Accident at junction - whose fault? - Uncle Fester
GF turned left onto a major road, having spotted an approaching car some 100yds away to her right. (Decided it was safe to pull out, as she should have had 6 seconds or so before car arrived at junction).

Turns out the other driver was speeding (60mph in a 30 zone), and not even paying attention, and hit her in the rear before she'd gone 20 yards. Only warning was a two second screech of tyres as he skidded, before hitting rear of her car with his passenger door!

Impact damage to GF's car is at rear, including horizontal scrape marks. Marks on kerb 15 or so yards from junction where he shunted her up the pavement. No damage to front of other car. Other driver admitted speeding at the scene.

Call desk operator at insurers says, "you pulled out so its your fault" - although insurers have written to say they're trying to claim uninsured losses from other party. (Comprehensive insurance on GF's car)

I say she's not at fault, in that she would not reasonably expect a car at 100yds to be a hazard IF it were travelling at the prescribed speed (30mph) - and hence reasonably expected it to be "safe" to pull out.

Ideally, we'd like insurers to hold GF blamesless and recover all repair/total loss costs. Insurers have said we'd need to prove he was speeding, but seem reluctant to have both cars inspected

Advice / opinions?
Thanks!
Accident at junction - whose fault? - Micky
Contemporaneous notes, ...and the other driver said "Yes, I was speeding when I ran into your back-end"
Accident at junction - whose fault? - Wales Forester
If she had only got 20 yds from the junction before the impact then I would think that it's her fault. She failed to judge the speed of the oncoming vehicle and pulled out into it's path. The fact that he was speeding is something that would have to be proved.
Accident at junction - whose fault? - madf
"as she should have had 6 seconds or so before car arrived at junction).

Turns out the other driver was speeding (60mph in a 30 zone), and not even paying attention, and hit her in the rear before she'd gone 20 yards"

My simple arithmetic says she travelled 20 yards in 6 seconds: so an average speed of 7mph.. so travelling at around 14mpgh when hit
Now the average car manages 0-60mph in around 12 seconds so she should have been travelling at say 20-25mph after 6 seconds if she accelerated hard.

She obviously did not accelerate hard.

So imo her fault... misjsudged distance, did not accelerate hard enough,

Or looking another way: 60mph = 29 yards/second. GF was hit after 20 yards = less than 1 second away. So GF left junction when approaching car was at most 2 seconds away or 50 yards. Conclusion: her fault. Pulled out in front of approaching car/did not judge its speed correctly.

madf
">My simple arithmetic says she travelled 20 yards in 6 seconds: so an average speed of 7mph.. so travelling at around 14mpgh when hit <"

No, because accel is not constant.

">So GF left junction when approaching car was at most 2 seconds away or 50 yards. <"

No, because the decel of the other car is unknown.
To look at this from a slightly different angle - If you were travelling at 70mph on the motorway, and wanted to change lanes to overtake, you would be expected to judge the speed of the vehicles coming up behind you in the lane you require. So if there was a car approaching at 90mph you wouldn't pull out in front of it, would you?......
But you might pull out if it was travelling at twice the limit, 140mph.

The key is the statement from the other driver.
Accident at junction - whose fault? - local yokel
I have to disagree. The speeding driver was endangering other road users. His speed did not give him the time to respond to a marginal decision by the GF - he ran into her rear end, not her front end. At 30 mph his decision and stopping time would have been adequate, if needed at all. At 60 mph he had no chance.

If asked to adjudicate I'd make it 80% the speeder, 20% the GF.
Accident at junction - whose fault? - local yokel
Highway code gives:

30 mph - decision distance 9 m, stopping distance 30m = 39

60 mph - 19m, 55m = 74m

Approx double - and that's assuming good road conditions, and a driver that's paying attention - at 30 mph all it would have taken would have been a slight nudge on the brakes - no need to stop, as she was moving away, albeit perhaps at less than full chat.

