speed citation USA - manor27
I am contesting a speeding citation by post to California. Claim is a radar in a highway patrol car regisered my car at 101 mph, which is totally wrong. Any ideas as to what I should write on the written declaration, to save a bail bond of $681.
speed citation USA - local yokel
What speed do you think you were doing? Was/is the car yours, or hired to you?
speed citation USA - trancer
Do a websearch for one of those traffic lawyer/ticket clinic type outfits. They usually have a flat fee and offer various deals such as refund of the fee if they don't get you off the charge etc. Having been to traffic court in the US a few times years ago and seeing them in operation I would say they had a 95% success rate, and the ones they couldn't win were usually a repeat offender or more serious cases involving accidents with injuries etc. I think the judge just couldn't be bothered and was handing out reduced fines or throwing out the case altogether.

I don't want to put you off fighting the charge if you feel you are innocent, but I have to be honest and say that if you are going against what a police officer says, without legal representation, you won't win. People were trying all sorts of defences, questioning the calibration of the radar guns, the accuracy of police car speedos etc and nothing worked. Not fair, I know, but thats the way it is.
speed citation USA - Peter C
If you live in the UK why not ignore it ? Surely you will not be treated like the Nat West 3 ? Then again his Tonyness might just send you packing.

speed citation USA - rtj70
But when you next travel to USA you have a problem if not resolved. Best of luck OP. Sure it can be sorted without too much problems.

I got done for 97mph on a motorway in the UK... got 5 points and £150 fine. So less than your bail bond by far. Have not speeded like that since.

Maybe get a feel of what the worst could be and "haggle". At least it's only money and not points for USA.

Note once went to Canada and passenger next to me expected hastle due to something or other (probably car related though). And indeed he got hastled and it was years later.

Bottom line sort it out now... then why go to CA again :-)
speed citation USA - cheddar
Presumably a hire car company passed your details on to the CA authorities. Were you driving at the time or did you pick up / drop off the hire car, that day, i.e. could anyone else have been driving, hire car staff or previous/subsequent hiree? Have they got the date right?

If bang to rights on the fact that you were driving I suggest a letter stating that it is unreasnable for them to ask you to incriminate yourself, that you are you sure you were not speeding and that if they think they have evidence to the contrary they need to provide it etc etc.
speed citation USA - cheddar
Doh! "unreasonable .............., that you are sure you were not................."
speed citation USA - Altea Ego
If you live in the UK why not ignore it ?

Unfortunately, the US is very well computerised. Next time you pass through the hallowed doors of US immigration at the airport it will be there staring the officer in the face in the finest font that Microsoft can offer.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
speed citation USA - henry k
Unfortunately, the US is very well computerised.

Oh yes you have got to believe it.

20, yes 20 years ago I had a demo of this in a regular police patrol car in Houston.
Even then they could look up the ownership of a car by imputting the registration number.

I would not fool with the US lads so IMO I would sort it out if you want to revisit the US.
speed citation USA - Cyd

>> If you live in the UK why not ignore it ?

Unfortunately, the US is very well computerised. Next time you pass through the hallowed doors of US immigration at the airport it will be there staring the officer in the face in the finest font that Microsoft can offer. ------------------------------ TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >

Ask youself if you would EVER like to visit the USA again. That computerised notification will probably get you on the first available seat back to Blighty. Or a first class ticket to the nearest cell.

In fact nowadays airlines have to provide passenger manifests before the flight leaves. So you'd never even leave Blighty.

Oh, and that includes passing through