Hoarding - BobH
SWMBO & daughters are ruthless in throwing out anything that they are fed up with. My son and I pile everything in the garage or loft.

Looking through my garage I came across many motor spares and tools that I know I will probably never use again, but I?ll keep just in case. ? rusted feeler gauges, Whitworth spanners, micrometers, engineer?s blue ? 6v car bulbs. Is there anything more redundant than a slide rule?

Is it a gender thing, do all men hoard?

BobH
Re: Hoarding - markymarkn
yes they do!

It's all to do with law-of-sod theory, because as soon as you bin something, you know a week later you will need it again for some reason!

From my experience, women want everything to look tidy, in place and out of the way. That is no 1 priority. Men however, tidy things away in practicality order and where everything is at hand for easy access.

I'll get shouted at now! You know you all agree!

M.
Re: Hoarding - Steve G
LOL BobH , sounds just like my garage !
Another problem is my garage has a attic and after restoring 3 MGB's over the last decade has become full of knackered MG parts. I could probably build a complete MGB just from using parts from the attic !
Will i throw it all a way ? no way, just like markymarkn said sods law will kick in.....
Re: Hoarding - Tim Allcott
If people didn't hoard, we wouldn't end up with all these 'barn fresh' projects to restore that come onto the market!
Re: Hoarding - mazza
It is the opposite in our house. SWMBO won't throw anything of hers out but is quick to try and get rid of any of my old junk (of which there isn't much)!
Re: Hoarding - Ian Cook
Blimey, Bob - have you been spying round our house?

When we moved 5 years ago I had a ruthless clear out and ditched loads, including a lot of the "useful" junk I salvaged when my Dad died 10 years ago. Now, he could hoard for England!

What did we need a couple of months ago, when lifting out a stone gate post? Dad's chain hoist. Where was it? At the tip, of course!

He would have been proud of me this week, though. The local aerial riggers came to replace the wind damaged gear on the roof. When they got it down I noticed that the poles were aluminium. That'll come in handy, I thought - I so I sawed it all apart and stowed it away. I'll let you know if I ever use it.

Anyone want 4 almost unused mountain bike tyres?

Ian
Re: Hoarding - ian (cape town)
My dad bought himself a huge shed last year, as the (double) garage was getting too cluttered with junk ...
Now he has a shed full of junk, AND a garage full of junk.
The old dear's Cuore parks inside, but there ain't no room for the old man's car!
The pain in the a*** about the whole thing is that he has an occasional clean-up (ie rearranges the crap!) and "invites" me round to give him a hand (ie pick up all the heavy stuff)...
Re: Hoarding - Brian
I find that if I am feeling confident and secure I chuck stuff out, when not so confident and secure and I hoard in case I can't afford a new one when I need it.
Looking at the loft and garage it must be a long time since I felt confident and secure!
Re: Hoarding - Steve Phillips
But when SWMBO comes home and wails - as she does most weeks - "Steve, my car's making a funny noise....!", then she's VERY glad she married a man with a garage full of jam jars containing nuts, bolts, screws, washers and limitless assorted sproggits! Anyone need brand-new gasket sets for a 1967 Lambretta J125?? For some reason, that's another thing I've got a heap of - in original packaging, of course!!
Re: Hoarding - Alwyn
A problem I had was that I had so much "Good" junk that I didn't know what was there.

Looking for chain wrench, I failed to find it, bought another and a month later, found the original.

Ho hum
men and women - Randolph Lee
Oil Change Instructions For Women

1) Pull up to Jiffy-Lube when the mileage reaches 3,000 miles since the
last oil change.
2) Drink a cup of coffee.
3) 15 minutes later, write a check and leave with a properly maintained
vehicle.

Money spent: Oil Change $20.00, Coffee 1.00, Total -- $21.00

Oil Change Instructions For Men

1) Go to auto parts store and write a check for $50.00 for oil, filter,
kitty litter, hand cleaner, and a scented tree.
2) Discover that the used oil container is full. Instead of taking it
back to O'Reilly to recycle, dump in hole in back yard.
3) Open a beer and drink it.
4) Jack car up. Spend 30 minutes looking for jack stands.
5) Find jack stands under kid's pedal car.
6) In frustration, open another beer and drink it.
7) Place drain pan under engine.
8) Look for 9/16 box end wrench.
9) Give up and use crescent wrench.
10) Unscrew drain plug.
11) Drop drain plug in pan of hot oil: get hot oil on you in process.
12) Clean up mess.
13) Have another beer while watching oil drain.
14) Look for oil filter wrench.
15) Give up; poke oil filter with screwdriver and twist off.
16) Beer.
17) Buddy shows up; finish case of beer with him. Finish oil change
tomorrow.
18) Next day, drag pan full of old oil out from underneath car.
19) Throw kitty litter on oil spilled during step #18.
20) Beer. No, drank it all yesterday.
21) Walk to 7-11; buy beer.
22) Install new oil filter, making sure to apply a thin coat of oil to
gasket surface.
23) Dump first quart of fresh oil into engine.
24) Remember drain plug from step #11.
25) Hurry to find drain plug in drain pan.
26) Discover that the used oil is buried in a hole in the back yard,
along with drain plug.
27) Drink beer.
28) Uncover hole and sift for drain plug.
29) Discover that first quart of fresh oil is now on the floor.
30) Drink beer.
31) Slip with wrench tightening drain plug and bang knuckles on frame.
32) Bang head on floorboards in reaction to step #31.
33) Begin cussing fit.
34) Throw wrench.
35) Cuss for additional 10 minutes because wrench hit Miss December
(1992) in the left boob.
36) Beer.
37) Clean up hands and forehead and bandage as required to stop blood
flow.
38) Beer.
39) Beer.
40) Dump in five fresh quarts of oil.
41) Beer.
42) Lower car from jack stands.
43) Accidentally crush one of the jack stands.
44) Move car back to apply more kitty litter to fresh oil spilled during
step #23.
45) Beer.
46) Test drive car.
47) Get pulled over: arrested for driving under the influence.
48) Car gets impounded.
49) Make bail.
50) Get car from impound yard.