From 60 mph he needed to bleed off most of his speed - certainly 40 mph, ie to 20 mph - and that's the bit that takes most of the time and distance.
Accident at junction - whose fault? - Another John H
Highway code gives:
30 mph - decision distance 9 m, stopping distance 30m =
60 mph - 19m, 55m = 74m
Approx double - and that's assuming good road conditions, and a
driver that's paying attention - at 30 mph all it would
have taken would have been a slight nudge on the brakes
- no need to stop, as she was moving away, albeit
perhaps at less than full chat.
From 60 mph he needed to bleed off most of his
speed - certainly 40 mph, ie to 20 mph - and
that's the bit that takes most of the time and distance.

I disagree with your figures.
The original (imperial) distances in the Highway code are calculated as speed in MPH squared, then divided by 20, to give stopping distance in feet:

30 x 30 = 900. 900/20 = 45 foot of rubber on the road, and the previous 30 feet is thinking distance, giving 75 feet in total.

60 x 60 = 3600. 3600/20 = 180 foot of rubber on the road, and the previous 60 feet is thinking distance, giving 240 feet in total.

It's a big difference, and even allowing for a modern car on a decent road surface which will significantly better the stopping distance figures (which were arrived at over 35 years ago to my knowledge), the business of speed squared still applies.

Unfortunately, the fact that the speeding driver agreed that he was speeding isn't worth anything, he could just as easily say to his insurance that the driver of the car that pulled out said she was sorry for pulling out so late.
Her word against his and vice-versa.
"> Unfortunately, the fact that the speeding driver agreed that he was speeding isn't worth anything,<"

You've missed the point completely (nothing new there then), the key phrase is "contemporaneous notes".
Notes taken at the time yes, and that would make what difference exactly? Obviously I'm missing the point completely - again.
Could you spell your point out Micky for those of us whose crystal balls are a tad hazy this evening?
">Notes taken at the time yes, and that would make what difference exactly? <"

Contemporaneous notes carry more weight in court.
When they're dated, timed and signed off in a policemans notebook yes, hard to prove legitimacy otherwise.
My 'point' is that you cannot prove that the notes were made at the time. If it was that easy, the driver who was speeding could easily make his own notes to suit.

I'm glad we've cleared that up.
Accident at junction - whose fault? - Bill Payer
I had a crash in very similar circumstances but it was me that was going 'a bit quick' and a car pulled out to turn right across me.

Police came (it was a biggish accident and road furniture was damaged although no injuries) and said my speed was irrlevant as other driver pulled out. They said they'd normally have done him for careless driving but as there was doubt about my speed they wouldn't in this case. His insurance paid out if full - it was a lot as well, my car was repaired (touch and go a write off) and I had a hire car for 3 months.
">When they're dated, timed and signed off in a policemans notebook yes, hard to prove legitimacy otherwise.<"
In court, a policeman's contemporaneous notes are as valid any other witnesses's contemporaneous notes.

">you cannot prove that the notes were made at the time.<"
I can and I have. It's generally easier when the other party agrees to sign the document at the scene of the accident.

">If it was that easy, the driver who was speeding could easily make his own notes to suit.<"
Fortunately, most people are too stupid to realise the importance of making contemporaneous notes.
Well that's all very interesting Micky, thanks for that.

I must remember to get the other driver to sign a statement at the roadside if I have an non fault accident, I'm sure it's just that easy, 'Yeah just sign there to say it's your fault mate, cheers'.

And the moral of the story is, 'most people are too stupid to realise the importance of making contemporaneous notes'. There endeth today's sermon.

">Well that's all very interesting Micky, thanks for that.<"
You're more than welcome.

">I must remember to get the other driver to sign a statement at the roadside if I have an non fault accident, I'm sure it's just that easy, 'Yeah just sign there to say it's your fault mate, cheers'.<"
If the other driver says sorry then you're part of the way there, some "people skills" needed though Peter.

