May 2005 Mondeo.. Sorted ??? - Beaks
I bought a 130 tdci mondeo in August, after reading honest john's and what car's reviews. I also had one for a few weeks in work. Then I started reading all of these tales of woe about the fuel pumps etc, though they seem to be older models. So far my Mondeo has been really good, there is no flat spot between 1800-200 revs, and I was getting 48mpg on my 15m each way dual carriageway journey. Unfortunately this has dropped as my journey to work has changed to 6 miles through town.

Has the Mondeo of this sort of age been sorted ???
May 2005 Mondeo.. Sorted ??? - kithmo
I hope so, mine's about the same age, 55 reg (sept 2005), date of manuacture, March 2005, running like a dream (touches wood).
IIRC in HJ's breakdown it mentions some modifications to the head and injectors on later models. I only use Shell Extra diesel and a splash of Millers for its lubricating qualities (and give the engine a cuddle once a week)... ;0)
May 2005 Mondeo.. Sorted ??? - Beaks
Mine is 31st May 2005, and as you say it runs really well. I'd never heard of Millers before reading this forum, one visit to Ebay later and it was in the tank.. I live in Barry just outside Cardiff and there is only one Shell stn (possibly two ) in Cardiif but it is the other side of town, so I am putting in supermarket stuff and Millers. I am not too impressed with the stereo though, and it has only got one cd, the one in my primera was better. Still, I am enjoying my mondeo as much as you by the sounds of it... thanks for the reassurance....
May 2005 Mondeo.. Sorted ??? - cheddar
Mine is May 2002 and I have done 112k from new, sure there are those that have problems though I dont beleive that the Mondeo is statistically problematic, the fact is that it is fairly numerous and those with issues will gravitate to a site like this. As someone else said type "TDCi problems" into Google and this site is the top of the list. Also the X-Type uses the same diesel engines, we are not hearing about regular X-Type problems, the reason is that they are far less numerous.
May 2005 Mondeo.. Sorted ??? - kithmo
Same hear with the Stereo, but there's an auxillary input socket in the glove box and I have a 3Gb mp3 player with 10 hours battery life plugged in for longer journeys. But I mostly listen to the radio locally.
May 2005 Mondeo.. Sorted ??? - Sprice
If you can't find shell Beaks, try BP Ultimate, which is supposed to be good for diesels. Not sure of the situation in Barry, but there's a few BPs in Cardiff, it seems to be 70% Texaco in South Wales!
May 2005 Mondeo.. Sorted ??? - Menzies
I had a Mondeo TDCI which ran like a dream, until it went wrong. It still had some warranty on it but the Ford dealer told me it was suffering 'fuel contamination' and so the £2000+ repair would not be covered by warranty. As a diesel driver for 8+ years I had never been near a petrol pump in years, but you are totally in the hands of the dealer with a problem like this and their response was "tough".
A visit to an independent diesel engine repair workshop revealed that the problem was fuel pump failure (on a 2003 built car) and he stated that he had seen this on many Ford and HDi-engine French cars.
Basically these cars are very very good when they're good, and very very bad when they go bad. I have never heard of a petrol engine car costing over £2000 to repair a fuel system fault. And Ford are not exotic cars, they are supposed to be everyday cars for the working man.
I did write to Ford HQ but only got a standard letter telling me it is an issue for dealers to sort out.
I am now a Honda customer.
May 2005 Mondeo.. Sorted ??? - Micky
"> but you are totally in the hands of the dealer with a problem like this <"

No you're not. With all due respect, you gave in. But that's your choice ...
"> but you are totally in the hands of the dealer
with a problem like this <"
No you're not. With all due respect, you gave in. But
that's your choice ...

You know more about my case than I do then.

I took the car into the dealer with a poor running fault, believing it would be repaired under warranty.
The dealer then told me that the system is damaged due to "fuel contamination" and I will have to foot the bill.
I argue with them and they say that it COULD be a warranty repair, but the parts will have to go back to Ford for assessment and I have to pay their £2000+ repair bill first. If Ford decide its a component failure then they will refund me later.
By this time, of course, the car has been stripped and I have no guarantee that the part they will send back to Ford is actually the part off my car.

