Peugeot 306 XLDT - Andrew Collier
I am about to buy a 7 year old vehicle with 71K on clock. What advice can anyone give to maximise engine life. In particular I am thinking of oil changes, frequency and type and glowplugs. Any advice appreciated.
Re: Peugeot 306 XLDT - David Woollard
Andrew,
I look after three 306's of roughly the age/mileage you mention. Problems they have suffered recently include master cylinder/rear brake cylinders leaking, discs/pads needed, front wheel bearing failure, track rod ends, clutch cables seizing, radiator failure, airbag faulting, coolant pump leakage, glowplugs.
Long term maintenance items that may well be outstanding are timing belt/tensioner, coolant change, brake fluid change, transmission oil change.
Personally I change engine oil every three thousand miles on our own Peugeot/Citroen TD engines. This treatment has taken our BX TZD estate to 220,000 miles on original engine/turbo, the head has never been off either.
Find a good 306TD and it will be very rewarding but be aware they can cost at this time in their life.
David
Re: Peugeot 306 XLDT - david lacey
Change the engine oil & filter every 6 mths/6000 miles.Also change the cambelt every 48000 miles and you'll be OK.Make sure the antifreeze is up to strength all year round.
Re: Peugeot 306 XLDT - Andrew Tarr
Andrew - as the two Davids imply, what has already been done to your car is more important than what you will do to it next. If it has had regular oil/filter/coolant/brake fluid/cambelt changes it should look after itself, giving 50 mpg or better. If the history is suspect you may be unlucky. Otherwise you should only suffer from usual wear-&-tear for a 7-year-old car. Good luck.