"> And the moral of the story is, 'most people are too stupid to realise the importance of making contemporaneous notes'. There endeth today's sermon.<"
Sermon? Thanks Peter, does that mean that I am your religious leader?
lol
Accident at junction - whose fault? - AndrewMarc
Small point but wouldnt your own contemporaneous notes be disputed if not signed by independant person - barrister would pull to parts based on the fact that you have a very obvious interest in proving the speeding.
Accident at junction - whose fault? - sir_hiss
I was always under the impression that a rear end shunt was almost always the fault of the driver who hits you. The fact that they were not paying attention to vehicles possibly entering from side junction and have admitted to speeding at the scene at 2x the limit are big factors in this. Did local plod attend post accident ? They should be have been able to work out the speed of the other vehicle based on the marks left on the road.
Accident at junction - whose fault? - runboy
Interesting scenario-I've often wondered where you would stand if some pulled out of a junction in front of you then slammed on their brakes and you hit them up the rear.

I presume a witness would be your only saving grace?
Accident at junction - whose fault? - Leif
Interesting scenario-I've often wondered where you would stand if some pulled
out of a junction in front of you then slammed on
their brakes and you hit them up the rear.
I presume a witness would be your only saving grace?

That is my understanding. No witness, no joy.

Some while back I was at lights behind another car. Lights go green, front car speeds away then does sudden stop. I think the intention was to engineer a shunt followed by whiplash claim. But I always keep my distance. This sort of thing seemed to be commonplace a year or two ago when the ambulance chaser craze was at a peak.
Accident at junction - whose fault? - component part
I think it's the GF's fault mate. The speed of the other car is barely relavent in this situation-how does your GF or anyone else drive? If you're in a NSL zone you assume a car is doing 60mph, if you're in a 30mph zone you assume the cars are doing 30mph? No, at a junction you slow down or stop as needed, observe, judge the speed of oncoming traffic, check the other way is clear, observe the oncoming traffic again and stop/go as per judgement. It was her error of judgement plain and simple.

The only time you can sympathise in a case like this is if for example, the speeding car rounded a bend at well over the limit, and you had already pulled out because the way was clear-if you can see the vehicle coming then you judge it's speed, regardless of the limit. Just because the driver was speeding-that's like saying if you do 85mph on the nice clear motorway, then do 27mph through the village and have someone cause an accident, that it's partly your fault because you wouldn't have been there if you hadn't sped earlier. You don't expect a car to be doing 60mph in a 30mph limit, but that's driving for you-things that aren't expected do happen which is where defensive driving and safety margins come in. The fact that you GF thought she had '6 seconds' before the car arrived, when in reality she had about hmmm..zero seconds...shows how far off her judgement was, or how she never even observed the car properly.

If I had crashed like that, I'd be blaming myself, for sure-hell I've lumbered out in front of a few people before, genuine misjudgements on my part-but I've never caused any accidents thankfully.
Accident at junction - whose fault? - Lud
People who have run into other cars often lie or massage the facts.

People who pull out in front of cars travelling at some speed often fail to floor it in all gears as reason dictates that they should. The thought process is something like, I'm here now, it's up to them not to hit me. Can be a big mistake.

However 60 in a 30 zone, if true, is a bit much if the guy is careless as well.
Accident at junction - whose fault? - Benjurs73
Same thing happened to my g/f now SWMBO!

She pulled out of the junction and got a car right up her 'arris! Bloke admitted he was speeding but his missus got out of the car and was very abusive and threatening.

Luckerly I was only 4 mins away and told her to lock the door and call the police. As it happens a local plod was passing and the 'madame' and I use this term very loosely ! suddenly decided she had whiplash coming on.....

Funny how she managed to leap out the car and thump on my g/f's window.

Result - G/F fault for pulling out of a junction and the Insurance company didn't want to hear a word about his 'confession'.

Never did find out what happened to the battleaxe re compo but I'm sure that Karma will come full circle and give her some payback.

Sorry to the OP but your insurance company will have to bite the bullet IMHO.

Cheers

Benjurs
Accident at junction - whose fault? - ablandy
morally GF is in the right, legally in the wrong, in my opinion. By that i do not mean the other driver was in the right though.

Completely disregarding the above, the biggest mistake she made was assuming the speed of the oncoming car and pulling out without first checking the speed of the car. By doing this she put herself in danger.

Its better to hesitate for a second if unsure (even if the idiots behind beep you for not going) and ensure you are safe before proceeding.