I got them to reconnect the pump and the car ran poorly, but still ran, and I got the diagnosis confirmed by an independent diesel agency who said hes seen a lot of Ford pump failures!! I contacted Ford Customer Service (an oxymoron?) and they simply told me it was a matter between the dealer and me and nothing to do with them!. A letter to Ford HQ was answered in the standardised same way (after a delay of six weeks).
I managed to get a reasonable p/x on the Mondeo against a Honda Accord.

You may consider that to be 'giving in', but I reckon I managed to dodge a £2000 repair bill! I just want a well designed and reliable car with dealers that give good honest service. For that reason I would find it impossible to recommend a Ford TDCI to anyone. Show me ANY petrol engine car that has needed a £2000 repair on its fuel system within three years. In fact I think you could replace the ENTIRE fuel system on a petrol engined car for less than £2000, not just the pump.
May 2005 Mondeo.. Sorted ??? - LeePower
Got a mate who is a Ford technician at a big main dealership, they see 1 TDCi system failure at least every 3 weeks.

Dual mass flywheel failures on the TDCi are a weekly occurrence.

I just had a look on another car website that has owner reviews. Here are a few of the comments on Mondeo 130BHP from owners:.

"Started with a misfire, injector replaced, on return car was cutting out, returned it to the dealer, car then with the dealer and Fords fuel system supplier (Delphi) for 4 weeks, with the grand total of 9 injectors, 1 pump and the fuel tank all replaced. "

"Least reliable car I have ever owned. Head gasket, 6 injectors in total, cooling pump."

"A known flywheel design fault, engine vibrations and software problems. "

"Engine too complicated and is hard to diagnose the problem before it breaks down. "

"Latest fault is that the car stalls at 30mph when changing between 2nd and 3rd. Vibrates dreadfully below 2000rpm. Above 2000rpm goes like a rocket. Overtaking has never been easier. Ford and trading standards intervened on my behalf, due to the volume of faults on my car. The TDCI engine has A LOT of known design faults and Ford service bulletins for repairs. "

"This car is awful when cold and misfires at 1100rpm when warm. Avoid TDCI's unless you have some warranty as repairs can be very expensive on these very technologically advanced (but underdeveloped and tested) engines"

None of the above comments are from me, I have not yet posted my experiences yet, but I will do soon, :-)

People can't say they haven't been warned.

">You know more about my case than I do then.<"

Thank you.

">I managed to get a reasonable p/x on the Mondeo against a Honda Accord.<"

Parkers at the ready.

">but you are totally in the hands of the dealer with a problem like this<"

That's giving in.

">In fact I think you could replace the ENTIRE fuel system on a petrol engined car for less than £2000, not just the pump.<"

You could replace the all the fuel systems on my small-but-perfectly-formed collection of classic Britmobiles for less than £2k .... even a quadruple set of DCOEs must be less than that. Although I'll ignore the sub-20mpg for the purposes of this thread. Where's Cheddy? He'll be along, mark my words.
Micky

I guess the difference between you and me on this issue is that you have the luxury of just making smart alec remarks on a bulletin board whereas I actually had a faulty car (and no other means of transport) and was facing a £2000 bill delivered by an unhelpful dealer. That kind of focuses the mind a bit. Looking back I'm really glad I sank the £2000 into a newer Honda and not fixing up the Mondeo (that I was told also had a worn clutch, another £1000 to repair).

I am aware of Cheddars frequent posts about his TDCI. He is lucky enough to have had a reliable car and wants to extrapolate his experience to the whole TDCI fleet.

I'm please I'm out of the Mondeo, driving a Honda is a much better experience.
The difference between you and me is that I wouldn't state that:

"> but you are totally in the hands of the dealer with a problem like this <"

If you want to wave the white flag to Ford then that's your prerogative, but giving up makes it more difficult for other punters (including me) to obtain a decent level of customer service from Ford. I've dealt with Ford Customer Service on several occasions. The primary objective of Ford Customer Service is to make money for Ford.

">whereas I actually had a faulty car <"

I have several faulty cars, including two Fords :-0

Smart alec? Probably.
May 2005 Mondeo.. Sorted ??? - Wales Forester
Why do you have to be so obnoxious with your replies to people Micky? There is just no need for it.
I thought it was just me you had a problem with when I was on the receiving end a while back, but it seems that anyone who is in disagreement with your opinion gets the same treatment.
It's almost like you're trying to get peoples backs up.

"> Why do you have to be so obnoxious with your replies to people Micky? <"

Obnoxious? Where?

