Reporting diesel spillage - bazza
Hi Folks
Just been out on the bike before it pours down later, came across a diesel spill down a main road for a good 3 miles or so, obviously a truck or something leaking. Does anyone know how I can report it and to whom? On a bike it's a significant hazard.
Cheers
Baz
Reporting diesel spillage - neil
Yep - Police, asap! Report it as dangerous road surface ands explain why - they will have council attend and sign/clean up/sand.

This applies to gravel, potholes etc as well, any road hazard.

Do it now before some other biker finds it the hard way!

Regards

Neil

Reporting diesel spillage - Roger Jones
Yes, report to the police, but do emphasize the safety issue very strongly. I reported fly-tipping to the police a few months ago and their interest was lukewarm until I had explained more than once that the stuff had been dropped along a quarter of of a mile of road (the unspeakable obviously drove along with his tipper up) and, among other things, left timber on the road with nails sticking up out of it.
Reporting diesel spillage - LeighB
Yes, police asap.
In my experience this is one situation where they seem to respond quite quickly. It was not a diesel spill as such but a great quantity of small plastic beads spilled on a roundabout. This produced an effect similar to sheet ice! We came on the scene as 2 bikes had met these and had total traction failure, fortunately at low speed. After checking no-one was injured I rang police, managed to get through quickly and a patrol car was there within 10 mins.
Reporting diesel spillage - eProf
Is there a general number that avoids using 999 to report a similar road hazard? I've been out of the country for a couple of decades so I have a bit of catching up to do!
--
e Prof
Reporting diesel spillage - Roly93
A couple of years ago I was returning home on a lane which I use almost every day. I was taking a gentle bend at a moderate speed and all of a sudden I completely and utterly lost control of my Passat and it was only the fact that nothing was coming the other way, that I avoided a horrendous crash. I did report this to the council, but my theory is that there is a gravel quarry a few hundred metres away, and as this is the first bend their lorries come to after filling up, this is where the problem lies !
Reporting diesel spillage - bazza
Thanks folks, to update, I rang the local police station and reported it. Pretty helpful about it and was told they call out the council to assess/clear etc. Just drove the same road and I think the torrential rain this afternoon has helped flush it away. I wonder how many bikes come to grief on the stuff, a nasty problem that needs more publicity.
Reporting diesel spillage - cheddar
I did it the other day:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=45...8

An hour later there was sand on the road.