Reminds me of a Gordon Brittas joke about walking out in front of a juggernaut on a zebra crossing and getting run over -"because he had right of way".

Accident at junction - whose fault? - Sim-O
...suddenly decided she had whiplash coming on.....

Funny how she managed to leap out the car and thump on my g/f's window.

I'm not defending this womans actions, but I put my parents car on it's roof once, after about half an hour I lost movement and feeling in both hands. Trying to get my wallet out of my back pocket to show plod my licence and couldn't grip it.
Stuff doesn't have to happen immediatley.
Accident at junction - whose fault? - No FM2R
For it to be worth a fight there has to be the possibility of a 100% decision. Essentially even if your girlfriend's insurance company pay out 50% of the damage then she'll still lose her bonus.

She pulled out in front of him, so it starts out being her fault. If she could prove he was speeding then probably some of the negligence would be deemed to be his and may cause the blame to be shared. This may give her some emotional satisfaction wbut will make litle or no financial difference.

If I had to fight her case of the other guy's, I'd probably win the other guy's.

Your notes are worth the paper they're written on, but not much more. The third party could have thrown himself at your feet and begged for forgiveness for speeding, it wouldn't make much difference. Even an apology is only taken as a potential indicator rather than proof of fault. Contemperaneous notes are worth a little more than notes taken later, but again not much - sounds cool though, doesn't it.

I suspect that she will lose her bonus, fail to recover her uninsured losses and indeed her insurer may well end up covering the other person's losses. It won't go to court, nobody cares enough, you'll never be called as a witness by Perry Mason and your much vaulted notes will gradually fade in a file somewhere.

Aside from that, she pulled out in front of a car having *assumed* what it was doing, rather than actually looking and seeing. I truly do not believe that she sat there and thought "oh, I have 6 seconds, that will be sufficient", 100 yards is not far and its certainly close enough to work out what speed a car is doing. She shouldn't have assumed it was doing 30mph, she should have checked. So she wouldn't be on for a whole bunch of sympathy from me, I'm afraid.
Accident at junction - whose fault? - Waino
Yes, we have this situation every day at the bottom of our road where we have to pull out of a junction - and we have to make a decision based on whether oncoming traffic is speeding or not as it comes over the crest of a hill. We have speed limits in built-up areas because there are more hazards such as people leaving side roads - if drivers haven't the sense to slow down, then we need more cameras and steeper fines. Obvious, ain't it?
p.s. a bit of confusion on my part about who owns/spoke about notes etc. Sorry, but they stripped my edit button when they snapped my sword and DD ran off with the remains of the ploughmans.
Accident at junction - whose fault? - BobbyG
Am I missing something here? The OP, UncleFester, does not mention anywhere that his GF has written notes from the other driver saying he was speeding. He just remarks that he admiited he was speeding.
It is other contributors who have brought up the subject of signed statements!

Or am I missing something?

Anyway, IMHO, taking the speeding aside, if you are pulling out of a junction and you see another car, then it surely must be up to you to decide whether the other car is stationary, moving, speeding or whatever? It looks like she has spotted a car, assumed it is too far away and pulled out, all in the one movement, maybe even not from a stationary point ie. has came up to the junction switched down to second, a quick glance and then pulled out?
Accident at junction - whose fault? - L'escargot
It's controversional incidents like this that show the value of acquiring a good record and then getting a protected NCD. If you do then happen to be involved in an accident apportioning blame becomes of little or no importance. I'm just pleased I'm in the position of being able to let my insurance company sort things. It's what I pay them for.
--
L\'escargot.
>>Am I missing something here?

Yes. The note I wrote at 8:16, almost an hour before you missed something.
Accident at junction - whose fault? - Cliff Pope
A person waiting at a junction and considering whether to pull out or not is presumed to be capable of judging the speed of any oncoming vehicle. It is not a precise judgement, but the over-riding caution is, if in doubt, wait. I don't think the large excess of 60 over 30 actually helps your GF's case. If she can't judge that difference, what speed can she judge? Would she have spotted that he was doing say 80 or 100 mph, or still pulled out regardless?

