SORN - paul
Back roomers,

In late December 2001 the engine blew on my 12 year old car.

The tax was out too on 31/12/2002. I filled in the SORN and posted it at X mas

I kept the car on my drive, it would not even run, but it was still insured

In early Jan I scrapped the car - got £5 for the car at the scrapper, and swapped the insurance to my 'new' car.

This week the DLVA sent me a bill for £35.00 {or sim} for not taxing my car.

I don't own the car - its scap.

I filled in the SORN in late Dec 2001 and scrapped it in early jan 2002

What should I do ?

I bought a replacement car in early Jan 2002, and taxed it from 1 Jan 2002.

I have two cars, both taxed for 12 months. We do the government not persue the tax dodger / professional criminals?

Thanks

Paul
Re: SORN - Steve G
Sounds like you did everything correctly.
Did you scrap the car with a reputable scrapyard ? Did you send the V5 to swansea notifying them about scrapping the car?
If not maybe somebody repaired the car and is now driving it about untaxed and in your name.
Re: SORN - JohnL
It is the responsibility of the person who physically scraps the car to notify Swansea
Re: SORN - Dwight Van Driver
Paul

I would firstly withhold payment for the time being but take prompt action as follows.

If you live near one of DVLA 's Licensing Centres (not ConSICKnia)
then go along and have a face to face discussion on your problem.

If there isn't one fairly close then its down to pen and paper and snail mail. Explain, rationally, all in detail. If things are as you say and above board then you should not have to pay and despite what others may tell you, DVLC will listen.

DVD
Re: SORN - David Millar
Something not quite right here. If you sent off the SORN, you would normally not hear anything for another 12 months when a new declaration is required. Then when you scrapped the car, the buyer would take the major part of the V5 and give you the pink slip to return to Swansea. That completes your obligation. You don't explain what the £35 they want from you is for. Is it a penalty?

David
Re: SORN - Alwyn
I,000,000 letters go astray every week in UK, we are told.

I fail to see how they can ask for £35 just because, as seems likely in this case, yet another letter went astray.

Talk to them and point out that you sent the SORN and if they did not get it, that's nothing to do with you. The only way to be sure is to hand-deliver the SORN to Swansea.

Imagine the queue.
Re: SORN - CM
why didn't you take the tax disk to a PO and claim it back if it ran out on 31/12/2002 or did you mean 2001?
Re: SORN - paul
yep, I did mean that the road tax ran out in 2001

Ta all

Will get onto DVLA at the tomorrow