">I thought it was just me you had a problem with when I was on the receiving end a while back <"

You've lost me there. Whatever we discussed must have had an effect on you, whatever it was. Or perhaps you are imagining it?

">It's almost like you're trying to get peoples backs up.<"

It's almost like you're too sensitive by far.
May 2005 Mondeo.. Sorted ??? - Dynamic Dave
OK, enough please.

DD.
Merely some light-hearted banter and pithy comment Dave ....

Merry Midwinter Solstice!
May 2005 Mondeo.. Sorted ??? - Dynamic Dave
Micky, save it for the Discussion area of the forum.

DD.
May 2005 Mondeo.. Sorted ??? - quizman
My sympathies are with Menzies, it is nearly impossible to take on and beat a huge corporation like Ford.
I have had trouble with a Ford dealer, it is like knocking your head against a wall trying to get them to help, they just couldn't care less and treat you like dirt.
I hate giving in to dealers, but sometimes you have to be realistic.
I have owned many Ford cars, but I will never buy another. That is the way to beat them, not upsetting yourself.
>>I am aware of Cheddars frequent posts about his TDCI. He is lucky enough to have had a reliable car and wants to extrapolate his experience to the whole TDCI fleet.>>

I am pleased I have had a reliable car though is it really luck? As with most cars these days, reliability is the norm, not the exception. However clearly the more numerous the car statistically more problems will come to light on a forum such as this.

All I try to do it put some perspective into the argument when an individual who has clearly had an unfortunate experience tars the whole of the global Ford production for the last 10 years and the whole UK Ford dealer network (most of whom are loyal and hardworking people) with the same brush.

May 2005 Mondeo.. Sorted ??? - lolingram
Snip:

I have no axe to grind in this discussion, but may I comment on what I see before me?

>> ">but you are totally in the hands of the dealer with
a problem like this<"
**That's giving in.

**A bit unfair this, unless you have a pretty deep pocket...
">In fact I think you could replace the ENTIRE fuel system
on a petrol engined car for less than £2000, not just
the pump.<"

Irrelavent
You could replace the all the fuel systems on my small-but-perfectly-formed
collection of classic Britmobiles for less than £2k .... even a
quadruple set of DCOEs must be less than that. Although I'll
ignore the sub-20mpg for the purposes of this thread. Where's Cheddy?
He'll be along, mark my words.

Ditto.

Surely, what is really the crux of this affair, is that:

1) The dealer is clearly hiding behing the fuel pollution claim, and not looking after his customer correctly - no balls towards Ford in other words, as the pollution claim is factuous and most ambiguous.

2) The ridiclous cost of LP/HP diesel pump replacements is simply scandalous... look at the 'old' mechanical pumps - far more precision here at lower cost? Likewise with injectors - given that the development costs have been amortisised. This applies accross the board to PSA/VAG/Ford et al.

3) What to do? Are we stuck with these ways to make money out of spares, rather than the actual vehicules?

4) Do PSA/VAG dealers act in similar ways?

PSA will have a fuel sample tested for any contaminants before ANY HDI fuel system warranty claim is excepted.

PSA will have a fuel sample tested for any contaminants before
ANY HDI fuel system warranty claim is excepted.

So does this differ significantly from Ford/VAG? Who pays for the fuel analysis?

I have 3 Xantias... two are XUDs and the other a '99 HDi with 200k on the clock... is this going to cost an arm and a leg one day I ask...
No idea who pays for the fuel analysis im afraid.

Ill ask next time I speak to my mate at Pug ;-)
With all due respect lolingram, I suggest you read some of the previous postings regarding TDCi repair costings before claiming that other contributer's offerings are "irrelevant".
With all due respect lolingram, I suggest you read some of
the previous postings regarding TDCi repair costings before claiming that other
contributer's offerings are "irrelevant".

It's all about respect - remarks re: DCOEs etc. do not relate to the topic; that's all. No insult intended.

I too am very interested in Ford diesel repairs and faults, and really appreciate being able to participate in this Forum freely, to see how Ford and PSA compare. This clearly will involve a certain amount of discussion which some might just take umbrage at, which is regrettable. Probably a good idea to re-read posts a few times before sending...?

Old French saying: 'il vaut mieux tourner la langue 7 fois dans la bouche avant de repondre'
It logically follows on from previous threads regarding TDCi mpg and repair costs vs petrol-engined mpg and repair costs. No umbrage taken.
May 2005 Mondeo.. Sorted ??? - Aprilia
I think you have to be sympathetic to any owner who has an in-warranty vehicle and then gets hit with a £2k bill. Most people pay through the nose for a new car because they anticipate three years of motoring with no 'unexpected' bills.

