98 Peugeot 406 2.1td CAT - gsb
I think cat maybe on way out as it sounds like an internal rattling from exhaust system. I have previously read on HJ that you can rod the cat out and just leave empty. Is this relatively easy to do and would there be any increase in noise. Also, as I believe the car does not legally require a cat, could I just replace with a straight piece of pipe. Obviously Peugeot and gsf etc don't supply this bit. Anyone any ideas where from or if it is viable to try and source one.

Thanks
98 Peugeot 406 2.1td CAT - bell boy
the cat cleans exhaust fumes
it will fail an mot without it
it would be difficult to bradle it out
i dont recommend after market cats
i would rather put a low mileage s/h one on from a crashed car
im sure if you join the max power forum (sure they will have one?) get by all the bare bits always on show and i reckon someone will advise about a straight through pipe that will add at least 25 bhp thwat to your motor.................. ; )
the legal bit is open to conjecture because without a cat you are breaking construction and use regulations
98 Peugeot 406 2.1td CAT - mss1tw
Diesels don't need a CAT legally as far as I know.
98 Peugeot 406 2.1td CAT - bell boy
oops missed diesel bit as im a petrol man :-0

thanks mss1tw...............it is very hot.......

ignore my post then
98 Peugeot 406 2.1td CAT - mss1tw
:^D Your advice is usually spot on so I dare say I can let thy off just this once. ;o)
98 Peugeot 406 2.1td CAT - dieselhead
With a straight through pipe replacing the CAT the exhaust will be noticeably noisier,..i suspect less so if the ceramic part of the cat is removed with a metal bar. The catalyst serves similar function to old expansion box. I usually replace cat with pre cat system from earlier model part from motor factor.
98 Peugeot 406 2.1td CAT - gsb
Thanks, but unfortunately as the 2.1 was only around for about 2 years I think they always had a cat.
98 Peugeot 406 2.1td CAT - dieselhead
In that case option would be to buy an early 306 TD pipe and modify that or weld in a suitable expansion box (most exhaust places will let you have old boxes for nothing).