scannow gets further than before, but the dreaded message still comes up.
Currently replacing the new c:\i386 folder createdby copying i386 from the MESH backup CD with the same folder from SP2 downloaded from Microsoft.com.
I'll then try again.

Stay tuned!
Stay tuned!

Not a good night. :-(

Both my ...SourcePath and ...ServicePackSourcePath entries in the Registry showed as M:\ (the primary CD/DVD drive); this is where I was placing the backup CD copy of XP MCE SP2 that MESH supplied with the PC and which I used out of choice to rebuild the PC from scratch. I therefore know it is the correct version, and that it is a "full" i386 folder given it's size at 403,278,489 bytes and that it contains the winnt.exe and winnt32.exe files.

None the less, I followed the instructions in the linked page and copied the i386 folder from the CD to become C:\i386 and then changed the above two registry values to C:\. Unfortunately, this didn't work; I no longer received the initial half a dozen "insert CD" messages, but when the scannow scroll bar reached the same position as represented what was originally the seventh (or so) incidence, the message was again given.

Out of interest, I moved the i386 folder to become C:\Windows\i386, updated both registry entries, rebooted, and tried again. Failure was at the same point, which to me implies a problem with one specific file, given that all the earlier prompts are now passed over.

At this point I made the huge mistake of replacing the i386 folder with one taken from a copy of SP2 downloaded from Microsoft.com. The result was failure at the same point, and after cancelling scannow and rebooting, a trashed PC with some applications no longer working and a screwed Netgear WiFi connection. Three hours later, having gone back to the oldest XP save point, re-installed stuff I actually wanted to remove to get broken uninstall shields to work (!), and deinstalled the wretched TV tuner software that started this merry go round, I then had a working PC again.

Of course scannow still failed at the same point.

Further digging on the web revealed disabling the Group Security Policy for "Restrict CD-ROM access to locally logged-on user" but mine was already disabled.

Back to square one!
Forget the TV tuner (It's goin back to MESH or in the bin), I now simply want to get scannow to work for my piece of mind.

Ideas, please?

Thanks!
>>Ideas, please?>>

The only other thing I can suggest at present (just off to take the missus for three hospital appointments in a day in Liverpool) is to do an XP Repair.

Although this will/should(!) preserve all your programs, utilities, configuration etc I would suggest a backup first.

To do an XP Repair follow this guide (to save me typing it all out):

www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

You will note that you keep selecting Install initially and then R for Repair (NOT Recovery Console). it takes about 40 minutes.

An XP Repair is always a good move if, for instance, you replace a motherboard as XP doesn't always take to a new mobo. The repair, in this particular case, would be done on the first bootup with "Boot from CD" selected in the Bios.
>>Ideas, please?>>

Earlier comment re the system asking for a Pro disc, did you resolve this?

Also can you revert to an earlier restore point in System Restore? Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore.
Earlier comment re the system asking for a Pro disc, did
you resolve this?

No - It still prompts for Pro despite deing an MCE installation made from an MCE disk with the same MCE disk being used for scannow.
Also can you revert to an earlier restore point in System
Restore? Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore.

Thanks, but this was one of the first things I did, and when it didn't help I went back to the very first restore point without success.

>>The only other thing I can suggest at present (just off to take the missus for three hospital appointments in a day in Liverpool) is to do an XP Repair.

Thanks, Stuartli.
I will try this later today.

Good luck in Liverpool.
>>The only other thing I can suggest at present (just off
to take the missus for three hospital appointments in a day
in Liverpool) is to do an XP Repair.

Having read the guff, I've chickened out.
Yes scannow fails, but the PC works without apparent problem and I can vouch for its heritage (built from the same XP MCE Sp2 disk as is used for scannow, plus Windows updates) so I don't see where scannow goes wrong.

Wuuld rather exhaust scannow, first, but thanks anyway.
I wonder if I've found the reason for scannow believing that an unnamed file is of the wrong version and then prompting for the source disk; the XP MCE SP2 recovery desk supplied by the computer builder clearly states "Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 Service Pack 2" (exactly as ordered), but Start / Settings / Control Panel / System states "Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002 Service Pack 2".

Is there a chance that the supplied backup disk is actually "slipstreamed" or similar and in fact combined from multiple releases that span 2002, 2004, 2005 and 2005 SP2?

Folder structure in the CD is as follows, noting I have used a lower case "i" for clarity, and dash symbols instead of slashes to prevent any chance of removal on saving this post.