Checking the fuel for contamination is only valid if the failure is 'recent' (i.e. has happened whilst there is still contaminated fuel in the system). I think in the case described the allegation was that the vehicle had experienced contaminated fuel in the fairly distant past (i.e. none still in the vehicle) and so the pump was going to be sent off for inspection. Under these cicrumstances I can understand Menzies was reluctant to part with £2k in the hope that the diagnosis would come back in his favour! Not a lot of chance of that, I suspect.
As regards the performance of the Ford dealer; well, I understand that years 2+3 of the "Ford" warranty is actually a an insurance policy paid for by the dealer. I suspect it is in their interests to minimise the number of claims and with a fault in Year 3 the dealer would not be claiming against Ford but against the warranty company.

I have no real idea of the statistical liklihood of a TDCI failure, although as I have mentioned before a friend of mine has a steady stream of business fixing various CR vehicles with what seem to be expensive repairs.
One might well consider that a vehicle such as a TDCI will be less reliable than its petrol engined equivalent. I am not a reliability engineer, but in basic engineering reliability theory the concept of 'addivity' states that for a complex system the overall failure rate of the system is the sum of the failure rates of the component parts. So, for a TDCI Mondeo, which has a very complex control system, a variable-geometry turbocharger and a dual-mass flywheel then it might not be surprising if the failure rate were higher than a say, a 2.0i petrol Mondeo.
Got a mate who works for Ford main dealer.

One dual mass flywheel every week.

One TDCi system failure every 3 weeks is the norm

His word are buy the PETROL version ;-)
My understanding is that Ford will claim fuel contamination as the cause of the failure of the pump even if no contamination is present, which beggars belief. If Ford cannot prove that the pump failed due to contamination or other owner error then Ford should repair at no cost to the owner, assuming a warranty applies. Although fitness for purpose might apply outside a warranty period.

The problem is, it probably needs the threat of a court case to force Ford to undertake repairs.
May 2005 Mondeo.. Sorted ??? - Aprilia
Determing the cause of fuel pump failure would probably require a metallurgical investigation conducted by persons with the appropriate expertise and equipment. I suspect at the moment the pumps get sent back to Ford or Delphi to take a look at and they are then 'judge and jury' on the matter - I'm betting that they raarely find against themselves. The average customer would not know where to begin and would be totally at the dealer's mercy.
It would take one very knowledgable customer to have a problem and then call the dealer's bluff.
May 2005 Mondeo.. Sorted ??? - 232burn
New to this forum bit a simple sample from the tank and placed in a clear container will see the fuels / contamination seperate ( as the fuels have differing density ) if its a old contamination the dealer will be unlikely to spot it and should take it as a warranty claim , the 2nd & 3rd year warranty is a Ford policy & claimed in the normal way as a 1st year warranty minus body & trim plus wear tear items , done a lot of research on this and Ford do not recall all parts back to factory only a selected line of problems to enhance their product ! i have a good friend who is a warranty clerk at a Ford dealer, the problem with the earlier comment is that after tests @ the supplier is that if the seals have corroded by the petrol they can see this as the diesel normally lubricates the fuel system .hope this info helps people out there !
ps if there is any doubt a dealer will ask for a payment until the outcome is resolved !
has with a lot of cars other people have driven them and people do make mistakes with re-fuelling so dealers cover there option to safeguard there business until it is finallised .
pss
when a sample of fuel is taken you can always make an area safe and put a light to it & see if it ignites ( petrol will catch fire unlike diesel ) CAUTION TO BE TAKEN WHILST CHECKING SAMPLE AS VAPOURS TRAVEL )
NOT TO BE DONE INDOORS OR IN A CONFINED AREA
It logically follows on from previous threads regarding TDCi mpg and
repair costs vs petrol-engined mpg and repair costs. No umbrage taken.

Basically then, this is a (mainly) anti Ford argument, rather than anti diesel per se?
"> Basically then, this is a (mainly) anti Ford argument, rather than anti diesel per se?<"

It's probably an anti-manufacturer-who-refuses-to-repair-defective-components thread.

