Variable servicing charges. - oldgit
My VW Golf is coming up for its first variable service, which I'm having done about 2 months short of the actual time indicated (as this will be more convenient for me).

Elsewhere, on various VW websites I have been told that the time required for this service is 0.9 hours of labour and that the price should not be > £150 max. On booking my car in at the main dealer, from whom I bought said car, I was told that the cost would be £259 and this was based on 1.5 hours labour.

I have phoned other VW main dealers within a 15 mile radius and have been quoted an even higher figure than this but never less. I've also emailed others, but it seems their policy to ignore my emails requesting a quote for this service.

I, for convenience, don't want to travel to all ends of the country in order to save money and so will go ahead with my nearest VW dealership, of course.
Variable servicing charges. - bhoy wonder
My first service was at 16000 miles on a 54 Passat 130. It cost me £239. The dealer is based in Glasgow.
Variable servicing charges. - Stargazer {P}
55 reg Passat TDI 130 17000 miles first service on variable servicing. quoted 255 on phone, paid 225 when picking up the car. 146 labour, 45 parts/oil from memory plus VAT. Oxofrd dealership. was reasonably happy with service, car returned cleaned inside and out, two rattles fixed and all in 3 hours elapsed time.

StarGazer
Variable servicing charges. - Falkirk Bairn
Remember you can go to any bona fide garage - franchised or independent and get the servicing done.

MY local Independent charges £30 + VAT per hour

This does not invalidate your warranty assuming the rights grade of oils & Genuine filters are used

Yours is a VW garage - phone the local Skoda outlet and any recommended by friends - parts are common in all VAG cars
Variable servicing charges. - daveyjp
About £250 on the A3 at 16,500. This did include a replacement pollen filter which was about £50.
Variable servicing charges. - Aprilia
These services basically comprise and oil and filter change, plugs on a petrol engine, pollen filter plus a whole lot of basic checks. I think air filter and brake/clutch fluid is done at 24 or 48 months irrespetive of mileage, and costs extra. 1.5 hours is probably about right, but at £250 its awfully expensive for such rudimentary service work. I'd be inclined to get an OEM pollen filter from ECP (£13) and put in in myself (pretty easy) rather than pay £50 to VW,
Variable servicing charges. - Bill Payer
These services basically comprise and oil and filter change, plugs on
a petrol engine, pollen filter plus a whole lot of basic
checks.

I'd be astonished if they changed the plugs and pollen filter at every service.

On my daughters Ibiza (VW 3 cyl engine) plugs are at 40K/4yrs.
Variable servicing charges. - GregSwain
On my daughters Ibiza (VW 3 cyl engine) plugs are at
40K/4yrs.

I'd change them every year, or every 2 at the most - it can't do the engine any good running on 4-year-old plugs - I doubt the spark would be very strong by then.
Variable servicing charges. - Aprilia
I'd be astonished if they changed the plugs and pollen filter
at every service.
On my daughters Ibiza (VW 3 cyl engine) plugs are at
40K/4yrs.

No, you misunderstood. I was just talking in general, didn't mean plugs would be changed at every service. I think airfilter and plugs are at about 40k, as you say. Most LL services will be basically oil+ filter and checks. I think pollen filter is quite often, every year or two?
Variable servicing charges. - stunorthants
I recently got quotes for the up and coming first service on my Suzuki Carry van due at 9000 miles.
My supplying dealer in Northampton ( who has already been a huge let down ) quoted me £215 and I have to say, their telephone manner leaves alot to be desired aswell as their service.

I knew of another dealer up at Kettering, which from my side of town, is only another 20 mins further away thatn my local dealer. I rang them up and not only did they manage to say good morning ( it was too much effort for the other one ) but they quoted me a very reasonable £152 to boot.

It may cost me a few more pennies in petrol and a bit more of my time getting there, but im saving £63 and hopefully, getting better customer service into the bargin.

All that said, a small service on my Mazda 323 at my local one-man place cost me £78 ( oil/filter, fuel filter, rocket cover gasket change, clutch adjustment and replace bottom radiator hose ) which seems far more reasonable and the minute my van is outta warranty, he will be getting the servcing work for that too.
Variable servicing charges. - Altea Ego
Pollen filters are usually changed every service. Quite right too they quickly get full of muck and hamper the airflow badly
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Variable servicing charges. - GregSwain
Pollen filters are usually changed every service. Quite right too they
quickly get full of muck and hamper the airflow badly

I wouldn't be surprised if there are lots of people who don't routinely change them, because they're often located in the most ridiculous places. For example in my Almera, you need to remove the glovebox, take a hacksaw to the plastic behind it (the template for cutting is marked), and then remove the 2-piece filter one bit at a time. Madness! The part and labour would probably come to £50 if done at a main dealer.