Exhaust repair - Peugeot 306 - Alan G
My Peugeot 306 has a small leak in the front exhaust pipe close to the lambda sensor, can this be sealed using putty and will this be adequate for the mot test ?
Alan.
Exhaust repair - Chris S
I've fixed holes like this with putty and the car's past the test (the repair has to be gas-tight).

Unfortunately the putty fell out soon afterwards though!
Exhaust repair - Peugeot 306 - piston power
it will only get worse and drop off!! why not replace the part? there cheap enough, putty is a poor repair and when they pressureize the exhaust by putting there hand over the rear silencer the back pressure will expose the failed putty, end of the day it up to you! good luck.
Exhaust repair - Peugeot 306 - Number_Cruncher
>>they pressureize the exhaust by putting there hand over the rear silencer

I don't think that's an acceptable thing for an MOT tester to do, i.e., I don't think it's in the tester's manual. (Although I could be wrong!)

Number_Cruncher
Exhaust repair - Peugeot 306 - RichardW
If the front pipe is otherwise in good nick, it may well be possible to weld a patch on it - I've put one on my Xantia recently (and the hole was about 1" wide and 2" long by the time I knocked the rust out) - should get another 10k out of the exhaust.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Exhaust repair - Peugeot 306 - yorkiebar
Not part of the mot test to put hand over end to test for pressure.

It's a visible check for leaks (more than slight at joints) combined with an emissionss reading which will be odd if there is a major leak of exhaust gases.

Exhaust putty is acceptable as a repair if it seals the blow, as long as the rest of the exhaust system is in a generally sound condition.
Exhaust repair - Peugeot 306 - GregSwain
According to an MOT tester i know, even exhaust-repair bandages are acceptable. As long as there's no visible leaks, and the exhaust is securely attached to the car, they can't fail it surely!
Exhaust repair - Peugeot 306 - Alan G
I was quoted £67 for a front pipe today, which I can't afford, my local assessory shop wouldn't sell me any product to fix the leak due to the fact it could damage the Cat if it got inside the pipe, I will probably have it welded.
Thanks
Alan
Exhaust repair - Peugeot 306 - Dynamic Dave

www.motuk.co.uk/manual_710.htm

"A durable repair to an exhaust system which effectively prevents leaks is acceptable providing the system is structurally sound."

"A minor exhaust leak from, for example, a connection joint or a pin hole, is not a Reason for Rejection."