Citroen C3 broken front spring - Clanger
Last year our August '02 Citroen C3 was recalled to have some cups fitted to the front suspension struts to stop the spring end stabbing the front tyre if said spring snapped. Citroen's word on the recall notice is "exceptional event". For a week or two there has been a light intermittent irregular rattle from the front of the car which I discovered on Saturday was the end of the snapped spring, still in its plastic protective coating, tapping on the newly-fitted cup. So now the "exceptional event" has happened and I have a car, albeit driveable, with a broken spring. It's also nearly a year out of warranty.

A few minutes ago, I took a deep breath, prepared myself for a row and rang the local dealer. The conversation lasted only minutes. The service manager said that he had complained to Citroen and when could I bring the car in for a warranty replacement. Here's a happy customer:-)

Now I know of one Backroomer who has fitted a spring himself; the purpose of this post is to invite anyone else with a broken C3 spring and a car out of warranty to ring their dealer, they may be pleasantly surprised.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Citroen C3 broken front spring - mare
Hi Hawkeye,

can you expand what the rattle sounded like, and did it occur in certain conditions?

I ask because our 54 reg C3 makes a funny noise, but only braking downhill. I thought it was a bit of trim which i put back into place.

TIA

slightly concerned mare
Citroen C3 broken front spring - LeePower
They should replace BOTH front springs.

Your gonna end up woth a new spring on one side & a worn one on the other, The handling will be upset, Springs, shocks, brake discs & sets of pads should for safety sake ONLY every be fitted in pairs on one axle.
Citroen C3 broken front spring - Dynamic Dave
They should replace BOTH front springs.

Unfortunately a lot of the time only the defective spring or shock absorber will be placed under warranty, regardless of whether they should replaced in pairs.
Citroen C3 broken front spring - Galaxy
My Mondeo broke a front spring earlier this year.

When I asked the garage what was needed to effect a repair I was told it was quite OK just to replace the broken spring. I did query this advice but was assured the car would be fine with just one spring changed, and, I have to say, they were right because it was!
Citroen C3 broken front spring - bell boy
well got to say i will put my hand up and say i dont replace both front springs if i find one broken as even for a humble fiesta they are £28 each before pinch bolts time etc are added.....never had one saggy at one side afterwards either as they break due to poor metal rather than old saggy age.
I think you did the right thing by the way Hawkeye {P} well done and as ive always said citroen dealers at least in my neck of the wood are all first class and helpful to the extreme...
Citroen C3 broken front spring - Simon
I don't think that springs are that critical that they need to be replaced in pairs. Shock absorbers yes, springs no. Unless they are physically broken then they are still servicable. The dealer certainly isn't going to replace both in this case, especially as only one is broken and the car is a year out of warranty. The car will be perfectly safe with one new spring and one old spring. If it was safety critical that you had to change them in pairs then they wouldn't sell them singularly.
sorry simon excellant post its just that im a slow tipper ; )
Slightly concerned mare,
The noise I heard be mimicked by tapping a ball-point pen on eg a desk or window sill. It could scarcely be heard above the engine noise and there was no pattern to it. A visual inspection with the wheel removed will confirm if the spring is whole or not.

LeePower,
Technically I agree with you; practically I doubt if Mrs H or I could tell the difference between one old and one new spring; Hawkeye is not an alias for Jason Plato or Colin McRae.

Others,
The garage has just rung up and asked me to turn up in the car so they can look at the markings on the suspension and order the correct springS (plural). I replied that the car was some miles away but the springs had 3 yellow dots on and hoped this helped. I don't know whether they are going to replace one or both. 3 hours ago I would have been placated by an offer of goodwill assistance towards the cost of replacing one spring; the car is not a premium product and is 11 months out of warranty. I will report back after the work is done.

Hawkeye
Slightly concerned mare,
The noise I heard be mimicked by tapping a ball-point pen
on eg a desk or window sill. It could scarcely be
heard above the engine noise and there was no pattern to
it. A visual inspection with the wheel removed will confirm if
the spring is whole or not.

Thanks Hawkeye, it would seem we have a broken spring then.

Dumb question: what am looking for underneath?
Citroen C3 broken front spring - RichardW
"Dumb question: what am looking for underneath?"

Dumb answer: A broken spring!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

The suspension spring between the hub and the car - if it's broken then you should be able to see a loose piece somewhere near the bottom of the spring.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
If you cut/paste this link into your browser and remove the spaces in http you could find out if the car is at risk by matching your VIN to those listed
h t t p ://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/carlgvowners/vehicleaccidentsandrecalls/vehicl
eaccidentsandrecalls.htm

In my case I was replacing the brake pads so had the car jacked up with the wheel off and I knew what the spring is supposed to look like. Good luck but your car should still be under warranty anyway.

Hawkeye
By means of an update:

car went into dealer: nothing wrong with it apparently.

They fixed the windscreen washers though (fuse)

I'll keep listening out for the noise, but the driving behaviuor seems to be unaffected.

Ta
Just got the C3 back from the dealers. The worksheet shows they have replaced both front springs. When questioned the receptionist said that she had been told that they always replace springs in pairs. The car is jetwashed and looking it's best. Front wheels done up to a consistent 70 ft/lb torque as far as I can tell. Mrs H and I are both very happy.
Hawkeye
excellant service from another citroen dealer they should go in the hall of fame...you should name them for excellant service Hawkeye {P}.......
Citroen C3 broken front spring - Galaxy
Yes, an excellent result!

you should name them for excellant service Hawkeye {P}.......

Done ...

Known variously as Peter Marwood, Marwood Citroen or (confusingly but related to the group that has recently bought them) or Barkers Citroen all of Brompton on Swale, North Yorkshire.
Hawkeye