Even having the right of way does not give someone the right to deliberately put one's vehicle in the path of another. And she did not have right of way.
Accident at junction - whose fault? - Sheepy-by-the-Sea
Funny, but before speed cameras came along nobody would ever assume another vehicle was doing 30mph.........

The GF sounds like a typical example of a 'quick glance' driver; being a motorcyclist, I see these every day; as I keep my speed down I usually watch them perform their antics in front of me - I wish the recent 'take time to look for bikes' had been more general, i.e. TAKE TIME TO LOOK !!!!!

Perversely, I often see the opposite effect; many drivers see a bike's light and expect it to be speeding - they sit there waiting when they had plenty of time to pull out.

Unfortunately our driving culture is one of 'right of way' and 'blame'. It really isn't as simple as that; people make mistakes, people get carried away, all it takes is for two such people to be in the same road space and bang, another 'accident'.
Accident at junction - whose fault? - Uncle Fester
>>The GF sounds like a typical example of a 'quick glance' driver; being a motorcyclist, I see these every day...

Defintely take issue with that! Being in a car with a "quick-glance" friend of hers who nearly stopped a motorcyclist "dead" taught her that one. She stops at "give way" lines (even gaining the odd toot from someone behind who expects her to breeze through), and spots ALL motorcycles/cycles/cars/pedestrians - including the spotty kids on mopeds with no lights!

I hadn;t said she assumed he was doing 30mph... and she didn't sit there and calcuate empirically the approach vector of the other vehicle, as another poster suggested - rather saw the vehicle, and judged (according to her knowledge of the road from travelling along it herself) thaht she had time to pull out. An earlier post went into the maths, but I think mossed up somewhere - too late to go into the matchs myself though.

Yes, she ASSUMED the other vehicle was far enough away - a friend of mine in the local constabulary thinks the issue is with the layout of the road - the approaching vehicle's speed would not be apparent due to the course of its approach.

Anyways, thanks for all the feedback - latest is that the other driver has reported the incident as happening THREE DAYS later - our insurers thiunk he's maybe uninsured!! At least I have his address
Fes
Accident at junction - whose fault? - Lud
what speed
can she judge? Would she have spotted that he was doing
say 80 or 100 mph, or still pulled out regardless?

People are carp at judging speed. Never mind my own experience, which cost me, of some fool coming out of a side turning to turn right, finding he couldn't because of traffic in the other carriageway, and stopping 40 yards ahead of me as I passed some other cars in the wet on a fastish bit of A road.

At Mike Hawthorn's inquest, an elderly pedestrian witness, according to Robb Walker who had been racing him home from the pub in his 300SL (Hawthorn being in a heavily tweaked 3.8 Jaguar), was asked what speed the cars had seemed to be doing. The geezer replied indignantly that 'Ooh, they must have been doing 80'.

Robb Walker thought this was because the guy probably couldn't conceive of a higher speed, and in typical heartless rich guy fashion thought it was quite funny.

I am not dissing either Walker or Hawthorn by the way. They were friends, Hawthorn was World Champion at the time and they can both be assumed to have known what they were doing. Walker thought Hawthorn as Champion simply couldn't stand being passed by someone who wasn't, and overdid it.
">Contemperaneous notes are worth a little more than notes taken later, but again not much<"

Really? The Guildford Four might disagree with you, and the Court of Appeal.

">- sounds cool though, doesn't it.<"

What's "cool" got to do with it?
Accident at junction - whose fault? - Dalglish
nofm2r said:
>>..Contemperaneous notes are worth a little more than notes taken later, but again not much ..

contemporaneos notes
i prefer the words of justice stanley burnton, who in passing judgement, said in 2002:

"Where there is inconsistency between contemporaneous notes and a subsequent witness statement, I prefer the former unless there is reason to doubt their accuracy. ..."

>>Really? The Guildford Four might disagree with you, and the Court of Appeal.

I'm afraid I am not familiar with that incident, did they collide at a road junction ?

8< SNIP

This and loads of other pointless / argumentative comments removed.