$OEM$
CMPNENTS - MEDIACTR - i386
NETFX - i386
TABLETPC - i386
DOTNETFX -i386
i386
-ASMS
-COMPDATA
-DRW
-LANG
-SVCPACK
-SYSTEM32

For example, when I copied the top level i386 folder to my PC and changed the registry to read this location during scannow, should I also have merged the other four (small) i386 folders with it?
KWorld DVB-T 300U TV tuner (USB) - SpamCan61 {P}
>>Forget the TV tuner (It's goin back to MESH or in the bin)

The K-world doesn't have a terribly good reputation on the net:-

www.pcpro.co.uk/shopper/reviews/85141/kworld-dvbt-...l

I use the Freecom one mentioned in that article, mickey mouse SW supplied with it, but at least it has supported BDA drivers now so I should be able to get some of the better 3rd. party apps. ( or even Win MCE) running with it. :-/
The K-world doesn't have a terribly good reputation on the net:-
www.pcpro.co.uk/shopper/reviews/85141/kworld-dvbt-...l

Yes, I found that article, too! I should have had Hauppage WinTV so that's what I'm holding out for at the mo. Cheers!
KWorld DVB-T 300U TV tuner (USB) - Altea Ego
I have a Hauppage win dvT,

I have to say the software and drivers they supply is as equally appaling. I aqm in most terms a biot of a whiz, but to get this working on XP pro with multiple users was a nightmare.

The Hardware is good but the software is garbage, Using third party BDA stuff now
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Thanks, TVM.

>>Using third party BDA stuff now

GBPVR, perchance?
I took a gander last night but haven't got any further, yet.

As an aside, is there any decent, well designed Windows DVT card, with decent, well designed, well documented, software compatible with Win MCE remote control? If so, I will consider incurring the extra expence simply to get something that doesn't fill me with worry that I purchased something designed on a wing and a prayer with the budget taken from that week's groceries.

Cheers.
KWorld DVB-T 300U TV tuner (USB) - Altea Ego
GBPVR, perchance?

Yes.

I only ever got the basic Huappage back level application running on multiple XP pro users, and that left me without any remote control, EPG, or any other digital TV goodies.

GBPVR worked out of the box, (well off the web) took its time to find channels and 7 days epg tho
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
KWorld DVB-T 300U TV tuner (USB) - SpamCan61 {P}
>>As an aside, is there any decent, well designed Windows DVT card, with decent, well designed, well documented, software compatible with Win MCE remote control?

I couldn't find one:-((

When I have time I'm going to try my Freecom 'stick' with the latest version of MediaPortal, as this supports the remote control that came with my PC. I tried GBPVR a few months back, no joy, might have another bash if I can't get MediaPortal going. Just last night my 'stick' has decided it can't see BBC4, even when it's on air, so lord knows what is going on, always worked in the past.
KWorld DVB-T 300U TV tuner (USB) - Dipstick
I have a Nebula card and it's cracking. (As in good, not poorly built!). Can use BDA drivers too if needed.
Dah Daah Daaah................ Hang out the flags!

The KWorld DVB-T 300U tuner card is not only working, and working well, but working as part of XP Media Center :-))

Boy, what an uneccessary load of hassle though

I eventually learned from MESH support that the standard drivers shipped with the unit are not compatible with an XP MCE machine, and it is necessary to go to www.kworld.com.tw/en/index_digital.htm and download the BDA driver zipset. I had already been to this page of my own accord to download the updated XP driver set, but not knowing what BDA was if it were to leap up and bite me, had not taken this download.

So, I downloaded it, checked the existing drivers were not installed (I only knew to do this as MESH had explained it was a "replacement" set, not a "bug fix set"), checked the registry was clean, rebooted for safety, took a save point for safety, plugged in USB tuner, cancelled "new hardware" message as instructed, and installed the new drivers. The result was...nothing: MCE gave "TV tuner not found".

Tried again.
Nothing.

