Low profile tyres - kerb damage - duncansand
My new car (well, had it nearly a year, so not that new now) has 18inch wheels with pirelli p-sero nero low profile tyres. They seem to be extremely sensitive to kerb damage - I've had to replace 4 tyres due to them having deep cuts in the side-wall. My last car (same model) had 17inch wheels with pirelli p-zero asimetrico tyres, and I don't remember having to replace any of them due to splits. Are these tyres particularly sensitive - would another make be better? At nearly £150 a time, this isn't cheap......
Low profile tyres - kerb damage - car junky
Try Michelin Sports or Bridgestones which have a side wall rim to prevent kerb damage
Low profile tyres - kerb damage - L'escargot
Low profile tyres are less resilient so kerbing is more likely to cause damage. Another point to bear in mind is that the wheel rim will be nearer the ground so the wheels will also be more susceptible to kerbing damage.
--
L\'escargot.
Low profile tyres - kerb damage - Simon
Dare I say that maybe keeping away from the kerbs would be a better idea than trying to find tyres that will withstand that kind of abuse. I know if my tyres were costing me £150 every time I touched a kerb with them I would do everything possible to keep away from the kerbs.
Low profile tyres - kerb damage - oldgit
Personally, I'd steer clear (excuse the pun) of any any car fitted with these nonsensical wheels/tyres. IMHO they do nothing to enhance the appearance of any car, but there again there are people out there who will substitute the standard alloys supplied with their cars, with ridiculously large alloys and correspondingly even more low profiles to achieve, what? Hard ride, tram-lining, excessive kerb damage...........................etc.

Nutters, if you ask me.
Low profile tyres - kerb damage - midlifecrisis
My Vectra came out of the factory wearing 19" wheels. I've just changed the front tyres after 26000m. I don't mind the harder ride and the car looks good with them on. I never drive my car up a kerb, which protects the wheels and the tyres.
Low profile tyres - kerb damage - BazzaBear {P}
As mentioned above, I think the best solution would be to stop driving into kerbs.
Finding another tyre supplier would be a good idea too, can't say for sure without full size details, but I bet you could get good 18" tyres for appreciably less than £150 a corner.
>>I know if my tyres were costing me £150 every time...

Its only just dawned on me that the tyres on my Focus ST170 are 18" with a 45% profile, so I am pretty much in the same boat as Duncansand. Although I naturally keep mine away from kerbs as much as possible. I certainly don't bump them up and down kerbs whatever the circumstances and I have had no problems. Just for the record though, my tyres are Continentals which are the standard factory fitment on ST170's.
Low profile tyres - kerb damage - LeePower
My old boss had a Volvo V70 with 17" alloys & low profile tyres, took less then a week of ownership before needing a new Pirelli thanks to a kerb.
Low profile tyres - kerb damage - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Don't drive into kerbs then! Get help to park or use the near side mirror to gauge kerb positions.

Vredestein and Continental low profile tyres come with a protection strip.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Low profile tyres - kerb damage - duncansand
Thank you very much to those who offered the kind advice of not bumping into kerbs. I must admit I hadn't thought of that - your insight is truly remarkable. Oh, and by the way, these are the standard wheels & tyres on my car. I happen to think they look very nice, but didn't actually make any consciouse choice about wheels or tyres - I just got what came with the car. If only all questions posed here were answered with such helpfull comments!

As it happens, I blame my wife, who claims it wasn't her either! So, I guess it's possible the tyres are getting damaged when going over pot-holes, but I think that is unlikely - it never happened to me before. There again, I never had a cut side-wall before - so it's a bit of a mystery. Hence, the original question - are pirelly p-zero nero's know to be particularly easy to damage?

Low profile tyres - kerb damage - Manatee
Duncansand wrote: "Thank you very much to those who offered the kind advice of not bumping into kerbs."

I must say I had the same thought, but I thought you had probably worked that out for yourself! But you *did* say "kerb damage" and the number of damaged wheels on the cars our office car park shows that driving into the kerb is standard method of parking for many (but probably not the users of this forum)!

I think the problem is probably road surfaces - if the tyre 'bottoms out' against the rim it could well cause a split. Tyre pressures are presumably critical on these 'rubber band' tyres.
Low profile tyres - kerb damage - Bill Payer
Duncansand wrote: "As it happens, I blame my wife"

Keeping up the kind advice theme: Don't let your wife drive the car!

I don't let my wife drive mine, and the alloys (and tyres) have remained unmarked for 2 yrs (I'll probably kerb it tomorrow!).