DD.
If the original post was correct that the oncoming vehicle was 100 yards away, then IMO I would pull out as that is a huge distance. There are numerous roads locally where you can't see more than 100 yards, and so have to pull out onto a B road with a 60 limit and hope someone isn't doing more than 60. Even so I get hooted and/or flashed. (No doubt they do not see the signs warning of a side road, do not notice the poor visibility due to a corner, and hurtle on at the limit regardless.)

But, unless there is a witness .... there is no proof that it was 100 yards, or that the oncoming vehicle was speeding.
Accident at junction - whose fault? - cheddar
If the original post was correct that the oncoming vehicle was
100 yards away, then IMO I would pull out as that
is a huge distance. >>

Distance is not the issue, it is time that is the issue, speed / distance = time.

The driver who pulled out was at fault for not judging the speed of the oncoming vehicle, it is a matter of due care, after all she could have been pulling out onto a 60 limit road where an oncoming vehicle may be doing 20 or some what over 60.

Aside from this the oncoming driver was at fault for speeding and will, one assumes, be prosecuted if his speed can be proven.
>> If the original post was correct that the oncoming vehicle
was
>> 100 yards away, then IMO I would pull out as
that
>> is a huge distance. >>
Distance is not the issue, it is time that is the
issue, speed / distance = time.

Well yes obviously. 100 yards/metres is a large distance and would have given plenty of time to the speeder to respond if needed. Clearly he/she was not only greatly exceeding the limit (if the original poster is correct) but was not paying attention. Exactly the sort of driver who should not speed.

As to how easy it is to judge speed of a car 100m away, well who knows.

Leif
Accident at junction - whose fault? - TrevorH
Distance is not the issue, it is time that is the
issue, speed / distance = time.

[pedant mode = on]
distance / speed = time
;-)
(Decided it was safe
to pull out, as she should have had 6 seconds or
so before car arrived at junction).

It would take someone like Carol Vorderman to make a calculation like that under the circumstances that prevailed!
--
L\'escargot.
Accident at junction - whose fault? - turbo11
suppose its too late to ask if there were any witnesses.
Accident at junction - whose fault? - Altea Ego
There is no argument here folks. She pulled out of a minor road, onto a major road. Assuming there were give way markings/signs or stop markings/signs - she did neither.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Accident at junction - whose fault? - Fullchat
Some interesting arguments have been raised particularly in relation to speeding vehicles approaching obscured junctions where a decision is made to exit a junction because there are no other vehicles visible at that time. Therefore a speeding vehicle is contributory to the collision or even the cause.
Where a driver has pulled out of a junction infront of a vehicle that has been seen then they are clearly at fault as they have not made any judgement as to the speed of the oncoming vehicle before making the decision to pull out.
As I have said before in reply to someone whose excuse is, " The other car was speeding." - "Do you always pull out infront of cars that are speeding?" or " If you had seen the car was speeding why did you pull out infront of it?"
--
Fullchat
As a general comment on the subject of pulling out at a junction, I think that if nothing else it's selfish to pull out when it means that another driver has to slow down to avoid hitting you.
--
L\'escargot.
As a general comment on the subject of pulling out at
a junction, I think that if nothing else it's selfish to
pull out when it means that another driver has to slow
down to avoid hitting you.
--
L\'escargot.

True. But here in Luton it is commonplace for someone to pull out of a side road, forcing oncoming traffic to brake sharply. I see it all the time, and it happens to me. It's amazing. In one instance, I did not stop to let someone out of a side road, and I received a version of "bottom opening" shouted at me from the other driver. It's also common for someone to exit a side road, and then block one lane of the main road, waiting for the opportunity to move into the opposite lane.

My view is that there is no enforcement of driving standards in Luton hence standards are poor.
............ it is commonplace for someone to
pull out of a side road, forcing oncoming traffic to brake
sharply.

Courtesy on the road is, by and large, a thing of the past. The general attitude is "I'm alright , Jack."
--
L\'escargot.
Accident at junction - whose fault? - component part
>> ............ it is commonplace for someone to
>> pull out of a side road, forcing oncoming traffic to
brake
>> sharply.
Courtesy on the road is, by and large, a thing of
the past. The general attitude is "I'm alright , Jack."
--
L\'escargot.