Moved the USB connection from #3 in the four gang set on the back panel to #2 in the two gang set on the top panel, this prompting "found new hardware" again. Repeated the installation as above but WITHOUT deinstalling anything first. This time the result was... a working TV tuner and a properly confgured MCE environment. (With shimmy of hands - "just lah that")

Thank the Lord - and my BR friends for help and advice along the way - but this begs (rhetorically, so no "?" symbols):

Why did MESH sell an otherwise fabulous piece of kit (the PC) with a device (the KWorld digital TV tuner in lieu of expected Hauppage) that knowingly had an incorrect driver set; having eventually got to speak to someone, the speed with which I was given the answer means I was not the first with the problem.
Why doesn't the KWorld documentation mention XP MCE - or better still include the drivers on the CD - as the MCE driver set is not new and likely predates my tuner's manufacturing date.
Why doesn't the KWorld download page actually say that the drivers are needed for MCE, because if they did I would have downloaded several days ago and saved your time as well as my own; I am sure I am not alone in not knowing until I had been instructed to download the drivers and Googled for the term out of curiosity as a result, that BDA means Broadcast Driver Architecture. Even knowing this, there is nothing that intuitively decodes as "needed for XP Media Center Edition".

Rhetorical grouses over; I have a working TV tuner, but one real question remains; in these days of plug and play devices that are in fact highly complex under the covers but shield this from the User, why on earth are tv tuners for PCs still a black art?! The web posts I have read by the bucket load confirm my experiences are far from unique and far from limited to KWorld.

Pleased to learn you now have a working TV card.

The original drivers may well have been WDM (Windows Driver Model) versions - my original Twinhan analogue TV card used these, whilst the Freeview version uses BDA drivers.
Cooked motherboard - sine
Hi, The motherboard on our home computer overheated yesterday and i think it's dead. I wasn't using the computer but was using the internet it provided via network. I noticed the internet stop working for about 20 secs before hearing it switch off. I did notice a slight burning smell a few minutes before-hand but assumed it was coming in through the window. That was until I opened the case. Routing around with a thermometer one area of the board containing a few capacitors, transistors / thyristors / MOSFETs and some green things with a coil round them (what are these??) was at about 80C.

It will now only switch on for about 0.1 seconds (the fans just twitch). Looking closely at the problem area 3 of the capacitors have slightly raised tops with a little bit of brown stuff leaking out.

I've bought a new board on eBay but am wondering if the reason for the overheating might have been some fault with the power supply, and therefore the new board will soon go the same way when turned on.

I guess it's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string but advice appreciated

tia
Cooked motherboard - SjB {P}
"Horse", "stable door", and "bolted", but I use DiskTemp from DaleSoft (actual URL private.peterlink.ru/tochinov/) to monitor HDD temperature and send me an alert if it exceeds whatever threshold I decide.

In the past I have used Speedfan too, but this is OTT for what I need and has no "pop-up" warning to draw attention.
Cooked motherboard - SjB {P}
I'm getting too quick posting before I've finished tonight! Apart from hoping this may help protect your new board, I also wanted to add that the only time I've seen a board "melt" as you describe was in a laptop when the cooling fan failed. You say they "twitch" but have you tested them? In any case, good luck!
LOL, thanks for reply. I'll try the monitor program when i get it working again. The new board came today :)...
Forgot to say but the failed board was 4 years old (made by Gigabyte).
I don't think the cooling fan(s) failed, but I will check them to make sure.
Cooked motherboard - adverse camber
there are still people having problems due to a batch of fake capacitors which were used in various motherboards a few years ago - was your one of them ? try searching on the motherboard model - you might get somewhere with the maker if it is one of the affected ones.
Cooked motherboard - Stuartli
you might get somewhere with the maker if it is one of the affected ones.>>

It will have done well to last four years if this is the case...:-)
New motherboard seems to be going the same way. Within a few minutes of switch-on a part of the new board which looks very similar to the overheated area of the old board is at 60C. At which point i switched off as that doesn't seem right to me.

Tried another power supply and same thing. Admitedly it is a cheap supply.

Only other thing left I can think of is a processor or memory fault.

I've tried to attach a link to a pic of the affected area of the boards.

img242.imageshack.us/img242/159/asrockk7nf22il0.jpg
(hot area is the 4 black squares and those things with coils round)
img441.imageshack.us/img441/2286/gigabytega7vaxp2f...g
Cooked motherboard - Altea Ego
woo

Hold on

The 4 black things are power transitors, and are dealing with large amperages. 60c is not excessive for these, indeed they will normally run so hot they will burn your fingers. About 80c is the time to worry for these babies.

If your PC is functioning ok (have you tested it with the new motherboard?) then you dont have a problem. Anything hauling too much current further down the power rails will burn a land if its drawing too much.

