VW UK - Colin

have been battering my head against wall with Dealer and VW UK over multiple probs with 115 Golf. Thanks for you help along the way. VW UK have offered £250 compensation for hassle as a gesture. A pathetic figure for months of grief. The dealer has offered nothing and VWUK tell me that as an independent franchisee the dealer can do what they want. Also that as importer VWUK cannot discuss specific issues such as emergency recovery/ warranty probs. They have given me the name of customer services manager in Wolfsburg to follow up. But that's another layer of hassle.
Can someone explain the relationship between importer and manufacturer to me?

Colin
Re: VW UK - honest john
In UK law a purchasers right of redress over the purchase of a faulty product is against the supplier, not the manufacturer. This applies to both contract law and The Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994. The fact that many manufacturers or importers assume responsibility does no alter UK law. The difference between a manufacturer and an importer is the simple one that the manufacturer makes the cars and the importer is a UK company that imports them. Under EU law, an importer in any EU state via its dealers has to assume responsibility for warranty work on any of its make of car originally purchased from an official dealer within the EU for 12 months. No longer.

HJ
Re: VW UK - Colin
thanks for that

I'm determined to get someone to accept some responsibility for the failings,
be it the dealer or importer. The importer denied any control or business relationship with VW emergency services who failed to attend on breakdown? claiming this was an entirely separate organisation. I'm still following this one up.

Colin