I can concur with that. Driving home this evening, I was overtaking a truck-well, I was in the outside lane of a two lane dual road (A1 outside Stamford). I was doing a good 75ish. A car had pulled out of a slip road and the truck was coming up to that-this car was not going dead slow, we're talking 45mph+ and accelerating. The truck driver whacked on his indicators as I was about level with the rear of his trailer, and I had a 20mph+ speed advantage. I continued with my overtake (he actually started to change lane while I still going past) and got treated to extended full beams and probably gesticulation from this truck driver, presumably because he thought I should have scrubbed off 25mph just to let him crawl past a car-I don't get what the guys problem was-if you are being over taken you just have to slow down until they have passed. Seriously, it wasn't like this car had just stopped in front of him, it was only going a few mph slower than the truck.
">I was doing a good 75ish. <"

Of course, if you had been travelling at - say - 100mph, you would have swept majestically past the greasy truck driver before he had the chance to pull out on you. Proof - if proof were needed - that speeding saves lives.
Accident at junction - whose fault? - RichProc
Back to the situation that the original poster explained - surely if your girlfried hasn't yet said anything about the exact circumstances to her insurer e.g. filled in an accident report form, then the accident was in fact, she was driving along no problems on a regular road, at the speed limit, a dog ran out, she hit the brakes, bang straight up the back by another dozy driver. No witnesses to say anything to the contrary, the insurance company find the other driver guilty?

No brainer?

Rich
Accident at junction - whose fault? - Gordon Hanna

Last input was 12 years ago but nothing changes.

My 59 year old wife was T-boned coming out of a junction and has no recollection of what happened.

The other vehicle pushed her car 16m up the road and she had to be cut free from the wreckage. She has Serious Head injuries sustained.

The other driver 29 had a broken left ankle. Also following an appeal for witnesses from the police as the accident was early morning in an industrial area this produced no witnesses to the actual crash but one other driver filed a report of an incident he had had with the other driver just 1 or 2 minutes before he crested a small hill 100 yards from the junction.

Had the other driver been doing the 30mph limit he could have stopped easily and sounded his horn/ called obscenities but instead he hit her and pushed her car the 16m.

All the Police will say is Speed was a factor.

256mb of evidence of videos photographs and a police report and all the copy boy at the insurers will say is it was her fault she pulled out.

Two questions to the insurers

When asked what is more likely

A 59 year old woman pull out at a junction if she saw a white SUV with headlights just 100 yards away. - He did not know any reason!

Could a driver stop a SUV in 100yds if he just came over the hill doing almost double the 30mph speed limit?

To be continues but thoughts welcome as insurers have none other than it was her fault.

Accident at junction - whose fault? - Manatee

I'm very sorry to hear of your wife's injuries. I would be very angry too.

In the absence of any witnesses I wouldn't expect anything else from the insurers.

Unfortunately, if your wife pulled out on another car and they collided, the starting assumption is that it's her fault. You would need proof to the contrary, which you, and possibly nobody, can provide. Even if some fault was ascribed to the other party, your wife would probably be judged to have contributed.

Perhaps the police have considered whether there is enough evidence to prosecute for speeding - I don't know whether 30mph would be enough to shove another car 16m down the road, but it sounds unlikely. But even if action was taken, it's almost certain that the punishment would seem trivial compared with what your wife, and you, have suffered.

Does blame now really matter? Past events can't be changed and your wife's health is what matters. I sincerely hope she recovers fully, and soon.

Edited by Manatee on 01/11/2018 at 10:15

Accident at junction - whose fault? - Hugh Watt

Excellent post by Manatee, with which I concur and of course extend sympathy.

Accident at junction - whose fault? - badbusdriver

If it is an industrial area, surely there would be some sort of CCTV coverage?. Might be worth having a look around the area yourself to see if you can spot any camera's. In theory the Police will have checked, but with budget and manpower cut's......?

But i wish your wife a full recovery.

/

But your wife has my sympathies and i hope she makes a full recovery. My wife was involved in two serious accidents when she was younger, both of which could easily have killed her.