Honda Accord diesel pump failures? - Quicksilver
For those people who might be interested. My Accord Diesel Tourer, (April 2004) with 57k miles suffered a fuel pump fault which required a new pump. The new pump was supplied under warranty, (lease car). Dealer service was excellent but the price of the replacement pump was over GBP1,000.00 + VAT and fitting. No something I would like to have to pay myself!! As other people have said these new common rail high pressure systems are very expensive when something goes wrong.

I did look to see where the new pump is. It looks like it is a BOSCH pump attached the bulkhead engine firewall. Anybody else had their Accord diesel need a new pump?

Q.
Honda Accord diesel pump failures? - tr7v8
If it's on the bulkhead then it doesn't sound like the high pressure pump.
Yup seriously expensive, what would you've have thought when it's 5-6 years and worth 4-5K & someone tells you it needs a grands worth of new pump! Been there done that got the T shirt never again!
Honda Accord diesel pump failures? - Bill Payer
what would you've have thought when it's 5-6
years and worth 4-5K & someone tells you it needs a
grands worth of new pump! Been there done that got the
T shirt never again!

Never mind 5-6 yrs, when it's 8-9 yrs old a bill that might write the car off - one of the many things in cars now that seem designed to 'time-bomb' them.

In that situation is there a cheaper solution or is a new pump from the dealer really the only option?
Honda Accord diesel pump failures? - Armitage Shanks {p}
I could point anybody interested in the direction of a pump refurb man in Swansea. My partner's Saab needed a pump at £1800 and I got it done for £900 with a 1 year warranty. The car was worth about £2.5K at the time!
Honda Accord diesel pump failures? - Aprilia
I could point anybody interested in the direction of a pump
refurb man in Swansea. My partner's Saab needed a pump
at £1800 and I got it done for £900 with a
1 year warranty. The car was worth about £2.5K at
the time!

I don't think CR pumps are currently being rebuilt. The pump you refer to was presumably an old-style Bosch rotary pump.
Honda Accord diesel pump failures? - cheddar
>>what would you've have thought when it's 5-6 years and worth 4-5K & someone tells you it needs a grands worth of new pump!>>

Well if at 5 years old it has done 100k + and you have had it from new, or perhaps from a year old and 20k miles, it would have saved you between £3000 and £5000 in fuel costs alone over a petrol variant.
Honda Accord diesel pump failures? - daveyjp
It's a becoming a misconception that this part has become expensive due to common rail technology - it hasn't. This has always been an expensive part on diesel engines. 7 years ago I owned a Fiesta 1.8D which had a cambelt failure. This could have damaged the fuel injector pump, quote for the part was £600 +VAT. Fortunately mine was OK, but if it hadn't have been the scrapper could have been calling.
Honda Accord diesel pump failures? - bbroomlea{P}
>>Never mind 5-6 yrs, when it's 8-9 yrs old a bill that might write the car off - one of the many things in cars now that seem designed to 'time-bomb' them.

Exact thing happened to my 75 CDT at 7 years old. High pressure fuel pump failure and a damaged ECU pretty much at the same time (one must have took the other out) . Either a bill for £2000 or get rid of the car. I ended up trading it in as it would run - just (nearly pushed it onto the forecourt!!)

Having said that, it had done nearly 230,000 miles and I got the same trade in price that I paid for it 2 years ago so not all was lost.

Honda Accord diesel pump failures? - Greg R
I saw on Autotrader (a programme on the discovery channel) that the accords also have turbo failure problems. I think the pumps go more now as the CRT needs the pump to work harder!

The Accord is a really nice car, but the legend I saw in the showroom is really amazing!

Greg
It's a becoming a misconception that this part has become expensive
due to common rail technology - it hasn't. This has
always been an expensive part on diesel engines. 7 years
ago I owned a Fiesta 1.8D which had a cambelt failure.
This could have damaged the fuel injector pump, quote for
the part was £600 +VAT. Fortunately mine was OK, but
if it hadn't have been the scrapper could have been calling.

Its not a misconception at all. The Fiesta 1.8D you refer to would have had an old-style Bosch or RotoDiesel pump. These are fairly simple and reliable beasts and provide the pumping and metering function. They are pretty reliable and fairly easy to diagnose and rebuild. The modern CR systems is vastly more complex and the HP pump is just one of several very expensive components which can fail. The worry is that the failed pump may give rise to future problems 'downstream'.
In that situation is there a cheaper solution or is a
new pump from the dealer really the only option?

AFAIK the only solution is brand new from agent/distributor, or a secondhand item - which is a bit risky IMHO. Also they are not ideal for DIY work (to say the least) so you need to allow for some expert labour on top.