If you can read between the lines, you might work out that my next tintop purchase will probably be a TDCi, once I've worked out how to ensure the risk remains with Ford ;-)
May 2005 Mondeo.. Sorted ??? - Screwloose
Micky

Get it on a full-repairing lease. Loan car and all.

It's not only Ford that realize they simply can't afford to accept common-fail diesel claims. Doesn't make it right though.
It's not only Ford that realize>>

The difference with Ford is that they acknowledged an issue during early TDCi production via a TSB the details of which can be found on this site here, this could be used as ammunition by anyone experincing CR pump problems on a TDCi MkIII Mondeo or MkI Focus.

>>they simply can't afford to accept common-fail diesel claims. Doesn't make it right though.>>

Clearly the rights and wrongs of it are whether each individual failure is either down to a manufacturing / assembly fault or whether it is driver induced i.e. misfuelling.

Misfuelling of diesels is a regular occurance in this country mainly due to driver incompetance though in part due to poor pump labelling by the oil co's therefore it is not unreasonable for the car manufacturer to want to establish the cause of the failure at the point that a warranty claim is made. It seems that some dealers will assume that the failure is misfuelleing until it is proven to be otherwise and others will err on the side of the driver unless misfuelling is proven.

The latter seems to be the most equitable to me.
May 2005 Mondeo.. Sorted ??? - wemyss
I understand a little about CR mainly from this site and 95% of the problems detailed always seem to relate to Ford and in particular the Mondeo.
Having also read that Delphi appear to be the main player in this area for different manufacturers why is this so?.
Have never seen any complaints about Japanese or other Far Eastern cars suffering the same continous problems.
Is this down to volume of cars sold or are there other unexplained reasons. Why always Ford?.
wemyss
I understand a little about CR mainly from this site and
95% of the problems detailed always seem to relate to Ford
and in particular the Mondeo.
Having also read that Delphi appear to be the main player
in this area for different manufacturers why is this so?.
Have never seen any complaints about Japanese or other Far Eastern
cars suffering the same continous problems.
Is this down to volume of cars sold or are there
other unexplained reasons. Why always Ford?.

Do Ford still fir Delphi pumps notwithstadning how deep Deplhi are in the poo?
May 2005 Mondeo.. Sorted ??? - 659FBE
The Americans and to a lesser extent, the Japanese have been late in developing competitive small diesel engines, largely because their home markets show no concern for fuel economy.

Faced with the necessity to market diesels for the European market, Ford and GM have had to rely heavily on imported diesel know-how (Isuzu and Fiat for GM, PSA for Ford). We all know, some to our cost, how expensive fuel system components are for diesels - the fuel system can be more expensive to buy than the rest of the engine costs to make.

Some of you will know from my other posts that I have worked in the fuel systems business, and thet my favourite supplier of fuel system components - by a mile - is based in Stuttgart. Ford and GM, faced with huge component costs for fuel systems from this supplier (they're not cheap) decided to do their own thing and produce their own - rather like the FoMoCo carburettors of old. I'm sorry to say that the results are rather similar.

The Americans will always support their own suppliers - in this case Delphi, who have formed a diesel business largely from the ashes of an old UK fuel systems company, now no longer trading. They got the business without the know-how.

The notion of pump cam rollers "bedding in" leaves me cold. These are precision items made from special materials, hardened, ground and lapped. They don't bed in - they damn well fit perfectly from the start.

Snip:
The notion of pump cam rollers "bedding in" leaves me cold.
These are precision items made from special materials, hardened, ground and
lapped. They don't bed in - they damn well fit perfectly
from the start.

Perhaps you can enlighten us all as to why a CR setup should cost x times more than a precision Stuttgart made mechanical pump sys?
Cost in the automotive business is a very elastic variable. It is just not reasonable or justifyable to compare OE (original equipment) cost, ie. the cost of supplying say 25,000 fuel pumps per annum to the Ford Motor Company, with the service replacement cost of a similar part as a single item.

Other factors come into play - the Chinese now make and can supply all the working and wearing parts of the "precision Stuttgart made mechanical pump", so this inevitably has an effect on the cost of service parts from the original supplier of this component. No doubt when our Chinese friends get around to making CR bits, the prices will fall. I hope they make a better job of these than some of the the VE parts I've seen from there. Write down of development costs will also make spares for older designs cheaper.

The OE price of a CR setup compares very favourably with a conventional system when the performance gains are taken into account.

