EOS alternatives - IanJohnson
SWMBO had an altercation with a little old lady at a roundabout which has ended in the little old lady admitting fault and SWMBO's 20 month old A2 being written off! The gap insurance looks a very good buy now!

She wants an EOS but lead time is likely to be longer than the lengh of time she can hold on to the replacement car. She would like a convertioble and will want to specify her own colour and extras so will probably be new (I know it is stupid but someone has to do it and she doesn't give me any choice - if I want a reasonably quiet life).

Needs to be faster than a petrol A2 to 60 (sub 12 seconds) budget probably 20-22k.

Suggestions for alternatives welcome
EOS alternatives - tr7v8
New Alfa Spider? Based on the GT, looks gorgeous, even the diesel will be quicker than an A2. Much better than a Golf convertable anyway!
EOS alternatives - y2k+4
There's loads! Astra Twintop, Megane CC, 307 CC. I expect you can order the last of the current-TT roadsters and get a chunk off. Mini Cooper S convertible too. There'll be the Focus CC soon too, which will be similar to the Volvo C70, I imagine. Might be able to get a Saab 9-3 convertible, if you haggle...Lotus Elise-S, top-of the range Beetle-conv...
EOS alternatives - wotspur
I've always fancied a Subauru, but it's not practical, very fast and look good,or what about a Bmw Z range
EOS alternatives - oldgit
. Much better than a
Golf convertable anyway!

That's not what the latest WhatCar magazine says, though. Have you read it yet?

I'm not, for one minute, suggesting that one should take for gospel what these mags say, however!

EOS alternatives - Avant
A sightly left-field thought for Mrs J - if you have funds available why not order an Eos and buy an old Golf convertible for now? It would probably hold its value for a few months and your loss would be minimal - and she gets an open top for this summer.
EOS alternatives - Avant
Or similarly an old MX5 if she doesn't need four seats.
Looonnng discussin last night - she will not go for a used car despite my view that she would get a better car that way and not suffer the depreciation hit.

Options considered

MX5 (current), Z4, - soft top and cannot fit cold box in when she goes shopping, MX5 is soon to be replaced and Z4 too much to insure (don't know what effect a no-fault accident will have on her premiums!

Renault cabrio - we once had a Scenic and will never own another Renault.

Peugeot. 206CC - she had one for six months 4 years ago and no spare wheel rules it out. 307CC - she drove a 306 one as a loaner when she had the 206 and hated it.

Alfa - won't take the risk on reliability.

New MX5 (for Xmas?) - risky to order before we see it and won't take the cool box, at least it has a hard top.

Vauxhall twin top - its a Vauxhall and I am wary of spending over 20k on an Astra!

Focus - not available but see Vauxhall.

Mini - not a practical proposition other than for a poser - no boot space, rear seats next to useless (as 206CC) and no spare.

TT - she has sat in one and feels it is too low.

SLK - My preference second hand but she will not have a used car!

Audi A4, Saab, Volvo - too big and budget will not stretch to new, especially at this time of year.

Current view is order an EOS, use taxis til no.1 son goes back to university then insure her to drive his car (we bought it and insure it anyway) til the EOS comes. After a couple of months driving a non-A/C 1.0 Corsa anything woould be heaven.

So what is the best colour for resale values - Silver?
And how does the aftermarket market view red leather?

EOS alternatives - Carrow
Honda S2000?
EOS alternatives - y2k+4
Personally, I'd never buy a leather-clad convertible - the heat it would potentially pick up under the sun would be too much for me. That said, I am a fan of the red. I'd say the Eos looks pretty good in black, myself...
EOS alternatives - boxsterboy
I'm picking up a second hand current shape Merc CLK 240 (V6) cabriolet this afternoon for less than a new EOS. I think the EOS is pretty but overpriced, especially after you add a few essential options.
EOS alternatives - colinh
The EOS is on the wish-list for next year - when the "bugs" have been eliminated; meanwhile I find this detail a worry:

static.flickr.com/73/193872119_630006c4ef_o.jpg {Link corrected - DD}

This is a fairly old photo from a motor show last year, so production models may be different, but there appear to be a lot of things that could go wrong.
Sorry link wouldn't work - photo of mechanism at rear - lots of exposed parts - haven't seen one in the showrooms yet, so don't know if it's improved.
EOS alternatives - mss1tw
Worked for me
EOS alternatives - daveyjp
Our friends picked up thier EOS yesterday. I'l be seeing it tonight and will report back.
EOS alternatives - Gromit {P}
IIRC, the reason leather is preferable in convertibles is in case you get caught in the rain with the top down - easier to dry and clean leather than fabric afterwards. So maybe check this aspect out when picking the interior?
EOS alternatives - Carrow
EOS??
EOS alternatives - Hamsafar
A hairdresser's golf.
So have VW abandoned naming their cars after winds and currents?
EOS alternatives - rtj70
What wind/current was Lupo, Golf, Polo, Touareg and Phaeton then?