My wife's car has 'normal' profile tyres on steel wheels - I have to replace the nearside plastic wheel trims now and again. She just thinks it's one of those things that will happen and regards it as unavoidable, and regards the plastic trims as a consumable item. It's genuinely put me off replacing her car (a Jazz) as it now has alloy's as standard.
Low profile tyres - kerb damage - Statistical outlier
My gf kerbed my front ns alloy badly about a month ago, having survived 10 months with not a mark on them.

I hadn't got it sorted, good thing really, as I did it again on Sat!! Simply wasn't paying attention while pulling over in heavy rain. Very annoying.
Oh, and by the way, these are the standard wheels &
tyres on my car. I happen to think they look
very nice, but didn't actually make any consciouse choice about wheels
or tyres - I just got what came with the car.
If only all questions posed here were answered with such
helpfull comments!

My advice about the tyres was not meant sarcastically. Even sticking with the same make and model of tyre, I'd be amazed if you couldn't beat a price of £150 a corner.
Try www.mytyres.com and www.blackcircles.co.uk as starting places.
Low profile tyres - kerb damage - Roly93
Personally, I'd steer clear (excuse the pun) of any any car
fitted with these nonsensical wheels/tyres.

Yes I agree, why are we getting these low profile tyres/wheels rammed down our throats by the motor manufacturers. The tyres wear out like lightning, cost more and knacker the ride. I have got a significant budget to spend on my next new car, and am finding it increasing difficult to avoid being forced to have them.
Low profile tyres - kerb damage - Bill Payer
Yes I agree, why are we getting these low profile tyres/wheels
rammed down our throats by the motor manufacturers.

Perhaps this is why people are buying 4x4's - kerbs don't present much of a problem to them :-)
Low profile tyres - kerb damage - oilrag
"My wife's car has 'normal' profile tyres on steel wheels - I have to replace the nearside plastic wheel trims now and again. She just thinks it's one of those things that will happen and regards it as unavoidable, and regards the plastic trims as a consumable item. It's genuinely put me off replacing her car (a Jazz) as it now has alloy's as standard."

Same here Bill, My wife has brought buckled steel wheels home, one was bent like a banana.
As she does not consider wheels to be part of the car ( only the interior trim) her next car WILL be on steel, even if it has alloys as standard.
We used to have a 10yr old polo and I used to pop down to the scrapyard, pick up a new (old) wheel for a fiver then put a new tyre on it.
Things have improved a lot but *wheels* are considered expendable as normal wear and tear.
Low profile tyres - kerb damage - jag
make the wife pay for a brand new wheel from the franchised dealer out of her housekeeping,
she will learn eventually. jag.
Low profile tyres - kerb damage - ForumNeedsModerating
Couldn't agree more oldgit. Apart from the dubious aesthetic 'benefit' , there's the notion that they
aid cornering precision (& grip if oversized) , well maybe true on snooker table flat race tracks,
but most non-dual carriageway roads have such uneven pock marked surfaces, that hard-riding
low-profiles actually upset the cornering composure they're supposed to enhance.

~woodbines
Low profile tyres - kerb damage - Micky
">Personally ..... rant, rant .... Nutters, if you ask me.<"

Well said oldgit, but if the idiots want to waste their money on "pimping their rides" then it's a free country etc.

Of course, everyone knows that the alloy wheels so beloved of the pimps are - in fact - the wrong alloy. True lightness is achieved by the use of magnesium, otherwise the best performance is obtained by using steel wheels.

So there we have it: if you're not interested in performance, fit some tarty aluminium alloy wheels.
Low profile tyres - kerb damage - Bagpuss
I have 19" wheels on my car with low profile tyres. When parallel parking I don't want to park too far away from the kerb in case someone clouts the door mirror, but I am very careful about not kerbing the wheels when manoeuvring into the space. However, on one occasion when driving out of a tight parking space I used a bit too much lock which caused the nearside front wheel to catch on the kerb and caused a nice long scratch.

Lesson learned. Then I was in the UK with the same car. Did the same thing to the offside front wheel.

Then I caught the nearside rear wheel on a kerb in a multistorey car park in Italy that looked like it had been laid out for Fiat 500s. Presently the only unscathed wheel is the offside rear. I'll get the other 3 repaired sometime, but I think I'll leave it a while.
Low profile tyres - kerb damage - MVP
Alloy wheels, large diameter wheels and low profile tyres must be the biggest con in motoring history.

The ride will be harsh, alloy wheels always look dirty (except for the 24 hours after they have been washed or in a car showroom), and scuffing is a constant worry.

Why does anyone buy them, unless they like to drive around in a pimpmobile?

Steel wheels and tall tyres - comfy ride and no worries!
Low profile tyres - kerb damage - Lud
Why does anyone buy them, unless they like to drive around
in a pimpmobile?