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Hi TVM,
Going on what you said i left it on for a little longer (maybe 5 minutes). They heated up to 70C at which point I switched-off again. The thermometer is fairly accurate and reads 19C when i point it back at a wall.

I'm not sure if the PC is functioning ok. I just left it in the bios. It will not run windows from the old motherboards hard disk. It keeps restarting fairly early in the start-up procedure.
I was just beginning to put a fresh windows install on a spare HD when i noticed it getting hot again.

What item do the power transistors supply?
Cooked motherboard - Altea Ego
The power supply is providing mostly 5 volts and 12 volts. The regulators are taking the 5 volt, and turning it inot lots of other voltages, but mostly the core voltage for the CPU (anywhere around 1.2 to 1.8 volts) and a regulated 5 volts for the rest of the board. If there is anything drawing too much through the regulator the feed from the regulator will burn out first rather than the regulator. Those things do run hot belive me.

did you replace the motherboard with one exactly the same? same model number? if you dont the different chipset means it wont boot with your old windows install.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
MP3 ripping etc - cheddar
Further to my post on MP3 ripping on a 98se machine, I have downloaded drivers from Creative so connectivity is not a problem.

However the last version of Windows Media Player that runs on 98se or ME is 9.0 which does not rip to MP3, you need 10 or 11 for that.

So I downloaded an excellent free prog from NCH that does a fantastic job, worth a look Spamcan and others.

www.nch.com.au/

www.nch.com.au/rip/index.html
PS: You can get an MP3 plug in for Media Player 9 on XP only.

Also the NCH software does a great job at sorting album name, artist and track name.
MP3 ripping etc - Stuartli
The Nero plug-in can be found at:

www.nero.com/eng/wmp-plugin.php
The Nero plug-in can be found at:
www.nero.com/eng/wmp-plugin.php

Thanks though I think that is XP only?
MP3 ripping etc - Stuartli
Audiograbber might prove the answer:

www.audiograbber.com-us.net/

It's now freeware.
Thanks, the NCH software does the job on the kid's 98se machine, really worth a look, they do lots of interesting utilities, link above.

Also download Windows Media Player 11 if you have not already, it really is great, as with 10 XP only though.
MP3 ripping etc - SpamCan61 {P}
>>Also download Windows Media Player 11 if you have not already, it really is great, as with 10 XP only though.

Bwahahahah etc. My daughter downloaded that and it broke our Napster account good and proper. It took a 35 minute phone call to Napster's support line in Florida ( thankfully their support number is a geographic UK number) to sort it out. Had to download patches for WMP11, Napster and Win Xp to fix it :-((. Then i realised it had obliterated my optical drives from 'my computer'.

Two registry hacks later, one to stop WMP updating and one to get the optical drives back, and all is well...for now.

Yes WMP11 does look nice when it finally works, although it does seem fussier about ID3 tags the my usual MusicMatch 10, in that albums which correctly appear as one album in the latter are split between different albums in WMP11. Not sure what's going on there.
I had no probs with WMP 11, only that I was happy with 10, MS Upadte offered me a WMP update, I assumed it was a security patch, next minute I had WMP 11! I was initial miffed though soon quite pleased because 11 is even better than 10.
I think my issues are due to the heavy reliance Napster has on WMP to work correctly, particularly in terms of DRM functionality. I think i can do the re-synchronising licences procedure in my sleep now :-(

The one thing that does pfd me off about WMP is that there is no option to stop the program searching for periodic updates without registry edits, that I am aware of anyway.
MP3 ripping etc - adverse camber
how does it search ? Can you set your firewall to block its access to the web ? Either by port or web address?

Do you have windows set to auto update rather than custom - you should be able to choose which patches get applied.

(but I am a linux user - my windows knowledge isnt so hot these days)
>>how does it search ? Can you set your firewall to block its access to the web ? Either by port or web address?

I don't know how it searches, port blocking is a bit beyond me....All I know is that the "automatic updates " feature on the plyer tab of WMP options only has selectable frequency of check for update, no "off"; until a registry edit anyway.

I have windows updates set to inform but not automatically update, but WMP just went and did it anyway.

I may be dipping my toe in the tranquil pool / shark infested waters of Linux, I want to 'softmod' my cheapo Argos X-box to run XBMC ;-)
On WMP 11 Options>Privacy has various tick boxes to uncheck also a Firewall such as Zonealarm allows you to restrict an application's right to connect to the internet as does the Firewall on my router.