Money spent: Parts $50.00, DUI $2,500.00, Impound fee 75.00,
Bail $1,500.00, Beer $25.00, Total -- $4,150.00

But you know the job was done right!!!
Re: men and women - Ian Cook
So, Randolph - this is how you keep a Jeep running eh? Better ask DW if the same procedure should be used on Land Rovers.

Ian
Re: men and women - Randolph Lee
No Ian, just something I found on the web some time ago and saved and the "Men are from Mars; Women are from Venus" aspect of this thread reminded me of it, so I searched the Hard drives till it turned up....

On the main topic Women just don't seem to understand the concept of "It might come in handy/useful/essential someday" I expect that many PhD Papers have been done on just this topic over the years all over the world, tracing this difference in the sexes back the stone age and beyond... I would bet quite a bit that the Treasure hoards that are dug up from time to time were 90% hidden by men

Randolph Lee
Nantucket Island, USA

PS; a new photo has been posted on Lee's Photo site (in the people section) that shows my late father with his 300SL gullwing that might be of interest to some, he bought it new in 1955 and this photo was taken in about 1972 so you can see he seldom let things go early either.
communities.msn.com/honestjohn/people.msnw?action=...4
Re: men and women - James
There's a current UK TV programme called 'The Life Laundry' where some bossy American woman tidies up people's houses on camera. Much wailing and gnashing of teeth, but afterwards the women usually say how wonderful it all is, and the blokes don't say much at all. One did say that he appreciated the newly reclaimed space, but he wasn't sure if it was worth the heartache, which would be my sentiments, I think.
Re: men and women - Rita

Food for thought?

My then nearly 70 year old brother-in-law collapsed and died two years ago. He was a man who was brought up in extreme poverty and could not abide waste. To have to pay good money on something when it could be avoided if he had the equivalent in his garage was anathema to him.

He was a very practical man, much like all your good-selves, and had a great deal of experience with stripping down car and lorry engines and repairing them on the road-side. He was so innovative that he could have dined out with the like of you on his stories.

I think he must have invented the phrase ' you never know when it might come in handy'.

While he lived there was no problem. When my sister was widowed it became her problem because she was the one that had to clear a large garage literally stocked from floor to ceiling and wall to wall with 'stuff'; plus a loft similarly encumbered. It meant that she couldn't put her house on the market and downsize (to use the vernacular) unless and until she had sorted, categorized, valued and sold or disposed of the 'stuff'.

The garage alone yielded -

5 defunct washing machine
13 (this is not a typo) assorted types and sizes of lawn mowers
5 wooden chests of various sizes and from good to crap condition
10 socket sets ranging from small to horrendously huge. The huge one must have fallen of the back of the Euruostar. Honest, each socket weight a ton.
Myriad car parts
2 rusty and unusable bicycles of vintage appearance
Too many tools to categorise
1 unused - thank God - portable toilet
Sundry bails, books, bins and bottles; the last of these were filled with unimaginable cocktails of unknown fluids. No, not booze, he didn't drink.
Shelving - wooden, aluminium and rusty.
Fishing rods
Smaller things in larger things and so on, ad infinitum
1 rocking house, sans hair and stirrups
5 very large tarpaulins
Chains and ropes and planes - only kidding about the planes, they were toy ones. Incidentally, some of the chains were large enough to hold the QE2 at anchor in a gale
Jars, tins and boxes of every nail, screw, nut and bolt in every conceivable size known to man.

and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on,
and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on

That then left the loft to be cleared and then, of course, the house. Last but not least the 3 cars on the drive that had to be made road worthy so that they could be sold.

Whilst all this had its very funny side and we had many a chuckle over newly uncovered mysteries - why and when would he have bought such an item. More to point, why did he keep it when it wouldn't/couldn't have served any useful purpose.

Seriously, the practical and physical difficulties involved in collating, selling and disposing of so many disparate items were immense. It took several months at a time when my sister was still knocked sideways by her husband's death.

One thing we did find out was that anything left on the drive had a happy knack of being knicked which disposed of some items. Then some by-passing gypies offered to remove some for a fee. She managed to charge them for the removal instead. A jocular remark about iffy M.O.T's certainly didn't ruin her deal in this case. Then the liasing with the local Council to pick up and dispose of the washing machines and similar is a story in itself.

I suppose the secret is to jack the junk and keep the rest. Having the wisdom to know the diference I think is the key.

Which brings me to debate with myself as to whether I really, really need to keep curtains from two houses ago. And is it really necessary to store furniture in wardrobes (where else would I keep it, the garage is full!). And wearing mini skirts in the '60s is a tad different to wearing them in ones 60s. Do I really want to keep the 3 inch stilletoe shoes of my youth now that bunion time is near; and the faux fur that fit me a treat when I was two sizes smaller not only doesn't fit it doesn't even look fashionably vintage

and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on,
and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on