peugeot 406 exec turbo petrol - sammyboy
Hello
I have just fitted a new clutch and have done something wrong. When I did the "slowly depress the pedal, wait ten seconds and slowly bring the pedal back up" routine recommended in Haynes, there was no pressure at all, but just before reaching the end of its' travel; it snatched the pedal to the floor, where I think it would have stayed had I not pulled it back up. I've had the slave cylinder back out to check if the bearing was properly snapped in and there seems to be only enough play for the arm to move between the two sets of lugs. During the work the push rod fell out when I accidently knocked it but at no time was the clutch pedal depressed. Any advice?
Regards Tom
peugeot 406 exec turbo petrol - Screwloose
Tom

Invert yourself and have a look up the back of the clutch pedal. You should see a "clutch assistor unit" - a plastic, ball-ended, rod with a spring over it. This is the commonest cause of 406's [and others] clutches sticking-down and playing games while bleeding. Wearing eye-protection, slip off the retaining clips and remove it. You can even live without it if you want to.

If bleeding the clutch is being a right pain; connect a bit of clean rubber tube from a front brake bleedscrew to the clutch bleedscrew and use the fluid expelled from the caliper when you gently press the brake to reverse-fill the clutch system. Keep an eye on the fluid levels [or it'll get messy] and just re-bleed the clutch with new fluid, in the conventional way, once you've got a decent clutch pedal.
Thanks Mate,
Peugeot say that it is a sealed unit and cannot be bled. Replacement cost £188.54.
Please tell me they are wrong and elaborate on how to bleed the system.
Regards Tom

{Full quote of the message being replied to has been deleted - see "responding to posts" over in discussion ( www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=42612 ) - DD}
peugeot 406 exec turbo petrol - Screwloose
Tom

Did you try taking the assistor off? If you've got the unbleedable system, this must be a late model D9 - yes? How did you get any air into it? Has the slave-cyl leaked and lost all the fluid? Can't recall if the petrol set-up is different; but the HDi "sealed" system does have a "bleedscrew" of sorts. [IIRC; been a while since I've seen a 406 petrol with a hydraulic clutch.]

If they don't put a bleedscrew on the petrols; then it'll be a new m/cyl, pipe and slave unit, I'm afraid. Tried a factors for a pattern one?
Hi Mate
Thanks for the input. Yes it's a master slave set up, one of the push types. I am trying for a pattern one but I wont see any results till tomorrow. How did I get air in the system? Well, I figured that if the system is sealed; as long as the clutch pedal wasn't depressed the rod would be held in by the hydraulic vacuum. So I put it to one side when I got it out and didn't bother to tie it in. But I knocked it while I was struggling to get the L.H. support bracket off the transmission housing (what a pig of a job that was) and the rod fell out. Either my theory about the hydraulics was wrong or I damaged the seal on removal. Perhaps because it has been on there for 197000 miles or perhaps because my hands are not strong enough for that particular job I had to use mole gripsto get it off.The cylinder didn't look to be distorted but Maybe it doesn't have to be in order to break the seal. Also, because of the awkward position it is in, I definitely knocked it against its' housing as I was removing it and so could have pulled it out of its' seal. Never having seen how far it should protrude from the cylinder I have no way of knowing.