95 Kia Pride LX -sloppy gearchange - Anglesey Ian
Hi all,

A tad of knowledgable advice is requested please.

Mrs Ian drives (although seldom) a 1995 Pride LX and I know that are critics in these parts about this vehicle. It is an unmarked example with 20k up and has never failed to give anything but faithfull and sterling service. The back seats have never seen a bum on them.

Its winter service and safety check is due (and MOT also) but I notice that the gearchange is a little sloppy and vague. (The only fault).

My question is ' is there an obvious fix for this' so that I can appear to know what I am talking about to the garage ?

Thank you in anticipation

A I
95 Kia Pride LX -sloppy gearchange - jase1
Kia Pride gearchanges are always sloppy and vague -- depends on how bad it is.

Probably just the linkage needs adjusting -- quick fix normally.

You won't get any criticism out of me about these cars -- they're quite literally an 80s Mazda 121 (Kia produced them under licence for Mazda, then continued production once Mazda moved on) and as a result they're tough little cars.
95 Kia Pride LX -sloppy gearchange - Aprilia
Check out the bushes on the gear linkage for wear. Should be a fairly cheap fix.
thank you for your responses

I'm very grateful

Ian
95 Kia Pride LX -sloppy gearchange - ffidrac {P}
Had one of these for a while (94 model, did 80000 miles worth) and on one momentus drive I put my hand on the stick to change gear and the stick went through the floor!

It has a rubber mount at the bottomof the stick (underneath the car) which had perished and 'let go', this could be worth a look as I had noticed a 'sloppy' feel for a while before it finally went
Thanks ffidrac for the ominous warning. I'll get them to check
Ian
95 Kia Pride LX -sloppy gearchange - ffidrac {P}
Thanks ffidrac for the ominous warning.

I must add that when the stick fell it only went 4 or 5 inches until it caught on the exhaust pipe (I think) I was able to pull it up and use it (whilst holding it up) for the 3 weeks or so it took for the new part (rubber bush in a 2 footish long arm) to arrive (I fitted it in about an hour)
95 Kia Pride LX -sloppy gearchange - John24
If it's similar to my SiL's Matiz, look in the engine compartment. On top of the gearbox there is a short lever to which is connected the linkage from the gearstick, by means of a ring with a rubber insert, for dampening vibration. The insert had perished and it wasn't difficult to fabricate a relacement. Gearchange now nice and tight again. If you get the garage to fix, they'll probably want to change the whole linkage, at a cost!
Thanks John, I'll take a look tomorrow (assuning it stops raining that is)

regards

Ian
95 Kia Pride LX -sloppy gearchange - bell boy
:-) :-) at this time of year? in anglessey..............narr