Ford and GM, faced with huge component costs
for fuel systems from this supplier (they're not cheap) decided to
do their own thing and produce their own - rather like
the FoMoCo carburettors of old. I'm sorry to say that the
results are rather similar.

What results? The facts are that the chain cam Ford / Jag Delphi fueled CR diesels are still, some 5 years after being launched, at the top of the tree for efficiency, power, torque and refinement and are certainly no worse than average for reliabilty. In fact the small number of Mondeo issues, zero Jag issues and zero Transit issues (similar engines / fuel systems) reported here when offset against the shear numbers of TDCis on the road, some of which are 5 years old with stellar mileages, and the fact that they do above average annual mileages perhaps indicates rather good reliability in service. When you then consider that a significant number of "failures" will be driver induced vis misfuelling then it might even be quite a rosy picture by any standards.

The Americans will always support their own suppliers - in this
case Delphi, who have formed a diesel business largely from the
ashes of an old UK fuel systems company, now no longer
trading. They got the business without the know-how.

>>

So the facts show they have done a pretty good job then dont they?

The notion of pump cam rollers "bedding in" leaves me cold.
These are precision items made from special materials, hardened, ground and
lapped. They don't bed in - they damn well fit perfectly
from the start.

Any two independant metal surfaces that are designed to come into contact with each other, however well hardened etc, will 'bed in' to some degree.
Cheddar - it's a pity that your statistically insignificant observations may have the effect of clouding an interesting discussion. It is entirely consistent that you may have the automotive equivalent of the "woolies light bulb which has lasted for 20 years". Good for you - others have not been so lucky and might appreciate some information from more diverse sources.

I therefore rest my case regarding the first parts of your reply; a full story would only be revealed by access to warranty claims - the automotive industry's most closely guarded secret.

As far as cam rollers are concerned, let me suggest an equivalent, although less highly stressed example. The rolling elements in the front wheel bearings of your car operate in a closed space with an eggcupfull of lubricant. That sufices for what is normally a long life. If these rolling elements started shedding any debris of any significance whatsoever, their early demise would be the result - this usually happens when they eventually fail.

Pump cam rollers are more highly stressed than balls in wheel bearings, but they operate in a continuous supply of cooling lubricant and are (or should be) made from better materials. In a correctly operating fuel system, they do not shed any detectable material.

Snip:
Pump cam rollers are more highly stressed than balls in wheel
bearings, but they operate in a continuous supply of cooling lubricant
and are (or should be) made from better materials. In a
correctly operating fuel system, they do not shed any detectable material.

Front hub bearings do NOT typically fail these days (other than faulty manufacture) except for ther following reasons:

1) Incorrect preload

2) Ingress of road dirt

Typically outlast the car life in most cases. Fiats typically fail due to insufficient sealing. As 659 points out, no significant debris shed here.
Cheddar - it's a pity that your statistically insignificant observations may
have the effect of clouding an interesting discussion. >>

Clearly inaccurate, perhaps even just conjecture though no less significant than any other view expressed within this discussion - except of course for the fact that you disagree.

Frankly this is getting kinda ridiculous however it you want to talk statistics, yes my car alone is is insignificant, as are the half dozen other high mileage problem free TDCis I know off, as are the four or five cars reported on here to be problematic however statistically when it comes to cars reliability is the norm and failures are the exception exception. Accordingly small number of people with problems will gravitate to a site like this to report and seek advise however as has been said before the problems reported on here are clearly not the tip of a much larger iceberg as proven by the fact that if you Google "TDCi problems" or similar it is this site that is at the top of the list.

Lastly, warranty stats from Warranty Direct, Ford and by way of needing a comparison or benchmark, Toyota:

Ford have an index of 78.68 and an average repair cost of £250.96.
Toyota have an index of 101.78 and an average repair cost of £377.02.
Ford are 5th overall in the manufacturers listing, Toyota are not in the top 10.

Narrowing it down to fundamentals like engine and fuel system probs (the latter of course being topical here):

5.26% of Fords have engine probs.
17.61% of Toyotas have engine probs.

3.98% of Fords have fuel system probs.
5.66% of Toyotas have fuel system probs.
Any two independant metal surfaces that are designed to come into
contact with each other, however well hardened etc, will 'bed in'
to some degree.

NOT if the surfaces have been lapped by definition... not even 1 micron if correctly heat treated.
Snip:

>> >> The Americans will always support their own suppliers - in
this
>> case Delphi, who have formed a diesel business largely from
the
>> ashes of an old UK fuel systems company, now no
longer
>> trading. They got the business without the know-how.
>>
So the facts show they have done a pretty good job
then dont they?

