This year's advisory is next year's fail - Steptoe
I had an advisory last year on the Volvo's front discs, to the effect that they were getting thin.

Now they have lasted 235K miles and I've only done about 2K since last year, the car having been SORN'd since May so the thin-ness should hardly have increased (or should that be decreased?) so I took a chance and put it through again, however this year it was a fail.

I'm not grumbling, it's a fair cop, the tester is actually *very* fair with my vehicles, it is just a snag with the computerised system, there is no chance of him forgetting last year's advisories and re-issuing them.

Unfortunately this year's advisory is a steering rack inner ball joint so, unless this bit is available separately, next year will be the end of the road.

----------------------------------------------

One mans junk is another mans treasure
This year's advisory is next year's fail - defender
hi steptoe the steering rack inner ball joint on a volvo rack is very easy to change as it just screws in to the end of the piston,just watch out for the little locking clip to keep it tight ,sorry cant remember price but not too expensive or you could get a rack from a breaker as they are easy to change
what model car is it ?
just had a look on gsf parts ,for a 740 cost would be<£15 so not too bad
This year's advisory is next year's fail - Steptoe
defender

Very many thanks for that bit of good news, I was anticipating an exchange rack circa £200, the probable value of the car, which is indeed a 740
----------------------------------------------

One mans junk is another mans treasure
there are 2 thread sizes ,14mm and 18mm just make sure you get the right one
good luck with it and many miles of happy motoring with it,best car ever made
This year's advisory is next year's fail - Cliff Pope
It's not an invariable rule, but of course it does rather draw the tester's attention to the component. Testers do vary individually, and one man's advisory may well be let pass by someone else. I recently had an advisory on a missing heat shield (failed on something else). At the re-test a week later a different tester said the heat shield wasn't meant to be there anyway. I don't know if he was able to "delete" the advisory, but anyway he didn't issue one.
This year's advisory is next year's fail - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
I'd a number of advisories at my last MOT in a local garage.
I Agreed that the rear discs on the Passat were rather worn so I'd them done by the very local ATS.
Rusty brake pipe and low brake fluid were also reported.

Had a couple of services in the main VW dealer since and nothing untoward has been mentioned. Guess who will do the next MOT?

And the fluid level was bang on the maximum for the earlier MOT.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.