They do like to drive around in pimpmobiles of course. Taste and elegance, yeah yeah....
Low profile tyres - kerb damage - Mad Maxy
One man's (or woman's) useless bling and a hard, uncomfortable ride is another one's aesthetic improvement and pleasantly firm ride... Each to his (or her) own.
.......alloy wheels always look dirty

I don't agree.
and scuffing is a constant worry.

No more so than with steel wheels.
Why does anyone buy them

Because of their greater dimensional accuracy (circularity, radial runout, axial runout etc ) you get far less wheel vibration problems with alloy wheels. That's why I buy them.
--
L\'escargot.
Low profile tyres - kerb damage - yorkiebar
Not entirely tue.

A lot of aftermarket alloys especially are heavier and probably less accurate than standard steels !

Nothing wrong with decent alloys and sensible low profile tyres imo.

But agree each to his own !
Low profile tyres - kerb damage - oldgit
Alloy wheels, large diameter wheels and low profile tyres must be
the biggest con in motoring history.
The ride will be harsh, alloy wheels always look dirty (except
for the 24 hours after they have been washed or
in a car showroom), and scuffing is a constant worry.
Why does anyone buy them, unless they like to drive around
in a pimpmobile?
Steel wheels and tall tyres - comfy ride and no worries!

Could not agree more. If I had to drive from London to Kabul, I'd much rather have standard steel wheels with a decent amount of air volume in my pneumatics. The others are purely unnecessary bling, except for my own standard alloys with non low profiles on them.
One of the much repeated things which amazes me on the backroom is just how increasingly annoyed the alloy-wheel-haters seem to get at the idea that anyone might decide to like them.
I mean, I don't like parsnips but I don't tend to rant at everyone who does, telling them how stupid they are and that per kg carrots are much better.
Ok, so maybe I do. But come on, parsnips? They're exactly like carrots, except they taste revolting. They're evil carrots, that's what they are. I mean, you're a little kid, your parents try and get you to eat vegetables and eventually you come around to eating mashed carrots. So your mum starts mashing them mixed up with parsnips, so the whole mess tastes vile again. What sort of message is that supposed to send to you? Parents are clearly determined to punish you in some way by feeding you something you don't like, THAT'S the message.
And don't even get me started on sprouts.
Low profile tyres - kerb damage - Lud
And don't even get me started on sprouts.

Absolutely BB. A truly vile vegetable. And I am with you on roast parsnips too.
Low profile tyres - kerb damage - MVP
One of the much repeated things which amazes me on the
backroom is just how increasingly annoyed the alloy-wheel-haters seem to get
at the idea that anyone might decide to like them.
I mean, I don't like parsnips but I don't tend to
rant at everyone who does, telling them how stupid they are
and that per kg carrots are much better.

That's cos I have to listen to by brother in law winging about how he can't get his alloys clean and he keeps getting flat tyres (BMW 5 series on pimp wheels with run flats), my sister winging about how hard the ride is and prefers the Pug, my mate how his missus keeps rimming the alloys, yada yada yada
Low profile tyres - kerb damage - tyro
One of the much repeated things which amazes me on the
backroom is just how increasingly annoyed the alloy-wheel-haters seem to get
at the idea that anyone might decide to like them.

I think the alloy wheel haters are annoyed / angry / anxious that alloy wheels are becoming standard on so many cars in this country, so they feel the need to raise their voices and even rant occasionally, because they fear that steel wheels may become extinct. :-)

(btw, I'm a steel man myself)
Low profile tyres - kerb damage - mk124
I am so glad that I drive a 10 year old Clio with small steel wheels. I have never had a problem with tires spliting or doing damage to the wheel (but have removed trims since they did get damaged). Even without trims I like the look of my wheels, they are galvinesed metal instead of the awfull black painted steel wheels you get now.
Do big alloy wheels and black steel wheels represent progress? Not a chance if your forced to have them as standard.

-----------------------------------------------

Torque means nothing without RPM
But my Coupe has alloy wheels - albeit 'only' 16" - and I have also never had a problem with tyre or wheel damage.
My Focus ST170 has 18" alloys fitted as standard, and I have had no problems at all with rim damage or tyre damage. That is mainly due to the fact that I am pretty careful with it. The tyres are a 45% profile and the ride is firm, but that is not just down to the tyres, it is to do with the fact that it is a 'sporty' version of a Focus and it is designed to handle well and as such the suspension is pretty firm too. I like the look of nice alloy wheels anyway and I think that mine really suit the car (they are the multispoke ones).
If you live in the sticks like I do kerbs are unfortunately few and far between. I'm trying to get the local highways department to install a kerb along the edge of the grass verge outside my house to deter people from driving over it. At the moment they can (and do) do it without a second thought to their alloys!
--
L\'escargot.