Lupo = wolf (from the Italian)
Touareg = Tuareg = Berber ethnic group or nation
Phaeton = Son of Helios, the sun god (or is a car body style used in vintage cars from several different manufacturers en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phaeton)
EOS alternatives - bell boy
EOS??

code for the sothern counties maybe?
E=HE O=ODA S=HORSE????

HE HADA HORSE??????? pass?
EOS alternatives - AlastairW
It is named after the Roman goddess Eos. According to Pears Cyclopeadia, 2003 edition, she was Goddess of the dawn. I imagine their net model will be called the Hyperion or some such:0)
EOS alternatives - bell boy
thanks i feel thick now ;)
EOS alternatives - Avant
Just for the record, Eos was the Greek goddess of dawn.. The Roman version was Aurora. - dawn was seen as golden.
EOS alternatives - Hamsafar

What wind/current was Lupo, Golf, Polo, Touareg and Phaeton then?

Golf = German for Gulfstream
Passat = German for Tradewind
Jetta = German for Jet Stream
Bora = A cold wind that blows near Hungary in Adriatic sea
Scirocco = A warm wind from Africa to Meditteranian
..and their forthcoming "baby" 4x4 is to be...Tiguan!
Have now seen the Eos in the metal. Certainly is a nice car, well specced and well bolted together. Our friends have the 2.0TDi Sport version with optional leather interior. Car is larger than the Golf, but smaller than the Passat, but due to the five piece roof doesn't have a huge back end like the Pug and Renault. The big bonus for this car is the room in the back. Look inside the Pug and the backseat is redundant unless you are under three years old. Last night we had 4 adults in the car and the two in the back (including a six footer) had enough room to be comfortable for a lengthy journey. There is also a good amount of boot left when the roof is down - certainly enough for a large suitcase. The Focus equivalent will have to be good to match it.
EOS alternatives - Round The Bend
Beetle = nasty crawling creature
Polo = a hole with a mint around it
_______
IanS
I am sure the 5-piece roof on the EOS will be a problem in the long term, if the various 3-piece roofs on the market are anything to go by. Pug 206CC problems are common, but even SLK roofs have been known to play up.
But the cool box won't fit in the boot!
Saw my first EOS on Tuesday - looked very smart.

Saw my second EOS this morning, being recovered by the AA - didn't look very smart.
EOS alternatives - Aprilia
But the cool box won't fit in the boot!

Wouldn't it be easier to buy a differently sized coolbox or one of those flexible 'coolbags' rather than choosing a car to fit your current coolbox?
EOS alternatives - ukbeefy
How far is your preferred supermarket or is your wife a food hygeine paranoid obsessive? The rest of us just use plastic bags.....
EOS alternatives - ukbeefy
Is it just me or are many of these couple convertibles "alot" dearer proportionately than their hatchback underpinning equivalents? I look at things like an EOS and think it should cost about 17-21K (ie 2-4K premium) and not 21-28K......Is it the usual think of VW expecting to grab a massive price premium based on "German build" even though it is assembling the car not in Germany..(believe its done in Portugal)....
EOS alternatives - Nickdm
- Agreed, ukbeefy. I've ditched my idea of buying a new Volvo C70 cabrio, and for UK3 grand less I'm getting a much better specc'ed V50 estate, with a much better powertrain (D5 geartronic). A cabrio specc'ed up to the equivalent level costs over 6 grand more than the saloon..!

But isn't Ford droping hints that the upcoming Focus cabrio will only cost around £17k? Might be a bargain...
EOS alternatives - Westpig
Ian,

Have you thought about trading in SWMBO as well........you could get a cracking deal and it wouldn't matter what you got.
The EOS isn't based on any other VAG chassis so has no 'hatchback underpinning equivalent'. Like any niche car they won't sell many so they are more expensive. Other makers offer cheaper alternatives, but you will find their spec is lower, so a top range cheaper alternative is required to compete with a base level Eos.