Pretty good job, eh?
May 2005 Mondeo.. Sorted ??? - googolplex
Cheddar is, of course, entirely correct (and makes the same point that I have often made) in that this ritual moaning of issues to do with the TDCi engine leads to daft and alarmist comments such as "common fail" and "never buying Ford again".
Those unfortunate few who have had problems should visit the mondeo owners website, the forum of which, whilst being a little coarser in tone than this site, offers a wealth of comment on all of these issues. I think the link is something like www.fordmondeo.org, though I will go an check this link in due course.
Cheddar's and my thoughts on the matter are not designed to stifle debate on important issues to do with this engine, merely to put into perspective some of the unnecessarily alarmist banter which unfortunately goes with such a debate.
Just checked that link (although I have no idea how to make it act as a link - help please). It is correct. Once on the site, click on Forum, go to Technical and then click on the link for 4 cylinder diesel engines. Well worth it.
May 2005 Mondeo.. Sorted ??? - Wales Forester
Splodge, to make it a link add "h t t p : / /" in front of the web address without the spaces or " marks.
www.fordmondeo.org
Many thanks!!
May 2005 Mondeo.. Sorted ??? - kurnal
Hi Splodgeface
We shared experiences a few years ago and I see my accounts of those troubles are still appearing even on this thread. So I thought an update may be of interest.

My first mondeo - an early tdci 02 plate was a nightmare and in six months and 8000 miles from new had three major fuel pump failures, none of them caused by wrong fuel or anything I had done. The third time I returned the car as being unacceptable quality and Ford replaced it for me with a new 52 plate of the same model. They were very helpful- but only because I had the buying power of a national leasing company behind me. Till I brought in the big guns I felt alone and was very much messed about and bullied.

The replacement car had the 1800 rpm misfire from new and was plagued with this till about 40000 miles when the EGR valve finally stuck wide open - at last fault codes were recorded, at last the problem was finally resolved for good by the new style egr valve.

I am not a gentle driver - but not manic either- and always achieve 42- 47 mpg.

The car now has 95000 miles, has had discs all round, rear calipers, and now needs new discs on the front and a new steering pump as the bearings have gone- very noisy indeed. Quoted minimum £650 for this. But apart from the rattle from the main pulley the engines been great.

Ready for a change now- thinking passat or the maybe waiting for the new mondeo.
May 2005 Mondeo.. Sorted ??? - Collos25
Front discs and pads are £30 on E bay and a recon steering pump can be sourced for £80 seems to be a lot of profit init for someone at £650.
Thanks Andy
I really would be grateful if someone could point me towards where I can pick up a steering pump, new or recon for the 52 plate tdci at anything less than £375 for the pump alone which is the cheapest price I or my local garage can find (and they werent in stock). The £650 was the estimate to fit a ford pump and allowed about £150 labour and other parts/ fluid to purge out the rack, to flush the system.

I agree pumps for the earlier mondeo are available much cheaper but for the mk 3 diesel they seem to be like rockin hoss poo. Have done google searches and the like but followed up several ads by a phone call without success so far
May 2005 Mondeo.. Sorted ??? - Collos25
Try these for starters
www.jaygee.co.uk/recon.html
Thanks very much Andy- you are right. £95 off the shelf. Brilliant!
May 2005 Mondeo.. Sorted ??? - chukter

>>>>>zero Transit issues (similar engines / fuel systems) reported here >>>>

Cheddar - Sorry to spoil your thread, but my Son-in-law bought a brand new commercial transit van and he had a total pump failure at only 15k miles. In fairness the local Main Dealer did replace not only the pump under warranty, but the entire fuel system (beyond the pump( including injectors at a cost in excess of £2000.

Needless to say he will be looking elsewhere to replace this vehicle in the near future, as he has lost confidence in Ford.
>>Sorry to spoil your thread, but my Son-in-law
bought a brand new commercial transit van and he had a
total pump failure at only 15k miles. In fairness the local
Main Dealer did replace not only the pump under warranty, but
the entire fuel system (beyond the pump( including injectors at a
cost in excess of £2000.

Stastically there is bound to be some Transit probs though sounds like good service from the dealer, reckon his faith in Ford will be restored if it is still going strong at 200k.